Valhalla users - which do you use more Vintage or Room?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
teilo
KVRian
1057 posts since 30 Mar, 2008 from MN, USA

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:37 am

Vintage for me. But when I want clean, I use FF Pro R. Otherwise I'd probably use Room more.

FapFilter
KVRian
891 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:49 am

as people have mentioned: demo them
I only have and use VVV since i vastly preferred it to Room when i demoed it, but your preference might actually be the other way round
There's no Logic to Windows

Dirk Diggler
KVRist
310 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 am

Neither it's SuperMassive for me.

DMG68
KVRist
283 posts since 2 Sep, 2012

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:00 am

I use Room way more than VVV. It fits the sound that I want more than VVV.
Demo both and see which works better for you. Our opinions have nothing to do with the sound you want from a reverb.

Mister Natural
KVRAF
2684 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:39 am

fwiw - I don't have Room ; just VVV and Plate
. . . & Plate sounds amazing on vocals & drums sends
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

cryophonik
KVRAF
7303 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am

foosnark wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:17 am
I use Plate more than both of them combined :D
Yeah, I actually use Plate more than Room, but nowhere near as much as I use Vintage. Too many good options, thanks a LOT, Valhalla! :tantrum: :-x

:D

kritikon
KVRAF

Topic Starter

5570 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Thanks for the input. I definitely will demo both of them early next week when I get a stretch of days off. Lots of comments about Vintage for the synthy stuff - which is probably more of what I'll use it for. Noted the comments on plate - TBH I'll likely continue to use IRs for plates, and there are plenty of good ones available. I never really saw the point of modulation etc on a plate verb - I always thought of them as quite static reverb anyway (I could be completely wrong on that of course) as it's simply sound through a lump of metal.

I'll have a good sit down and listen to reverbs on Monday/Tuesday - just good to hear general opinions. Have to say though that Valhalla is stunning value.

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:43 pm

TL:DR Plate for me, that's the gem! and no, I don't know how real it sounds to real plate or how close to other plates, it's just amazing reverb, period!

KVRAF
3416 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 pm

I use Room much, much more often, but that's mostly because I use it as a barely-there mixing verb. The early reflections section of Room is fantastic for putting things in a space without a long tail muddying things up. VintageVerb really shines when it's adding more 'obvious' reverb, but I find myself reaching for Supermassive instead of VVV quite a lot now. Supermassive is so flexible and straight-up fun to use.

theviirus
KVRist
157 posts since 13 Mar, 2005 from HELL

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:19 pm

i recently went the UA route because I stumbled into it for a stupid low price, so now I have the reverbs that I turned to Valhalla for; Lexicon 224, 480L, and AMS RMX16.

I previously had Room and Plate. If I really find myself missing the Valhalla reverbs, I will gladly throw down money for BOTH VVV and Room.

GET BOTH. Don't know which one to use? Pick one and if you cant get the sound you want in 3 minutes...you probably want the other one.

doctorbray
KVRer
6 posts since 28 Apr, 2021

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:16 pm

Room for me, though you can't go wrong with anything Vahalla. Love the pricing structure too.

kritikon
KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:18 pm

"GET BOTH. Don't know which one to use? Pick one and if you cant get the sound you want in 3 minutes...you probably want the other one."

Nah, not falling for buying daft amounts of plugins again. It'll be one reverb, one delay. Valhalla seem to provide most of what I want for both of them. It's not the money - I could afford to buy all the Valhalla plugins, but I've been there done that, and not getting bogged down with huge numbers of FX that just slow up the process because the choice is so big. I found over many many years that the more s/w I had the more dicking around I did. I always liked the Lexicon flavour for reverb, and Valhalla seem to offer very much that flavour, but I'm just not open to buying a Plate verb, a Vintage verb, a Room verb, then some other kind of verb, then some other after that. I want one, that does most of what I want. If I want something esoteric then I'll adapt Valhalla to it, or it'll already be covered by IR verb. And if none of that covers it, then by definition I'm doing something silly and I should stop it forthwith. :hihi:

kritikon
KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:23 pm

doctorbray wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:16 pm
Room for me, though you can't go wrong with anything Vahalla. Love the pricing structure too.
Yeah. It blows me away that I can get a very good reverb and a superb delay for just $50 each. And I like that they all cost the same. TBH there's not much to dislike about Valhalla. That supermassive freebie thing - when I first heard that...wow! :love: . I could use just that alone for a lot of the stuff I make.

Tendou
KVRian
531 posts since 10 Mar, 2020

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:51 pm

room by far, dont know why but it sounds better with my music without tweaking the default preset. on vintage verb its much harder tp get the sound I want and basicly I always end up using it in Now mode

nadpitt
KVRer
3 posts since 27 Oct, 2021

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:13 pm

Vintage, Plate, then Room... in that order. Shimmer is too nonlinear for my liking. I use the Dada plugin instead.
Neoverb from Izotope is incredibly intuitive.

Mastering Pro-R with FabFilter - will always take the show.

Return to “Effects”