2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
User avatar
addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am

D-Fusion wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am
I was firm on not buying anymore hw since i was happy with my Digital Setup Roland FA + 2 JX-03's but after some thought i ended up with a Analog Mono (The Behringer Neutron), which looks like this :)
Image
iIrc, toonertik, bought one of those to scratch a small hardware itch.
now has a wall of eurocrack. :hihi:

have fun patching :ud:

KVRAF
3696 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:17 pm

foosnark wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:31 am
I am not a Behringer fan, but I have to admit that overlay makes the Neutron look sharp :tu:
Not a B Fan either But i wanted a awesome sounding Mono synth with lots of sound design options + as cheap as possible and Voila here it is :hihi:
vurt wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 am
D-Fusion wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am
I was firm on not buying anymore hw since i was happy with my Digital Setup Roland FA + 2 JX-03's but after some thought i ended up with a Analog Mono (The Behringer Neutron), which looks like this :)
Image
iIrc, toonertik, bought one of those to scratch a small hardware itch.
now has a wall of eurocrack. :hihi:

have fun patching :ud:
Thanks, Playing with it now and it sounds just as great as it did the first time i had one when they came out.

Now that winter is coming it might not be a bad idea.
I mean a wall full of lights and buttons + sound beats a boring heater anyday :party:

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:33 pm

and they do get warm!

plus, saves on xmas lights :tu:

User avatar
KVRAF
4293 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:59 pm

I actually wanted a battleship delay pedal as well, but it was out of stock. Sadly (for my wallet),
they got some in.

Image

User avatar
KVRAF
11534 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:54 pm

I tried out my EHX Tube EQ yesterday and found that the mid-band was cutting out frequently. A risk of buying this kind of thing used. :shrug:
Luckily it was an easy fix. I reflowed two bad solder joints for the Mid Gain pot and all was well. I'm really happy it wasn't something more serious as it's otherwise in like-new condition.

The bass and treble bands are simple shelves with fixed frequency. The circuit is pretty simple at first glance, so I may be able to add frequency controls. The mid band is really interesting. At high Q settings it will totally self-oscillate but there is a lot of useable range before that.

With a gain stage in front, it breaks up really nicely. It works great in the feedback loop with my Deluxe Memory Man 1100TT. Dubby delays for days! With the treble and bass turned down, the mid cranked and an expression pedal connected, it makes a great wah too. I had some fun tonight, modulating the exp input with a Hungry Robot LFO. I'm really happy with this one!

User avatar
KVRAF
4293 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 pm

justin3am wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:54 pm
I tried out my EHX Tube EQ yesterday and found that the mid-band was cutting out frequently. A risk of buying this kind of thing used. :shrug:
Luckily it was an easy fix. I reflowed two bad solder joints for the Mid Gain pot and all was well. I'm really happy it wasn't something more serious as it's otherwise in like-new condition.

The bass and treble bands are simple shelves with fixed frequency. The circuit is pretty simple at first glance, so I may be able to add frequency controls. The mid band is really interesting. At high Q settings it will totally self-oscillate but there is a lot of useable range before that.

With a gain stage in front, it breaks up really nicely. It works great in the feedback loop with my Deluxe Memory Man 1100TT. Dubby delays for days! With the treble and bass turned down, the mid cranked and an expression pedal connected, it makes a great wah too. I had some fun tonight, modulating the exp input with a Hungry Robot LFO. I'm really happy with this one!
Nice! They have the EHX Memory Man1100TT at the local music shop. I'll probably
buy it sooner or later.

User avatar
KVRAF
11534 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:57 am

pekbro wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 pm
Nice! They have the EHX Memory Man1100TT at the local music shop. I'll probably
buy it sooner or later.
:love: It's my favorite BBD delay. I have two of them. Since it uses 4 MN3205 chips at a relatively high clock rate, there is very little filtering happening, even at maximum delay time. I think I remember Sean Costello saying that it's one of his favorite BBDs too. The open feedback loop, CV input and tap input make it really flexible.
There are a few new BBDs that I would like to try at some point, I'm not sure if you've seen these:
https://www.ashevillemusictools.com/ (from one of the designers of the Moog MF-104)
https://www.suhr.com/electronics/pedals ... ery-delay/

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:33 am

watched panic girl on make noise earlier, never heard of her before (im useless, dont spend any time at wigglers) was a nice, simple but cool patch she did, layering chords over a generative melody using the mimeo and morphagene to create fake polyphony.
never really took much notice of the dpo before, but it was what she used for tone generation, now im watching dpo videos :cry:

KVRAF
7205 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:33 am
never really took much notice of the dpo before, but it was what she used for tone generation, now im watching dpo videos :cry:
I hadn't paid much attention to it either, until I started watching the Cinematic Laboratory
dude, a year or so ago. Then I saw that it was much more functional, useful, and appealing to me. I don't feel the 'need' for one, but he highlights it in this series, frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBN7mfc ... sqe-bn2__U
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

User avatar
KVRAF
11534 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Yes, the DPO is lovely. I think there are people who would say that there are better/more accurate takes on the Buchla 259 but I really love the DPO. The Shape, Angle and Fold section sounds very different from the 259 I used but it's character works very well with other Make Noise stuff. Syncing the secondary osc to the primary can get really brutal when using a lot of FM.
You can get a lot of action from just a DPO and Rene or 0-CTRL, which is nice.

User avatar
KVRAF
5936 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 pm

I tried a DPO, didn't really get along with it as well as some other complex oscillators, but I love a lot of what I've heard other people do with it. :D

Something about Make Noise's wavefolders/timbre sections just don't do it for me. My favorite analog complex oscillator was the Pittsburgh Double Helix, and I really should have held onto it instead of foolishly trying to replace so much good stuff with an ER-301 Sound Computer. :dog: If I ever decide to let go of the Odessa or Akemie's Castle, it might be to grab a DH again. Sometimes they can be found really cheap.

User avatar
KVRAF
7264 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:12 pm

pekbro wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:59 pm
I actually wanted a battleship delay pedal as well, but it was out of stock. Sadly (for my wallet),
they got some in.

Image
I've been keeping an eye out for a secondhand Timeline myself! Feeling a little jealous now... :( :lol:

User avatar
KVRAF
4293 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:15 pm

justin3am wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:57 am
pekbro wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 pm
Nice! They have the EHX Memory Man1100TT at the local music shop. I'll probably
buy it sooner or later.
:love: It's my favorite BBD delay. I have two of them. Since it uses 4 MN3205 chips at a relatively high clock rate, there is very little filtering happening, even at maximum delay time. I think I remember Sean Costello saying that it's one of his favorite BBDs too. The open feedback loop, CV input and tap input make it really flexible.
There are a few new BBDs that I would like to try at some point, I'm not sure if you've seen these:
https://www.ashevillemusictools.com/ (from one of the designers of the Moog MF-104)
https://www.suhr.com/electronics/pedals ... ery-delay/
Yeah, it being mono is the biggest reason I haven't bought the 1100TT yet. I would need 2 of them. :cry: Damn, those others are cool looking as well, the Suhr in particular. :tu:

User avatar
KVRAF
4293 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:20 pm

cryophonik wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:12 pm
pekbro wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:59 pm
I actually wanted a battleship delay pedal as well, but it was out of stock. Sadly (for my wallet),
they got some in.

Image
I've been keeping an eye out for a secondhand Timeline myself! Feeling a little jealous now... :( :lol:
I am looking forward to it, it should go well with the BigSky. It's expensive though, 4 sure,
but their stuff is super nice I think. :)

User avatar
KVRAF
4293 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:51 pm

The Feedback Modules Mix BX Mixer is super cool, a nice choice if you want a huge ass mixer to put in your eurorack system. Unfortunately you can't actually buy one currently, that will change hopefully, at some point. :tu:

https://feedbackmodules.com/products/mi ... 0086495414

Return to β€œHardware (Instruments and Effects)”