Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6611 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 am

toitoi wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 am
Arashi wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:30 pm
Caine123 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:51 pm
That would be awesome! I read that the jd990 had no real additions other than it was a module version and had other patches? Is that correct? If so it should be easy ro get these patches :)
The JD-990 added many new features that aren't in the JD-800.
Jd990 vst will be a separate purchase. Roland style 8)
i doubt that :/ with such less effort i dont think they will release the jd990 and want to release each expansion as a vst. roland sucks here big times, korg is not great either but they include the xps etc.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

PAK
KVRian
1122 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:35 am

toitoi wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 am
Jd990 vst will be a separate purchase. Roland style 8)
That seems to be the plan. :scared: Not even adding sysex import, to the Zenology JD800 code, makes it look like padding the numbers for subscription purposes. At least anyone, who bought a lifetime key for the Zenology JD800, doesn't have to feel bad I suppose :party: If doing the decent thing ( ... ) Roland should consider offering them a free crossgrade..

Other than the Juno 60, the last (Non Zenology / Non drum) dedicated synth release Roland made was the SRX Studio back in May 2019. Even that's a bit of a sore point since, I think, most users agree it'd have been much better integrating the SRX series into the main 5080 plugin, just as they did for Zenology (minus things like reverb!)

At least they've got a second chance to put things right, in a 990 plugin, I suppose. But I think some are disappointed that they failed to do stuff like tweak the filter code (enough users have now noticed the expected 12kHz VS 11kHz Zenology difference, Roland) and, if they do a lot more of this type of thing, it might well end up tarnishing the Legendary series..

If they're gonna repurpose code they might at least consider the ProMars to Jupiter 4. Or find the VP-03 code, they seem to have lost, and finally release the VP330 plugin. It's the only Boutique series instrument without a plugin release now.

KVRAF
6611 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am

but why should anyone get a lifetime key for jd800 if they release a jd990 plugin which will surpass the jd800 plugin?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

PAK
KVRian
1122 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:05 am

Caine123 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am
but why should anyone get a lifetime key for jd800 if they release a jd990 plugin which will surpass the jd800 plugin?
Indeed. Good point. Perhaps Roland might interest you in an alternative subscription plan? :lol: ;)

KVRAF
6611 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am

PAK wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:05 am
Caine123 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am
but why should anyone get a lifetime key for jd800 if they release a jd990 plugin which will surpass the jd800 plugin?
Indeed. Good point. Perhaps Roland might interest you in an alternative subscription plan? :lol: ;)
just sayin how lazy they are with all the xv 5080 expansions and half baked releases and even d60 vs d550 etc. i dont see any efforts from their side. im just so pissed cause it is the anniversary year? of the jd800 and they just dont show any efforts. Brian will also not reply here as i suppose, sorry brian no offense, is just marketing the products otherweise we would see better support and products.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
10535 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:38 am

Caine123 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am
PAK wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:05 am
Caine123 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am
but why should anyone get a lifetime key for jd800 if they release a jd990 plugin which will surpass the jd800 plugin?
Indeed. Good point. Perhaps Roland might interest you in an alternative subscription plan? :lol: ;)
just sayin how lazy they are with all the xv 5080 expansions and half baked releases and even d60 vs d550 etc. i dont see any efforts from their side. im just so pissed cause it is the anniversary year? of the jd800 and they just dont show any efforts. Brian will also not reply here as i suppose, sorry brian no offense, is just marketing the products otherwise we would see better support and products.
Roland has been repackaging their products since the 80s. They started with the D-50, and although every now and then they launched a truly new and good product (E.G. the V-Synth), most of the time they simply repackaged and reused their old products.

I though (naïve) that this time it would be different, but they seem to be back to the old habits.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRian
852 posts since 10 Jan, 2010

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:46 am

Even the xv5080(/jv1080) and jd800 are essentially the same aren’t they? But that programming interface is pretty nice on the 800….

KVRAF
6611 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:24 pm

Guys sure they repackage but we talk about vst versions newly released of their old synths, it is not much expectes that they release those with full content etc and not half baked stuff.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

User avatar
KVRAF
8568 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Had some fun earlier creating some patches from init state on the JD-800 using my little X Touch Mini to play with CC Learned controls. Bit of a shame some things aren’t mapped so there’s no mapping for each of the 4 tones’ oscillator types, but maybe they figured people would try and whack on a rapid LFO and it’d kill the CPU. I’d ask Roland to enable mapping everything and just let us play. For instance, I’d look to tie all 4 tones to super slow random sample and hold LFOs running at different rates. That shouldn’t kill the CPU, but still potentially lead to interesting results.
Unless I’m missing something like they’re adhering to mapping only those things addressable on the original hardware.

KVRAF
29951 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:30 pm

I haven't really used any of the Cloud instruments, but, seems like Roland did a good job with the JD-800? GUI looks nice, and it seems to be very close to the original.

Still waiting for a Cloud JP-8000 though. :) Come on Roland!
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRist
254 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:39 pm

The new JD-800 seems to use the Zen-core filter. So, in essence, it's a Zen-core expansion JD-800 with new graphics. It's a shame because the original JD-800 has arguably the best digital filter Roland has ever made.

KVRAF
29951 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Hm!
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
4610 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Yep it uses the zencore TVF filter ( not vcf ) which has a max freq of 11khz .
The same filter is used in their cloud srx series , xv5080 , integra 7 (pcm synth engine )
This filter has been recycled to death
The og jd800-990 filter maxed out at12 khz and is considered to be the best digital filter roland has ever created .
Not including the legendary filter in this release is just stupid ,a shameles cash grab .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRist
254 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:33 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:59 pm
Yep it uses the zencore TVF filter ( not vcf ) which has a max freq of 11khz .
The same filter is used in their cloud srx series , xv5080 , integra 7 (pcm synth engine )
This filter has been recycled to death
The og jd800-990 filter maxed out at12 khz and is considered to be the best digital filter roland has ever created .
Not including the legendary filter in this release is just stupid ,a shameles cash grab .
Yeah….without the JD’s legendary filter the software version is a fake JD-800.

KVRer
24 posts since 3 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:57 am

All what is missing is the sysex import so please Roland make this happened like in the D-50.
Sysex import is part of a real emulation because there are many many sounds out there.
Why this is not an option in Version 1 ?
I don't understand Roland developer they know we want this.

Return to “Instruments”