Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6635 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 am

just loaded JD800 you can load bin files, so it should be possible to load custom patches?

playing around with it i had no hardware of it but i really would love to see 2 gui's for these plugins one of the original gui and one with some modern improvements like ADSR for all layers etc.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

KVRAF
6140 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:22 am

Caine123 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 am
just loaded JD800 you can load bin files
I just found it, thanks.

KVRAF
6140 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:27 am

When I was looking for JD-800 bin files online, I found this link to many D-50 bins and sysx files some of you may find useful.

https://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopi ... 2&t=102838

User avatar
KVRAF
1963 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am

How many JD-800 sysex banks are there available online? Just wondering whether it's worth making a SYX to BIN convertor for the JD800, but if there's only a few banks around, it's probably not worth the effort... especially as the expansion PCM cards/banks are not in the plugin (which seems a strange omission...)

KVRist
47 posts since 21 Sep, 2020

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 am

Is it just me or does the new JD-800 plugin still sound different than the hardware JD-800?
Looks like filter resonance peak frequency does not go up to 12 kHz like in hardware. It's limited to 11 kHz like in the Zenology JD-800 model expansion. I don't have the hardware to compare but the difference is easy to hear when comparing Classic Sweeper presets on SynthMania Youtube channel.

KVRer
26 posts since 29 Mar, 2021

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:28 am

Disclaimer: I don't have the hardware JD800 to do a proper comparison, so I'm also checking the patches against the Synthmania demos. On certain evolving sounds, mainly 2-1 Swimotion, I'm getting a very sharp attack on seemingly random notes and a smooth, pad-like behavior on others.

Is this how it's supposed to sound like? I wouldn't think so because this seems to pretty much go away on its own after I play the patch for a while OR if I set the TVA attack values to 98 or 99 instead of 100

On the other hand it also seems to happen in the Zenology patch with the same name...

EDIT: same about 5-1 Slow Bell Pad, which most of the time just isn't...slow at all.

The more I play around with it the more I'm convinced there's something weird about the TVA EG timing: at least for me, the attack time does not seem to work reliably at maximum value.

Regards,

--
Marco
Last edited by vulpes777 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer
25 posts since 3 Aug, 2021

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:36 am

beely,there are many banks online.

KVRist
260 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:23 am

Happy to see this! Roland should include all the ROM expansion cards in the RC JD-800 just like Korg did for its Triton VSTi. IMO, the JD-990 with the built-in Vintage Synth board would be an absolute killer. One advantage of the JD-800 over the 990 is the physical interface, but that advantage becomes a moot point in the software version.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am

beely wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am
How many JD-800 sysex banks are there available online? Just wondering whether it's worth making a SYX to BIN convertor for the JD800, but if there's only a few banks around, it's probably not worth the effort... especially as the expansion PCM cards/banks are not in the plugin (which seems a strange omission...)
I can see a lot of SRX versions of JD-800 in the horizon, to help Roland justify the signature :hihi:

And yes, the synth should have ALL the JD-990 features. But again, I can see a JD-990 in the horizon too. You know, they have to keep the stream flowing...
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:30 am

bluesawsq wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 am
Is it just me or does the new JD-800 plugin still sound different than the hardware JD-800?
Looks like filter resonance peak frequency does not go up to 12 kHz like in hardware. It's limited to 11 kHz like in the Zenology JD-800 model expansion. I don't have the hardware to compare but the difference is easy to hear when comparing Classic Sweeper presets on SynthMania Youtube channel.
May it be they simply picked the code made for Zenology and dressed it with new clothes?
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
124 posts since 6 Mar, 2009

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 pm

beely wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am
How many JD-800 sysex banks are there available online? Just wondering whether it's worth making a SYX to BIN convertor for the JD800, but if there's only a few banks around, it's probably not worth the effort... especially as the expansion PCM cards/banks are not in the plugin (which seems a strange omission...)
There is a link to about 60 banks on this page (right sidebar) : https://www.polynominal.com/site/studio ... index.html

I'd personally appreciate it if someone could convert them.

-e.B
downSouthside music - mixing / mastering / custom sounds / loops
Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Producer

KVRAF
6635 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:51 pm

downSouthside wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 pm
beely wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am
How many JD-800 sysex banks are there available online? Just wondering whether it's worth making a SYX to BIN convertor for the JD800, but if there's only a few banks around, it's probably not worth the effort... especially as the expansion PCM cards/banks are not in the plugin (which seems a strange omission...)
There is a link to about 60 banks on this page (right sidebar) : https://www.polynominal.com/site/studio ... index.html

I'd personally appreciate it if someone could convert them.

-e.B
That would be awesome! I read that the jd990 had no real additions other than it was a module version and had other patches? Is that correct? If so it should be easy ro get these patches :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

User avatar
KVRAF
1963 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm

downSouthside wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 pm
There is a link to about 60 banks on this page (right sidebar) : https://www.polynominal.com/site/studio ... index.html
Thanks. I had a quick look at that collection. It includes banks from the PCM card sets, many patches of which won't work as the plugin does not (yet, at least) have the PCM waves from these banks.

Has anyone found any documentation as to where these banks originally came from? The names give some clues as to the origin of some of them...

I am curious as to why Roland didn't support their PCM card data, as they are normally pretty good about including expansion content (hopefully, they are not going to do a whole "SRX" thing again :dog: ).

Roland never added sysex support to the 5080, so I can't see them doing it for the JD800 either (I think the D50 was a special case, due to the amount of available patches users could take advantage of), but also, nor can I see them significantly upgrading the JD-800 later on to add the PCM card content - if they wanted to do this, I would have thought they would have done it from the beginning...

User avatar
KVRian
540 posts since 9 Apr, 2005 from Japan

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm

bluesawsq wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 am
Is it just me or does the new JD-800 plugin still sound different than the hardware JD-800?
I'm not familiar with the hardware, but as far as I can tell, the new plugin is just the JD-800 model expansion extracted from Zenology and wrapped in a new UI. They sound literally identical to me.
Stormchild

User avatar
KVRAF
1963 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm

Arashi wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm
I'm not familiar with the hardware, but as far as I can tell, the new plugin is just the JD-800 model expansion extracted from Zenology and wrapped in a new UI. They sound literally identical to me.
I've not yet seen anything official from Roland claiming the JD-800 is a DCB plugin.
Also, if true, this might explain the lack of the PCM expansion card data, possibly.

Return to “Instruments”