RAPID Synthesizer | 1.8.5 | Black Friday Sale 2021 started

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
98 posts since 30 Apr, 2020 from the underground

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:33 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:26 am
So to be clear this is not about the plugin needing to be reauthorized but the extensions not showing or functioning ?

I only have the factory content so maybe that's a clue as well.
No, you activate deactivated plugin by activating factory content - it's the main plugin license. That FAQ is exactly about what happens when Rapid deactivates itself: there is no sound, library is empty (e.g. wavetables or multi-samples for an oscilator), presets list is working fine.

KVRAF
16432 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:43 am

Ahh I see well I don't know what to tell you. It's never happened here on two systems but again maybe I've just been lucky.

So they have never explained why Rapid all of a sudden deactivates itself apparently at random for no reason?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 am

So wait a minute that means Rapid is not really a serial number protection scheme if it can deactivate itself. There are no activations listed in my account only a serial number.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
3190 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 am
So wait a minute that means Rapid is not really a serial number protection scheme if it can deactivate itself. There are no activations listed in my account only a serial number.
It was never a pure serial number... to my understanding it was C/R all the time...
Follow me on YouTube: M.o.R FL Studio Tricks
Become a patron: M.o.R FL Studio Tricks

KVRAF

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:10 am

Yes you're right. It's been so long since I installed Rapid I forget that it does do C/R on activation.

But that still doesn't explain the deactivation issue. C/R on first activation is one thing but periodic activation checks are another :?
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:11 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 am
You can use Rapid on all your personally owned devices, the FAQ says. Account itself doesn't retain information about those devices, therefore only serial is shown. Maybe there is an additional license protection which deactivates Rapid whenever specific event occurs (e.g. specific period of no usage).
I must admit that I've updated/downgraded few BIOSes on that second machine and I've disabled one of LAN cards - I'm struggling with computer sleep issues (seems lost case). This may be that specific event triggering deactivation. I don't know if there is any online processes checking that activation is active, for me it looks like plugin has this built in. After some tracing I haven't found any network activity after during loading of (deactivated) Rapid, it may do some checks in different moments, I don't know - no time to verify that, vendor should already know that better :)

KVRAF

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:16 am

So it may be machine locked in some way and changes to the system could cause a deactivation ?

I'm just trying to help solve the issue for people who are experiencing deactivations since it may well happen to me one day even though it has yet to do so.

KVRist

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 am

Yes, it may be the case here. Rapid deactivated on my both machines, I wasn't using it for some time on them. I reinstalled it on the PC at 4'th of October. I believe BIOS was updated once (along with LAN disabling) on the PC since then.
So there are two factors at my side: long period of inactivity and system configuration changes (different BIOS and LAN card disabling).

KVRAF

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:51 am

Ok great those are clues so hopefully others who have experienced reauthorize issues can add something. I don't normally do a lot of changes especially on my studio computer so that could explain why I have been spared to this point.

KVRian
1268 posts since 16 Jan, 2004

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am

For me, the deactivation that occurred on both of my machines, there were no hardware changes, as these are both laptops (and I didn't make any hardware changes). The newer one I believe has seen one or two firmware updates, and it's likely the older laptop did too. And for the newer machine, a period of inactivity is also possible. Interestingly, on that newer machine, I saw that my license of Melodyne seemed to deactivate itself too (just recently, where as the Rapid deactivation occurred quite some time ago).

In any case, it's still disconcerting. As mentioned by others here, and I can confirm as well, the process to reactivate is easy enough. But I still strongly dislike that this is happening. As time goes on, and we see obsolescence of operating systems, hardware, VST standards, and so on, workstation maintenance and future compatibility has become more and more of a thing to deal with.

I'm in the process of setting up a new machine, and frankly, it's nice to not have to install hundreds of plugins. Over the past few years I have sold or abandoned (for some NFR licenses) a number of plugins, favoring license file / serial number style copy protection, with a few 'important' plugins surviving that culling - some Native Instruments stuff, as well as Synapse Audio stuff (and my DAW: Live, plus Melodyne, are both C/R). The rest is gone. And admittedly, I make a bigger deal about this type of thing than the average person (at least, I think I do), but still, it's important to me. It does have the added bonus of reducing my toolset, as well as my GAS, as I now tend to concentrate on what I have versus what I crave. And the first thing I look at when considering anything new is the copy protection. Serial/license file is my first choice. Challenge/Response, only if it's something really special. Everything else becomes a hard pass.

Ultimately, when I create music, I choose not to use plugins that potentially have licensing stipulations/issues. I don't do music professionally, but I've said this before: I wouldn't leave mission-critical projects to plugins with these types of issues.

KVRian
893 posts since 23 May, 2016

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:00 pm

I had a deactivation about one year ago, but happened only on one of my computers.

KVRian
884 posts since 27 Oct, 2004 from Inside the kick drum

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:37 pm

I also had deactivation. I was wondering long time why this shieet doesn't play any sound, lol. Also the GUI has problems. I hope they fix their bugs.

KVRist
324 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 pm

this synth sound good with low cpu but at 96 khz it s even better , the top get more pristine and lush, really i m not sure i will go back to 44.1 as most of my synth upsample on higher quality setting , cpu load won t change that much in a project, but rapid at 96 khz sound damn good

KVRist
221 posts since 12 Mar, 2016

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm

kobal wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 pm
this synth sound good with low cpu but at 96 khz it s even better , the top get more pristine and lush, really i m not sure i will go back to 44.1 as most of my synth upsample on higher quality setting , cpu load won t change that much in a project, but rapid at 96 khz sound damn good
Last time I checked, this synth didn't produce 96kHz output. It was still brickwall filtered at 44.1kHz no matter what samplerate. And I remember the dev saying this was for performance and more than 44.1khz doesn't make sense anyways. So you better check twice :wink:

KVRAF
2428 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Interestingly, I've had a long period of time which is probably over 28 days when I've not created any music and really not used Rapid at all. So it would seem that this Challenge / Response system they have is their way to screw with their users. I really don't get why it would matter to a developer whether I've used a plugin that I've bought hasn't been used.

This is just sneaky... It's like here's a solution but we won't tell you why, or how long a period of inactivity it will take before the plugin deactivates itself.

From Parawave site.
I started Rapid like normally, but this time there's no sound!

Try clicking on the content button in the top row to open the Extension Manager. Are the Factory Sounds still shown as installed and activated (two green check marks)?
If not you may want to install or activate them again. Click on activate extensions in the bottom right and perform a new activation.

Please note: Importing older license.txt will not work. You have to request a new one.
From the manual:
OTE: When using a newly purchased Rapid Extension, or sometimes a newly installed Rapid
Update, your product will need to be reactived through the same process
Now I'd understand that updates may require re-activation or when purchasing extensions may require activation but here's a question. If you do purchase an extension other than only having the Factory Soundbank, does that prevent the plugin being deactivated entirely or do extensions randomly stop working after a period of inactivity ?

Does the Factory Soundbank affect everything globally if the plugin isn't used for over a month or whatever long period it is that it's not being used ?
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

Return to “Instruments”