rob papen - predator 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

attention ♥ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 pm Rob Papen synths have some slow refreshing graphical elements by design. It saves CPU but other than that I don't like it.
If that were true then it's a recent development decision.
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:48 pm They gave me the older versions and the GUI lag went away.
I have not noticed it on any of the other RP plugins I have owned some for years. I have noticed it with the Predator 3 demo.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

i wish me a 150 % scaleable interface.
i wish me faster graphical responses. it's laggy like hell.

alexander

Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:54 pm
attention ♥ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 pm Rob Papen synths have some slow refreshing graphical elements by design. It saves CPU but other than that I don't like it.
If that were true then it's a recent development decision.
Take the analyzers in Raw Kick for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hduyLU96g-I&t=16m46s

Like I said I have not experienced Lag until P3 but I don't own Raw Kick.
And again...
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:48 pm They gave me the older versions and the GUI lag went away.
I don't know how far the older versions he refers to go back.

Anyway from Rob Papen social media on the subject of Lag:

"We have no other complains about this". So it would probably be a good idea for people to contact RP support.

Also from FB:

"About the screens. 133% is for the wide screens. Like 3340x1440 screens and 200% for 4K screens. We look next week for having something in between 100% and 133% that still fits well on Full HD. For our feeling the 100% version is very suitable for Full HD screens".
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Personally, I don't have any lags! Or I don't notice any lags! Maybe it is the demo and it needs to be updated, but in the full version I don't have problems with lag.

Now, I don't use the "analyser screen" or the "fun display", I usually switch it to either the Mod or ARP. Second I don't use tooltips as I agree they are buggy! Anyway, there is no benefit of them! The info is already written in the main screen (not the fun display).

I even enabled the Animation, and they work fine :) Maybe there are some minor bugs here and there, but I'm sure it will be ironed out as this is my experience with Rob Papen.

Although I don't need another graphic resolution, but I agree that more percentages are needed because people use different setups.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:56 am This is something I have had issues with a lot of Rob Papens synths , I've had to revert to older versions to get around it (as suggested by Jon in Support) they weren't sure why it was happening, but seems to be more common than I thought.
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:48 pm They gave me the older versions and the GUI lag went away. Things like turning the dials was laggy as fk. Opening and closing the GUI was laggy.
kmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:32 am Is it just me or at 100% it's too small and at 133% it goes above my HD screen (1920x1080). What the heck?
Moreover I just started with first preset and GUI is somehow laggy. I mean it works but I can see it with my own eyes everything somehow lags. No I have 16 core CPU and modern GPU.
And that waveform screen is like 2 frames per second. Seriously?
achtnullacht wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:33 pm i wish me faster graphical responses. it's laggy like hell.
alexander
In case Rob looks at this thread.

If those having Lag issues could post what version they're using VST2, 3, AAX, what OS etc it would help out.

I'm on Win 10 here and my test system has onboard Intel graphics and I only use the VST 2 version. I don't install Demos on my studio computer and am only running the Predator 3 demo on this system.

Is the explorer upgrade somewhere cheaper available than the official store?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

My issue was addressed by their support , it's not recent but it was GUI lag in some of the plugins , they gave me the release prior to the one giving me issues and the problem went away.

I have since updated explorer and the problem hasn't come back , but might have raised its head again if you are getting the same issues. They'll be able to check it
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Btw... I had written to Rob a few days ago about the GUI sizes and also showed him an example of a typical 1920x1080 screen. As I just saw in the newsletter, there will be an update in the GUI sizes. Probably a bigger version for Full-HD (the current 100% version) 8)

I tried this synth more today. Contrary to the issues I reported with sizes and superslow interface and initial disappointment - when it comes to sound this instrument didn't disappoint me.

It does have nice filters and sound is well...it's distinctive in a good way. I like it. And most of the preset are cool for showcase. Many of them are a bit cheesy for my taste and drowned in FX but anyway it's a good product with cool preset banks. It just need graphical polishing.

Really there's no reason to save CPU cycles by making this GUI behave like semi dead zombi cow. When looked at this issue from the perspective of saving CPU cycles - competing products seems like a developed magic or wizardry.

Cool product anyway. Regards.

In the video Rob acknowledges the GUI size and lag issue. He said there will be an update next week but I'm not sure what will be included except some new patches.

Just the 125% size option will be enough to make me upgrade. The lag will be far less of an issue on my studio computer if at all.

I didn't see the livestream, but good that an update is already planned for next week.
Did he say that a 125% size option is planned? That would perhaps already be the right solution.

You can see visually in the video above how sticky the knobs are as he turns them as he plays the synth. That's the problem, the GUI becomes sluggish to try and tweak things during the adjusting of things in real-time. It's something I don't encounter on other VST synths I use like Dune or Hive. So when he says in the video that some people have reported it being sluggish, it's in that instance where it is and it's weird that he doesn't notice it.

Even micro adjusting knobs with the mouse and shift key held is a rather laborious exercise.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

4damind wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 pm I didn't see the livestream, but good that an update is already planned for next week.
Did he say that a 125% size option is planned? That would perhaps already be the right solution.
He said "some people like the 100% to be a bit bigger so we're looking into that". It's starting at the17:38 mark of the video.

I have to think he'll go with 125% since other plugins like Quad already have that size and it's perfect for 1920x1080.

Return to “Instruments”