RME Multiface seems broken. Advices?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys:

I've been using a system based on a RME HDSP PCI + Multiface. My Multiface seems broken. I have the following alternatives:

1. Try to repair it.
2. Buy a new Multiface II
3. Buy a new Fireface UCX.

Alternative one, I'm still not sure it could be done, and what would be the cost. A (presumably new) Multiface II would cost me 345,00 euros, while I could get the UCX for 770,00 euros. Which one would you choose?
Fernando (FMR)

I have a multiface 1 and had some issues a number of years back - I contacted RME about what to do and they offered a repair service. You can't get a multiface 2 new anymore so the cheap relaible, option is to get it repaired. However second hand multiface 2's are cheap and I suspect will last well too. The only reason I would get the fireface was if I needed a new PC as PCI ports are getting hard to come by on new computers.

Also what is the problem? - it was my PCI card that was broken meaning that the card's green lights didn't stop flashing. The PCI cards can't be bought new but I got one cheap of ebay and have had no issues since. I have heard of cables going bad and power supplies going off too. So it might be worth investigating.
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:00 am I have a multiface 1 and had some issues a number of years back - I contacted RME about what to do and they offered a repair service. You can't get a multiface 2 new anymore so the cheap relaible, option is to get it repaired. However second hand multiface 2's are cheap and I suspect will last well too. The only reason I would get the fireface was if I needed a new PC as PCI ports are getting hard to come by on new computers.

Also what is the problem? - it was my PCI card that was broken meaning that the card's green lights didn't stop flashing. The PCI cards can't be bought new but I got one cheap of ebay and have had no issues since. I have heard of cables going bad and power supplies going off too. So it might be worth investigating.
No problem with the PCI, and I assembled a new PC just a few months ago, with a MoBo that has PCI, exactly because of the HDSP + Multiface. I too see no reason to change.

I may try to get the Multiface repaired. I'm waiting for authorization from RME ot send it to them. But I am seriously considering buying a used Multiface II.

EDIT: OK, just bought a new Multiface II.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:14 am
ericj23 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:00 am I have a multiface 1 and had some issues a number of years back - I contacted RME about what to do and they offered a repair service. You can't get a multiface 2 new anymore so the cheap relaible, option is to get it repaired. However second hand multiface 2's are cheap and I suspect will last well too. The only reason I would get the fireface was if I needed a new PC as PCI ports are getting hard to come by on new computers.

No problem with the PCI, and I assembled a new PC just a few months ago, with a MoBo that has PCI, exactly because of the HDSP + Multiface. I too see no reason to change.

I may try to get the Multiface repaired. I'm waiting for authorization from RME ot send it to them. But I am seriously considering buying a used Multiface II.

Where did you get a new multiface from? Or do you mean new to you?
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:55 pm

On eBay. It's an individual, but it was advertised as new. I messaged him, and he confirmed it's new. :shrug: It's a complete system, with the PCIe card too. :)

And it will be new to me too, of course :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:05 pm

On eBay. It's an individual, but it was advertised as new. I messaged him, and he confirmed it's new. :shrug: It's a complete system, with the PCIe card too. :)

Ah Funk, I would have bought that - don't suppose he has another!

ericj23 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:19 pm
fmr wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Ah Funk, I would have bought that - don't suppose he has another!
I don't think so, no, but I will ask him, after receiving my Hammerfall + Multiface II. It will arrive next week :-)
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”