Valhalla users - which do you use more Vintage or Room?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going to get a couple of the Valhalla plugins - definitely the delay, and one of the verbs. I know they're not expensive but I simply don't want a huge collection of plugins - been there done that in the past so I want to keep a new setup simple - I'd rather collect shitloads of h/w synths than plugins, and anyway I learnt that most of the common DAW FX are fine for most jobs - shit, even Cubase has a decent IR verb nowadays. Generally I'm happy with my own set of IRs plus the Cubase ones, but it would be nice to have a decent plugin verb too (the algorithmic Cubase one is...basic and that's being polite). And the delays in Cubase are too basic also. I like what Valhalla offer in delays and I don't particularly want mega numbers of taps (I think you can get 16 taps in the latest Valhalla delay anyway?)

So - Room verb or Vintage verb?

I guess I'm mainly going to be doing reverb on drums, so the Room makes sense, but I would also use on synths - tending to be bigger verbs, and I do particularly like huge space type of reverbs for the slower stuff and the Valhalla freebie did impress me.
I'm guessing the Vintage verb is a bit more like having a PCM kinda box - i.e. covers all bases with halls, chambers, plates etc but likely not as specific or focused as the Room? (looks like lots of variation even in their Room verb though - I was impressed with how many algos they offer)

I'm not going to buy lots of them despite the good price, just getting one verb, one delay. If you use them and you had to have one as a main reverb tool, what do you find yourself using more - the Vintage or the Room? And I guess - if it's answerable does one of them have more immediate character? My first impression seems to be veering towards the Vintage as it just covers more bases - I suspect even with Valhalla, I'll still be using some Bricasti and Plate IRs for my main drum use, so I might not use the rooms as much as I think I might, in fact I know I won't because I really do like some of the IRs I have. Trusted and just work.

So - Room or Vintage?

EDIT - I make mostly old-style 4 on the floor either techno-ey or straight acidy stuff, but do veer off regularly into deepish dub and some ambient noodlings. It's the latter 2 styles that make me think Vintage is more suited...TBH I'm actually more likely to use their delays on diffuse and the Supermassive freebie for real dubby & big washy shit.

I use Room more than Vintage because I don't have a license for Vintage :wink:
No auto tune...

I’d wait for a sale on R4, instead, for less. Otherwise, between those, Vintage Verb. It has a lot of flexibility at this point after several revisions.

Their Delay is, to me, the best general delay on the market, worth way more than $50.

I play guitar, and I use Room every time I play through the computer. The early reflection algorithms are beautiful, and I generally use it to put the guitar in a natural-sounding room. It can also do the really big, spacious, long-tail things well, but it sounds more like real (albeit sometimes highly exaggerated) acoustic spaces.

I have Vintage too, and it's great for more overtly electronic reverbs.

Honestly, I would demo them both and see which one grabs you more!

As said here demo the valhalla plug ins.

VVV has more options but the rooms on it are not as fully featured. To me Room seems to have a bit more clarity and realism, matbe a bit brighter/harder sounding in some settings, good for snare.

I have both and use Vintage far more than Room, but they’re both great!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I bought them both, sold Room later. Not, because it sounds worse, but I was using VVV more often (95:5).
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

I have both and use VVV more. Not knocking Room, I do like it and it can do long dreamy things as well. But VVV is more all-round and is quick to whip up a rich, dense verb of whatever length is needed.

Would suggest demoing both if you can.

For me it depends more on what you actually need...

If you are looking more for realistic spaces: Room (but more CPU intense)
If you are looking for dreamy, dense long reverb tails, even if not that much realistic: VVV

i, for one, being working mainly with western african artist, i ve been more and more focused on tempo based gate reverb or reverse gate, so Ubermod has commonly become one of my workhorse on that respect rather than the two mentioned reverb unit

Tempo-based pre-delay or RT60 reverb tail would be IMO a nice addition to these reverbs

its really both for me. i tend to use room for synthesizers and "techy" elements, while i slap vintage verb on real instruments like guitar, piano and vocals..no hard rules tho, i love both

My music is mainly synth based with electronic drums and/or breakbeats, I find VVV to be much more interesting than Room. For the styles you mentioned (techno/acid/dub/ambient) I’d definitely go with VVV. Demo both and see what you like…

I use Plate more than both of them combined :D

But Room slightly more than VVV, for more subtle and less "synthy" reverbs.

I really like all plugs from Valhalla. Sean is a great creator. Room is the one I use the most because it is so quick to dial in. Vintage is great and it has a lot to offer in terms of sounds and settings.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I like Room and use it a lot in electronic music. It seems to glue nicely to the source sound and is cleanish but not sterile. For gooey, swirly FX reverbs I have other choices :)

Return to “Effects”