When did you get AAX/RTAS SDK?

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
KVRist

Topic Starter

474 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:22 am

stratum wrote:A sign tool is a computer program and may be free. A digital signature/certificate is a cryptographic key or key pair and isn't free unless you create it yourself. You can create your own signatures for testing but they cannot be verified by a 3rd party, and protools may not recognize them.
Oh!

I got AAX SDK.So now i can build my AAX plugins but for only Pro Tools Developer version.

By the way i'm waiting for PACE Sign Tool.

And now i have to get certificate from Apple? :o
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

KVRAF
2265 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:35 am

And now i have to get certificate from Apple? :o
From Avid I guess, $500/year??
~stratum~

KVRist

Topic Starter

474 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 am

stratum wrote:
And now i have to get certificate from Apple? :o
From Avid I guess, $500/year??
Hmm...

Really i'm not clear...Someone says $99 and you say $500.But other developer said that AVID will cover this for developers.

I sent email to AVID.Asked for the way of releasing AAX plugins.

For now i know that i need AAX SDK and PACE Sign Tool.AAX SDK it okay,i got it.Sent email to PACE for sign tool.

Now trying to understand certificate thing...
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

KVRist

Topic Starter

474 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:29 am

Got answer from AVID.I have to get certificate from AVID for $180.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

KVRAF
2265 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:42 am

Really i'm not clear...Someone says $99 and you say $500.But other developer said that AVID will cover this for developers.
Got answer from AVID.I have to get certificate from AVID for $180.
$500/year is from an old message in a forum that is found by google when you search.
Anyone who reads it does not even send an email to Avid I guess:)
As for me, I do not develop any commercial vst/aax plugins. $99 is what Apple currently charges for their certificate according to a message above by Guillaume Piolat.
~stratum~

User avatar
KVRAF
3426 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Pacific NW

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:53 pm

stratum wrote:
Really i'm not clear...Someone says $99 and you say $500.But other developer said that AVID will cover this for developers.
Got answer from AVID.I have to get certificate from AVID for $180.
$500/year is from an old message in a forum that is found by google when you search.
Anyone who reads it does not even send an email to Avid I guess:)
As for me, I do not develop any commercial vst/aax plugins. $99 is what Apple currently charges for their certificate according to a message above by Guillaume Piolat.
Yes, the Apple certificate works for signing AAX. You can use the same Apple certificate for signing on both OSX and Windows.

User avatar
KVRist
236 posts since 21 Sep, 2015 from Grenoble

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 pm

To clarify, I didn't thought it possible to sign AAX with another company certificate (I was saying "each bigname company requires their own :sad:"), but that last message would suggest otherwise.
VST/AU/AAX/LV2: Renegate | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

KVRist

Topic Starter

474 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 am

By the way i'm still waiting answer from PACE to get sign tool.

When will they reply?

And how this will go?Will they create account for me or just give tool?
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

KVRist
50 posts since 3 Nov, 2015 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 am

Dude, just relax, wait & see :lol: You ask the same questions over and over again although they already have been answered. Carefully read the replies. Patience is a virtue.

They will first check your AAX approval with Avid and send you an software licence agreement which you have to sign and send back. Then an account to the customer central will be created and linked to your iLok ID. There you can download the tools and create code signing configurations. That's it.

When? Probably when they found the time to do so. But it didn't take more than 2 days with my account back then.

KVRist

Topic Starter

474 posts since 26 Mar, 2015

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:07 am

Squidsneeze wrote:Dude, just relax, wait & see :lol: You ask the same questions over and over again although they already have been answered. Carefully read the replies. Patience is a virtue.

They will first check your AAX approval with Avid and send you an software licence agreement which you have to sign and send back. Then an account to the customer central will be created and linked to your iLok ID. There you can download the tools and create code signing configurations. That's it.

When? Probably when they found the time to do so. But it didn't take more than 2 days with my account back then.
I didn't get clear answer about PACE system like your answer. :D

Now relaxed!

Yeah,time to wait.

Silence...
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

User avatar
KVRian
636 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:14 am

This is an old thread, but I don't know where else to ask...
I'm about to try to compile my freeware BlueARP plugin as AAX and make it available for ProTools users. I did some research and found out that you need a special 'Developer' version of ProTools to debug your plugin. I downloaded it, and in the ReadMe there is:

This software requires the following iLok licences:
* Pro Tools Developer Build
Required in order to launch the Pro Tools Development Build software.
* (optional) DigiLink I/O
Required in order to use Pro Tools HDX hardware. If this license is not present then
HDX will not be available as a native playback engine and AAX DSP plug-ins will not be
available.
Contact devauth@avid.com if you require any of these licenses. In your e-mail, please
include your iLok.com username, a complete list of licenses that you require, and the
reason for your request.


So I sent them an email with the request, but I kinda have doubts they will respond. I know they require to sign the plugin, but before all that I need to compile it and make sure everything works (it is a MIDI plugin after all, I'm not sure it will work).

Is this the way it works with them, or maybe there's another way I'm missing?

User avatar
KVRist
254 posts since 2 Feb, 2005 from UK

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:13 am

graywolf2004 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:14 am
This is an old thread, but I don't know where else to ask...
I'm about to try to compile my freeware BlueARP plugin as AAX and make it available for ProTools users. I did some research and found out that you need a special 'Developer' version of ProTools to debug your plugin. I downloaded it, and in the ReadMe there is:

This software requires the following iLok licences:
* Pro Tools Developer Build
Required in order to launch the Pro Tools Development Build software.
* (optional) DigiLink I/O
Required in order to use Pro Tools HDX hardware. If this license is not present then
HDX will not be available as a native playback engine and AAX DSP plug-ins will not be
available.
Contact devauth@avid.com if you require any of these licenses. In your e-mail, please
include your iLok.com username, a complete list of licenses that you require, and the
reason for your request.


So I sent them an email with the request, but I kinda have doubts they will respond. I know they require to sign the plugin, but before all that I need to compile it and make sure everything works (it is a MIDI plugin after all, I'm not sure it will work).

Is this the way it works with them, or maybe there's another way I'm missing?
You seem to be on track.
You sign up with the Avid Developer Program (which lets you download the developer version of ProTools - so you can test your plugin pre-signing)
Request the PACE EDEN tool kit
Get a contract from PACE, fill in/sign it, return it
The PACE EDEN Web access tool kit shows up in your iLok
Go to their web server, fill your plugin the details as they request and you are pretty much done.
VST/AU Developer for Hire

User avatar
KVRian
636 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 pm

Lind0n wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:13 am
...
You seem to be on track.
You sign up with the Avid Developer Program (which lets you download the developer version of ProTools - so you can test your plugin pre-signing)
Request the PACE EDEN tool kit
Get a contract from PACE, fill in/sign it, return it
The PACE EDEN Web access tool kit shows up in your iLok
Go to their web server, fill your plugin the details as they request and you are pretty much done.
Thanks for reply! After reading this forum, I was prepared for the worst. I emailed avid I wasn't sure they will reply. They did in a few days. I got my iLok license for Pro Tools Dev version.
Now the pain began. On Mac, I tried several dev versions. One from 2018 and 2019 just didn't pass the license check, but 2020 version finally worked. Looks like their iLok cloud doesn't work for the earlier versions and I don't have the USB iLok. At least, on Mac ProTools launches with no errors and seems to function. So I can proceed on Mac. FYI - OSX 10.11 El Capitain.
On Windows 10 - around 8 hours of constant tries&fails and no result. I tried adjusting the system settings (disable hyperthreading and CPU C-states, adjust high performance mode), installed/removed ASIO4all many times, tried my external audio interface with ASIO support - no luck. I posted a question at dev.avid.com forums, but not sure it will be any help there.

The errors I get in the log:

Code: Select all

2355.288806,00ca0,0e0f: CMN_TRACEASSERT window!=0 e:\code\239027\protools\app\allocator\SystemUsageWindowGeneric.h line 81
2355.288881,00ca0,0e0f: Access Violation: Thread "Main Thread (id=kThreadTableID_MainThread)"
The full log is here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nU6-lW ... sp=sharing

I have i5-8500T CPU with integrated graphics, asus B360-I motherboard, 16 gb ram, SSD drives. I thought integrated graphics was the issue, tried it on another PC with i7 and Nvidia GTX 960 graphics. Just THE SAME error. Maybe someone here will help me - what else to try?

PS. Am I right that I need this PACE EDEN kit to sign my plugin so it will run in normal PT versions; to test my plugin in a DEV version, it is enough to have just the DEV license in iLok?

User avatar
KVRist
254 posts since 2 Feb, 2005 from UK

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:56 am

graywolf2004 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 pm



PS. Am I right that I need this PACE EDEN kit to sign my plugin so it will run in normal PT versions; to test my plugin in a DEV version, it is enough to have just the DEV license in iLok?
Well I can at least reply to this bit - yes you are correct. Cant say I've ever tried to set up the Protools Dev version on Windows('cause I think the number of customers with this config would be like sub 2% at a guess) so I cant help there...
VST/AU Developer for Hire

User avatar
KVRian
636 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:00 am

Lind0n wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:56 am
graywolf2004 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 pm
PS. Am I right that I need this PACE EDEN kit to sign my plugin so it will run in normal PT versions; to test my plugin in a DEV version, it is enough to have just the DEV license in iLok?
Well I can at least reply to this bit - yes you are correct. Cant say I've ever tried to set up the Protools Dev version on Windows('cause I think the number of customers with this config would be like sub 2% at a guess) so I cant help there...
Good point! I didn't think about OSX/Win user distribution. If it is really like 95% on Macs, I don't loose much if I compile it for OSX only, which I hopefully can do now! Yeah, my main dev platform is Windows, but I can make an exception here, no big deal.
Anyway, once they hopefully release a new dev version for Windows, I will try this again. Now they have 2020 and 2021 dev versions for OSX, but only 2019 version for Windows. Which is in line with you words - they don't much care about Windows.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”