monitors - Adam A5X seem boomy - should I try Genelec or KH120

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRAF
9177 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 am

ATN69 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 pm
I am careful to recommend anything really since most things are subjective anyway. I do however want to suggest Sonarworks reference software with calibration microphone. I have the Adam A7 and had them for a very long time. I invested in the Sonarworks Reference 4 with the calibration microphone and it helped me a lot. I had some nasty resonance issues in my room but after calibration it was much better. It is in no way perfect but well worth it in my own case.
Personally I recommend either Room EQ Wizard (freeware) or MathAudio Room EQ (affordable and much better sounding results than most). You'll still need a measurement microphone with a calibration file, which you could indeed buy from Sonarworks. :lol:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

KVRian
1003 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:40 am

You don’t need new speakers. The Adams are a very good make. As others suggest, room treatment (and placement) is key and I would suggest something like Sonarworks as well. Made a huge difference in my modest small studio.
Good luck 👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

KVRist
128 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:44 am

100% your room is the issue, not those monitors.

KVRist
280 posts since 30 Aug, 2002

Post Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:46 am

If your room isn't treated use headphones.
I5-8600K, 16 GB, Presonus Audiobox USB 96, Fl Studio, Reason 11, Studio One 5 Artist.

KVRian
1341 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:40 pm

I have the A5X, and I find I have the opposite issue. Super clear and transparent, but the bass is weak. I make (bad) techno, so being able to monitor the low end is important. I'll do all my sound design and arrangement and basic mixing with my monitors, then have to use my DT-1990s to work on the low end. Super important is the use of reference tracks to get the relative levels correct. You might not be able to get a perfectly level room, but if you learn the room's response, you can compensate.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”