Did You Want To Be Famous When You Got Into Using Sequencers ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I dont care about fame.

I care more about seeing the O'rly owl again after a long time , thats true fame, like the picard facepalm, or omg cat.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Well the stories of Mr Trancer indicate someone that began with sequencers before musicianship was even a glint there, so...

My first use of a sequencer was in 1986 for The Green Show at the Green Room at the old MOMA in the War Memorial Opera House on Van Ness.
the sequence for the show was scrambled when a lighting person unplugged the MIDI cable from a port on that computer (this is before MIDI boxes were a thing) setting up. the serial port Iirc. The OS lived on a floppy, it's almost inconceivable, unplug a MIDI cable and data is completely buggered. So we had to cover it improvising.
(The show f**king conveyed tho, standing ovation after I'd sang The Green Green Grass of Home to put a tragic kind of cap on the movie. Yes, there was a movie. It was a War Memorial kind of story with the poor boy who's gone off to Nam and come back home destroyed.

We gave the audience LSD in a great vat of green KoolAid, but most of the people there were there for a Franz Kline opening downstairs.
Embezzled half a million in insurance to qualify to rent that room, too. There was no Photoshop or anything, it took major printing hardware and an all-nighter at the black radical newspaper (where the two visuals people worked) to do it.)

the sequence was for Intro to Green Acres. It was fantastic, I had all these samples off the TV, so you'd hear a way slowed-down Darling I love you but, creepshow shit. but we did something else with it which was also dark... so nonetheless the entrance of dada da dant dah - DUNT DUNT had pretty much the impact we're going for.

fame looks like a lot of hard work, for very little actual rewards.
yes, there's money and probably sexy times if you want them, but are they worth the inevitable loss of freedom you get?
its all well and good, if everyone that recognises you is a nice fan, who might smile or at worst ask for an autograph.
but most famous people have people that don't appreciate them, and will tell them so, often quite bluntly. (eg if i meet bono, ill tell him he's a snivelling prick) or worse still, mental fans who send you cakes full of pubes, or shoot you.
and what about when you just want to go out for a walk? poor kanye has to dress as a haunted mannequin just to get some free time!

it seems very much too high-maintenance for me. and a little unsavory. I was hometown famous for like five minutes, I'd prefer to be less noticable than even that was.

jancivil wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:14 pm it seems very much too high-maintenance for me. and a little unsavory. I was hometown famous for like five minutes, I'd prefer to be less noticable than even that was.
i actually left my hometown for that very reason.
sadly, my face was well known to local constabulary, as a member of my family, and as my uncle was a thieving bastard for a time, we used to get hassle from the beat bobbies.

also, being a small town, id kind of burned most of my bridges falling out with exes, that there werent too many girls who weren't friends with a least one ex left...

funny the things you think at 18.
i mean, obviously there are people here (im back) that i don't know, but at that age, thought id seen the whole town!

jancivil wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:14 pm it seems very much too high-maintenance for me.
i remember watching some thing on telly with david beckham, travelling to some tribes in south america on a motorbike.
he came away from it and his fondest memory, was being in this tribes village, and no one had a clue who he was.

all the way through brazil, as soon as he took the helmet off, he was getting mobbed by kids. that must be hell really, i mean probably nice at first, but years and years of not being able to just nip out.

or those famous women, who they eat something and it's news because they might put a pound on oh nooooo!!!!
ooh look at her cellulite!!!!

I used to be Paul Rodgers but I'm all right now.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:37 pm I used to be Paul Rodgers but I'm all right now.
:smack:

:D
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm always somewhat surprised at the number of introverts who become famous, although I probably shouldn't be. I'm very much an extrovert and seeking fame/fortune seems very much like an extroverted thing to do, so it's a little difficult for me to relate, but it seems that introverts are invariably the ones who are making the music that most appeals to me. Maybe that's a topic for another discussion, though.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:02 pm On a somewhat related topic, I'm always somewhat surprised at the number of introverts who become famous, although I probably shouldn't be. I'm very much an extrovert and seeking fame/fortune seems very much like an extroverted thing to do, so it's a little difficult for me to relate, but it seems that introverts are invariably the ones who are making the music that most appeals to me. Maybe that's a topic for another discussion, though.
If I made provide the dumbest explanation of all time, when Ozzy did that rock school reality show, he specifically chose the quiet weird kid to be the singer. He knew the quiet one was the one who desperately needed an outlet and would explode when handed a microphone.

vurt wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:56 pm i think we've found someone, who wanted fame, but failed, and is now jealous of anyone that did make it.
especially if they made it, recently.
Don't know who you're implying here, but I don't and never have done envied anyone who made it in the field of music or anything else. I'd find that a bazaar assumption to make in regard to myself, it's just not how I think or view others in the world.

I watched Jean Micheal Jarre in 1986 on TV doing his big stage shows as a kid, I aspired to be able to do that myself one day in my life. The opportunity to perform something for others to listen to, as he did. My Dad could play five instruments, but his primary one was the acoustic 6 and 12-string guitar and could sing a few tunes too. He was a showman in his own way, and we played together with myself on the keyboards at home. My sister plays the grand piano... I play and compose original works... my brothers do their own thing in life regarding music, mostly listening for pleasure, like much of the world does.

Just being known for my passion in creating music for videos I created at Uni provided a contact and friend to invite me to have the opportunity to get paid to assist in working at music festival and stadium events years later.

If the opportunity of being famous, a DJ/ Music artist provided the means to have loads of money through the passion one has in creating music was there to be had, then very few people would say no to that. Most of us need the desire and motivation to create great works of art and the reward of that is make a life from that. Comparing one self to others will make you a miserable soul, it's something I avoid, and I do my own thing.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

it's pretty weird to me that I see 'when you got into using sequencers' in the stead of 'when you got into music'.

(there were no sequencers anybody I knew had for the first, oh, 15 years I was a musician. You played music, if you're on a stage you play or you sing or at least bang on a tambourine in time. There was no Milli Vanilli, even.)

jancivil wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 pm it's pretty weird to me that I see 'when you got into using sequencers' in the stead of 'when you got into music'.

(there were no sequencers anybody I knew had for the first, oh, 15 years I was a musician. You played music, if you're on a stage you play or you sing or at least bang on a tambourine in time. There was no Milli Vanilli, even.)
Well.. I was being specific in the title... If I said when you got into music then that could mean anything such as just listening to music in general or watching it being performed in some way. Finding a sequencer and knowing that it was the tool that would open the door to the freedom of creativity that you could capitalise on and do something with. I substituted DAWs for sequencers because back in the 1980's and even 1990's, it's what they were known by.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”