Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:51 pm That would be awesome! I read that the jd990 had no real additions other than it was a module version and had other patches? Is that correct? If so it should be easy ro get these patches :)
The JD-990 added many new features that aren't in the JD-800.
Stormchild

Maybe brian from Roland can tell more? I dont think he will, i mean we got a half baked subscription model, we waited so long for a jd990 and now they release this? Cant you just release a jd990 with sysex import and all the expansions? 150 bucks isnt cheap either. Im really pissed and i hate it when companies just dont give a ÷÷÷× but we customers are responsible cause it seems we still feed this behaviour with the money and are just THANKFUL they give us a part of their products and get feeded and praise them.... yeah sounds harsh? Nah im too long in a business where you see the behaviours of companies and it never changes until u dictate with your money, ok im tired good night. Thx for making the long wait not worth it should have seen it after the d50, the xstuff and so on. Roland cloud. Lol
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Roland will release the software versions of PCM cards, each for $19.99.

Roland will eventually release the software version of the 990 for $149, with the vintage synth add-on for $69.

Looks like the JD-800 plugin is still missing a big part of the original, which is the whole drum/percussion section (just listen to I Can't Dance by Genesis for a good demo of the preset sounds). The plugin seems to skip the whole multi mode, which is OK and not really needed in a plugin environment, but I'd still like to have the drums... I can't be the only one who fondly remembers / used the percussion on the hardware JD-800? I bet someone has sampled the preset drums, but the whole point was that each key was editable and used the same waveforms as the non-percussion sounds, and I'd really love to have that again.

And about the sound: Quickly compared a few patches (namely the legendary Classic Sweeper + a few others) between the JD-800 plugin and the Zenology model, and they sound 100% the same to me. Even the strange slightly changed patch names are still there in the JD-800 plugin (Hearts of Space -> Slow Bell Pad, etc). :)

Captain wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:05 am And about the sound: Quickly compared a few patches (namely the legendary Classic Sweeper + a few others) between the JD-800 plugin and the Zenology model, and they sound 100% the same to me. Even the strange slightly changed patch names are still there in the JD-800 plugin (Hearts of Space -> Slow Bell Pad, etc). :)
I understand why Crystal Rhodes became Crystal EPs (they no longer own the Rhodes name), but yeah, some of the other name changes are a bit puzzling. There was a Hearts of Space album on (the great ambient label) Fax, but it's not like they trademarked the name (and sadly both of the composers have left this world). I'm sure it was a JD-800 reference; you can hear the classic Massive Pad preset on this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPlApsSvUec
Stormchild

Some more JD-800 love.

The "Crystal Rhodes" preset (now Crystal EPs) was clearly used (in lo-fi sampled form) on this classic Mario 64 track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRfHbyCQDCo

And here's Massive Pad again (the whole track is built around it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NefWBMYz8sI
Stormchild

bluesawsq wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:15 pm Is it just me or does the new JD-800 plugin still sound different than the hardware JD-800?
Looks like filter resonance peak frequency does not go up to 12 kHz like in hardware.
Yep, as far as I can tell, this is still the case with the JD-800 plugin, just like in Zenology. Looks like they sound identical, and both different from the hardware.
vulpes777 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:28 pm EDIT: same about 5-1 Slow Bell Pad, which most of the time just isn't...slow at all.

The more I play around with it the more I'm convinced there's something weird about the TVA EG timing: at least for me, the attack time does not seem to work reliably at maximum value.
I think I have noticed something similar with the patch, but sadly I don't have a hardware JD-800 with me (any more), so can't say if this was how the hw behaved too... but will do some further tests with the software!

Arashi wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am There was a Hearts of Space album on (the great ambient label) Fax, but it's not like they trademarked the name (and sadly both of the composers have left this world). I'm sure it was a JD-800 reference; you can hear the classic Massive Pad preset on this track:
Haha yeah, I also released an ambient track called Hearts of Space on vinyl years ago, and the name was a direct reference to the JD-800 patch. I managed to borrow a JD-800 for a while in the early 90's (I later bought my own), and I was so blown away by the sounds that I just quickly threw together some of the more ambient-sounding patches, and called the mess "Hearts of Space". :D

Re: Hearts of Space, IIRC there was a record label with the same name and it's technically still active, although I don't think they have published anything in recent times. I would assume the name is trademarked, but even if it isn't, I think it all boils down to "better safe than sorry" .

Same about what happened to Chinksomething Bass, which i HIGHLY doubt was originally named that way with racist intents.

Regards,

--
Marco

Arashi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:30 pm
Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:51 pm That would be awesome! I read that the jd990 had no real additions other than it was a module version and had other patches? Is that correct? If so it should be easy ro get these patches :)
The JD-990 added many new features that aren't in the JD-800.
Jd990 vst will be a separate purchase. Roland style 8)

This for me is honestly everything I've wanted from Roland Cloud. While I'll definitely perk up if I see the V-Synth on the horizon and having Variphrase in the box, the JD800 was the big thing I've wanted for years. In tandem with the JV1080 and all the cards now being available (well, except for Dynamic Drums but that's neither here nor there), I'm honestly satisfied and aren't really all that interested in what else might be released.

Roland JD800 VS JD990 Comparison chart by Polynominal

- JD990 lacks hold pedal and expression pedals.
- Jd990 lacks real-time controls
- JD800 features 4mb Vs 6mb Jd990
- JD800 is a limited performance structure
- JD800 features less analog outs
- JD800 lacks panning position
- JD800 lacks matrix modulation
- JD800 lacks polyphonic portamento
- JD800 lacks Sr-Jv slot expansion
- JD800 misses 3 LFO shapes
- JD800 lacks waveform sync
- JD800 lacks frequency cross modulation FXM
- JD800 lacks ringmodulator
- JD800 lacks algorithmic structures
- JD800 cannot read more than 1mb PCM
- JD800 delay is limited to 600ms (vs 3000)
- JD800 delay cannot be synched to Midi

I’m looking forward to an 8000/8080, A JX10 and maybe something more retro like a Jupiter 4, but there’s loads of cool old drum machines they could emulate like TR-68/78 and the old Rhythm Ace units.

I’m still somewhat mystified by the lack of reverbs in Zenology and its FX.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:04 pm I’m still somewhat mystified by the lack of reverbs in Zenology and its FX.
I'm sure after the JD800 release, a bunch of people have been doing AB comparisons between the "new" :party: standalone plugin and what we got before as a Zenology expansion - Which should normally raise the question: "How can those lush, evolving pads even sound good in Zenology without a reverb?"

And the answer is...the patches in the JD800 expansion can indeed include a reverb as part of the second MFX (bottom right in the edit window).

Not the patches from the factory library, though, or any of the other expansions from what I can tell; at best they can include the JD Multi effects rack...but it turns out that's an entirely different set of effects...

tl;dr someone took the time to port ten fairly usable reverb types to Zenology and it pretty much died there with the JD800 expansion.

Can I say I'm genuinely baffled at some of Roland's decisions?

Regards,

--
Marco
Last edited by vulpes777 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”