Korg Opsix 2.0

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone got it and upgraded the OS? And have you found any other juicy nuggets in it?

https://youtu.be/8zlcPUDow3w

This caught my eye and initially it didn't overly wow me, but after the fact I got to thinking how the new Opsix OS has huge potential. Seems like they've introduced an FX operator - so basically you can load an FX and use it as a proper operator - hopefully as modulator too - and that's the bit that sounds really tempting. This demo shows that on the surface they just sound like FX in a different part of the pathway, but when he got to the bit with the comb filter - some very nice rezzy string sounds and then if you add in loads more esoteric FM stuff - mmmmm I like the idea, a lot. I can see some really weird noises coming out of FM'ing some FX - the waveshaper has immediate potential for example, as some of the modes sound very filtery. Make a string with a comb filter then modulate it with a waveshaper operator or even more operators modded by FX - wow!

Here's another one by Luke from Korg (I always like his demos - clear, concise and musical). And Korg's FX are superb nowadays. One of the new patches sounds like an AlphaJuno hoover FFS! That shouldn't be possible with an FM synth. Not that I want to emulate analogue with Opsix (defeats the object), in fact it's the absolute digitalness that attracts me, just that it is bang up to date and fluid digital.

https://youtu.be/HUUGGUTydgA

I was just about to put money down on a Behringer vocoder. But this kinda stopped me in my tracks. Not sure if I want the Opsix first - when they came out I didn't really want a new FM synth but the more I see of the Opsix the higher up my list it goes to the point it might be on top now. I can feel my spend finger twitching to press buy. Even some of the Opsix 1.0 stuff sounds great - I really do like how Korg have implemented FM to make a brand new thing. I could still do classic FM but it also makes some lush and very fluid sounds - lots of motion, lots of mod and then with the sequencer involved in modding the FM - mmmmhmmm - it makes me moist. I think I want it more than a vocoder (and I've wanted one of them forever).

Anyone delved into the Opsix 2.0 and share your thoughts on it? Stop me before I buy it, cos I really want a vocoder... :dog:
Last edited by kritikon on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's another one that showed me how it can be good for ambient stuff, but when it gets tweaked can get that lovely FM digital harshness but not in a grating way - I could use some of those sounds in hard aggressive 4-on-the-floor music. Skip to about 1:29 mins to get some nice live tweaking noodlings - starts all sinewave mellow then gets nicely weird - stunning use of FM IMO (the vid is a bit long). I think this stream was done on the 1.0 version, not even the 2.0. It's the kind of thing you could technically do with Yamaha DXs but they were just too glitchy and mostly you had to do it on the fly with horribly stepped movements.

https://youtu.be/BhKyO6YkUrE

opsix is my favorite synth bar none

What strikes me about it is how easy it looks to program too. It's a beautiful layout and architecture. I still find their Wavestate a bit tedious to program despite being an old hand with the Wavestation. But every time I see an Opsix being patched I think "yeah that's obvious". Korg are positively shining at the moment.

kritikon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 pm Anyone got it and upgraded the OS? And have you found any other juicy nuggets in it?

https://youtu.be/8zlcPUDow3w
I upgraded to OS2.0. The effect mode is amazing. Basically an operator (or a chain of them) can have a dedicated effect. More importantly, in some of the effects, one key parameter is tied to the frequency of the operator. So with the Phaser for example, the phase moves with the notes you play. You can have algorithms where one or two operators are mixed with the effect, some other operators are doing Filter FM, and some others are doing something else. It's insane.

Even without OS2.0, I'm loving the Filter FM in particular. It's just a new kind of a sound for a digital synth I reckon.

kritikon wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:39 pm What strikes me about it is how easy it looks to program too. It's a beautiful layout and architecture. I still find their Wavestate a bit tedious to program despite being an old hand with the Wavestation. But every time I see an Opsix being patched I think "yeah that's obvious". Korg are positively shining at the moment.
That's a good point. Even if I'm not sure how a particular patch is constructed, I can still just fling some of the knobs and faders around and come up with usable sounds.

There are some menus, but they're really shallow. Most of the stuff you want is never more than 2 button presses away, and it's laid out in way that's pretty straightforward.

Only downside for me is the sequencer being 16 steps. It's OK for a bit of motion sequencing, but even for that, 16 steps isn't resolute enough for really fine control.

Yeah guys, started a post relating to choosing between the Wavestate and Modwave, but now that I have delved a lot more deeply into the Opsix, am getting more tempted to go with it than either of the other two, especially as I've got my eye on the Hydrasynth Deluxe too and this is greater contrasting in sound from it than those two.

Update: got it today, so far no manual, will print out sections I might need for understanding and navigating, but already was able to get into and around many sections already. Looks like this synth will be a lot of fun having been on the VST mainline for years now.

rockmachine wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:29 pm Update: got it today, so far no manual, will print out sections I might need for understanding and navigating, but already was able to get into and around many sections already. Looks like this synth will be a lot of fun having been on the VST mainline for years now.
I'm envious - I'll be buying one very soon. As far as manuals go...you should be able to get a proper manual online at Korg.com. I have one saved on my laptop for the Wavestate, and I don't remember getting one with the keyboard, so I must have d/l'ed it from Korg. They provide those short guide paper manuals with the synth, but they also do proper full manuals (which is a must for Wavestate, probably less so for the Opsix). Wherever it is at Korg.com when you log in - the manuals are where you can also get new OS downloads etc too.

I think you'll have huge fun with that thing. TBH programming plugins is a complete downer to me. I can't think of anything worse than sitting at a screen fiddling away with a mouse or a pad, and my poorly wrist doesn't thank me for it either. Opsix looks like it has enough knobs and dials to make it a breeze, and invite some tweaking.

Me again :D ! Yes, the sliders and rotaries make for quick accessibility and they have an eidtor for it apparently, which I won't bother with. Minimal in terms of manuals, worth printing some, if not all, the online PDF manual. Good luck whenever you take the plunge.

Anyone else having issues where the synth will freeze/crash?

Is that new with 2.0?

I have the same issue, it freezes up if you use the Shimmer Reverb on your patch.
Only way to sort it is to unplug the power and start up again, but the patch remains corrupt.
Apparently there is a OpSix Firmware 2.0.1 that fixes this, but I have no idea where to get it.
I have contacted Korg South Africa and Korg USA and so fare no luck.

Robain, I just did a Google search and I don;t know where you got that information, but the only update I can see is the 2.0.0 released in October. Even the Japanese Korg site lists only the 2.0 that I can see.

graverubber wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 pm Anyone else having issues where the synth will freeze/crash?
Yes, I updated to V2.0.0 and my opsix and now it randomly crashes when I am programming some patches. It is something reported by several V2.0 users. Even there are compete commercial patch libraries that are crashing the synth. Korg will provide a fix, hopefully.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”