2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

x4
Doepfer A-138pV Performance Mixer Input (Vintage Edition).jpg
x2
vintage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

^^ Certainly a good way to go, though nothing from Doepfer has really done it for me for some reason. I have yet to own a single Doepfer module, I do have 4 extra long Doepfer patch cables that I am not overly fond of, too thin.

It’s silly but the big Cliff jacks put me off; they don’t look right alongside the smaller thonkiconns (and the mostly-logical scheme of jack nuts I have on them). I don’t mind making a new panel but I suspect retrofitting would be a pain as the pins are in different places.

I started with a Doepfer A-100 when there were only 3 companies making eurorack modules. Still my goto for most bread and butter stuff.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I haven't made many changes to my eurorack modular since I got the big MDLR case. But I ordered a few things last week and those things have started to arrive.

Eventide EuroDDL
Instruo Tanh 3
Mutable Beads
Omiindustriies Dual Digital Shift Register
Dnipro Krait

At first I thought that the interface for Krait was a little strange but after working with it for a bit I really like it. I mostly use it as a knob recorder but it's handy as a tempo synced LFO or random generator as well. No CV inputs but it's okay since I had a specific purpose in mind for this one.

The stand out for me has been the Dual Digital Shift Register. It's basically the same as the shift registers on the Double Knot. Feed a steady clock to the clock input and just about anything to the data input for chaotic gates. With some careful feedback patching you can get it to loop and evolve. I have lots of random trigger generators but this is nice for creating events with longer duration.

I also have a Random*Source TKB and XL boat on the way to add to my Serge setup. I'd still like to add a Soup Kitchen panel some day but we're about to start remodeling our kitchen (not synth related, though modular in a way) so it will have to wait.

I have the Krait on my list, I am a big fan of DNIPro :tu:

The Omiindustriies Dual Digital Shift Register has been on my list a while, sadly I never grabbed one. I believe she has discontinued it unfortunately. I wonder if she will even make anymore modules actually. :shrug:

A midi controller. Been using the microfreak but need more keys. Probably get one from Arturia with 49 keys.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Ramping up on wanting a Mojopedals. But that'll be dependant on selling what I have listed in the market here.

Dammit!

ehx operation overlord... this one was fairly cheap and on sale. The last thing I needed, (stereo) reverb, delay and distortion. Should cover a lot of ground for me and keep me busy a while.

I've added three new bits of gear...

The first one (not pictured) is a Joyo wireless transmitter for the guitar. I wanted something to make it easier to practice. It was $30 on Amazon and so far does it does its job. I wouldn't record with it, but it works for practicing.

Then I got my Positive Grid Spark. I had actually canceled my first order and then re-ordered when they posted a new sale. I'm using it just for practicing and I'm liking the workflow.

Lastly... I picked up the El Rey Dorado from Robert Keeley. This is just a quick plexi tone in a pedal. I love this sound and it beats the software versions.

ImageImage

just ordered
rk006-image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These budget seismic audio patch cables from Amazon are decent enough and the price is not bad for a 10 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053 ... UTF8&psc=1

As are these mini extension cords for all your wall wart hassles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9 ... =UTF8&th=1

:shrug:

pekbro wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:57 pm These budget seismic audio patch cables from Amazon are decent enough and the price is not bad for a 10 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053 ... UTF8&psc=1

As are these mini extension cords for all your wall wart hassles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9 ... =UTF8&th=1

:shrug:
10 individual sockets! :o
might be an idea to look at a power block thing? less chance of noise n suchlike, not to mention, saves 9 plug sockets for modular to jam along to on guitar :band:

I use them like this, to eliminate crowding:

lotta times you can only fit 2 or 3 wall warts on the strip and you lose some outlets.
Also save you from having to unplug the wall warts a lot, some of the universal snap together
ones seems like they would break after a while of that. :shrug:

ah, i see! :tu:
our plugs and sockets are quite wide anyway, so don't really have the same issue.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”