Updating from Catalina to Big Sur?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur. The only plug-in I lost was the old NI B4. No biggie. There were some hassles initially as when I went through all the plug-ins. Maybe a dozen required visiting system preferences/security to allow them to run. After that, they all run without hassle. At least under Live and Logic.

I didn't lose much of anything else other than uTorrent which apparently remains 32-bit only. I like the look and spacing better than the old macOS. It's surprising how a few tweaks make Big Sur look a lot more contemporary.

Anyone try Monterey yet?

there're people posting in Computer Configuration who have. I'd need a reason. Already the OS is bugging me about the update.

the torrents host Folx works.

There were literally zero bumps in the road here from Catalina, the only things that don't work are because Cubase won't have 'em. Things that open and work in VE Pro under the two OSes.

Did (both of) you do a clean install, migration assistant, or just let it install as an OS upgrade over what you had?

macmuse wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 pm Did (both of) you do a clean install, migration assistant, or just let it install as an OS upgrade over what you had?
when i went from mojave to big sur i let install as an upgrade over what existed.

I installed Monterey. Not much different for me. Nothing new that I'll use and that was my impression from the announcement. For a full revision, it seems pretty tame.

I installed Big Sur over Catalina from a disk image I downloaded from App Store.

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:52 pm Anyone try Monterey yet?
Yes - and really no issues, aside from 37 (out of 1,612) plugins not validating in Logic Pro 10.7 (from seven different developers). Sent each developer a message with a crash log - as always, they will get fixed at some point. Beyond this, stable and an easy, quick upgrade from Big Sur. Going from Catalina to Big Sur seemed like a bigger change with more issues. From Big Sur to Monterey, not really any issues aside from the few plugins.

I still want to have a Mojave external disk clone (with the data where I had left off before upgrading), but a possible issue may be because all my data resides on external disks, I would need to share it with Big Sur too without it locking me out of Mojave access. I’ve heard that big Sur changes some things with firmware and HD/SSD’s, plus how Apple is not so backward compatible one that data gets upgraded, so I don’t want that to affect being able to go back and forth between OS’s where I have to share that app data, samples, databases, etc. I may have to keep two copies. If any of you by chance kept a clone of your Mojave drive, have you booted back to Mojave after having upgraded, without issues? Thanks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”