Windows instead of Mac for near future ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think you were lucky to have skipped straight into a later version of Windows 10. Every one of those 6 monthly updates has refined and improved things to the point where I'm not sure it could get a whole lot better. Windows 11 mostly seems to be moving things around to make it look different, rather than actually improving it. Having played around with it a couple of times now, it's not as bad as some of the reviews were saying it might be. I'm sure I could live with it but, because it doesn't seem to be better in any way at all, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. It can wait until my next laptop.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:13 am I think you were lucky to have skipped straight into a later version of Windows 10. Every one of those 6 monthly updates has refined and improved things to the point where I'm not sure it could get a whole lot better. Windows 11 mostly seems to be moving things around to make it look different, rather than actually improving it. Having played around with it a couple of times now, it's not as bad as some of the reviews were saying it might be. I'm sure I could live with it but, because it doesn't seem to be better in any way at all, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. It can wait until my next laptop.
Well that's probably true. I didn't intend to wait that long, it was just a chore to have to do
because my windows installation was not really upgradable as I had moved quite a lot of stuff
around that generally you shouldn't move. I procrastinated for 5 years basically.

I think in the last 5 years I've had 6 different laptops. Well, 5 at least, possibly 6. I doubt I have held onto a computer for 5 years in my life.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 am I think in the last 5 years I've had 6 different laptops. Well, 5 at least, possibly 6. I doubt I have held onto a computer for 5 years in my life.
I don't buy laptops usually, I build hi-performance, state of the art (at the time) gaming desktops for tons of money. They can remain useful to me for some time, even after 10 years this machine is still capable of anything I need as it's got multiple graphics cards and shit. Typically they will cost me $6
or 7k or so.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 am I think in the last 5 years I've had 6 different laptops. Well, 5 at least, possibly 6. I doubt I have held onto a computer for 5 years in my life.
Bro, you are claiming how bad Apple is but you switched your Windows laptop 6 times in five year? Don't you see a tiny bit of irony in that? I have been using my MPB 2012 till last week, with absolutely no problem at all.

No, you are speculating based on the wrong assumption. I buy a new laptop every year because it is the cheapest way to stay up to date. A one year old laptop, if it is still a current model, is easy to sell for good money and, as I always buy when I can get a good deal, I usually only lose $200-$300 over that year. OTOH, if I keep a laptop for two or three years and it's no longer a current model, I'll be lucky to get back half what I paid for it, i.e. I'll lose up to a grand over two years, so it just makes good financial sense to turn them over more regularly.

I also like to try different things and sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. e.g. I bought a liquid cooled Acer 2-in-1 a few years ago, then a gaming laptop, then a used Surface Pro and now a dual-screen jobbie. The Acer was cool (literally) but the screen was a bit small. The gaming laptop was great but a bit to bulky to be very portable and the Surface Pro's 6th gen CPU was just a bit too old to be able to handle everything I needed it to do.

The Zenbook Duo I have now was an opportunity too good to pass up - a current model laptop that retails for Au$2499 for Au$1140, just because it had a dent in the lid (which wouldn't have happened if it was made of plastic, BTW). With this machine I found a form factor that really works for me in every way, with fewer compromises than anything I have used before, so it's possible that I'll keep it for longer than any of the others, although it's equally likely that if I see a newer model for a bargain price, I'll buy that and move this on. But this one was so cheap I reckon I could easily get my money back next year, so it won't matter one way or the other.

I'd also point out that I think I currently have 7 MIDI controllers and a similar number of USB audio I/O devices because I like to try different things to find out which ones work best for me. I should probably sell the old ones once I find something better but I never seem to get around to it.

You know what the cheapeast way to stay up to date is on Mac? You buy one and then you keep it for 10 years.

isn't that universal though?
My i am finally switching my 11 years old Windows laptop for a new one. And before that the span was roughly the same between my laptops.
My Android phone is 12 years old i believe which is even still on it's first battery (which would even be replaceable). Will change to a current one soon aswell though
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:27 am isn't that universal though?
Of course. It's just another desperate way of justifying the higher expense.

I'm switching to Mac this time (ok, switching might not be the right word, as i'm still planning to get me another current Windows laptop again aswell - plus i'm still keeping my current one from 2010, which was high end back then and for normal everyday jobs still more than just adequate enough), but things like this always seemed hilarious to me how people justified their choice.
Windows people usually don't care as they just use what they get, but “minorities“ like Apple or Linux users seem to have the urge to convert other people too from “that crappy inferior system which doesn't work, is always crashing and is made by the devil himself“
Funny thing is, i never had much trouble with Windows. And especially not with Win 7, which i personally wouldn't have any trouble using for eternity.
And even more funny, that “crappy unprofessional thing“ often comes first when it comes to benchmarking things available on all platforms and in 99.999999% you won't have any compatibility issues between Windows updates, even if we are talking about gaps of 3 major versions upwards or downwards, often even more than that. Easily.
Win 3.1 and before sucked though.
Last edited by FapFilter on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Know what's so fkn awesome about Windows? I'm playing Tomb Raider 2 from 1997 at the moment, and, apart from applying a community made patch which was made for it to work with modern computers, adds widescreen support and higher resolutions, it just works. Ok, it was designed to work on DOS, so, there's probably Dosbox running in the background, or something similar, but, it's amazing how much software still works, with minimum amount, or even out of the box. Couldn't imagine using computers which don't do that.

Yup, added something similar to my post afterwards.
But for true Mac people, breaking things most of the time even seems to be a feature that separates professionalism from amateurism

At the very least, Mac people mostly don't seem too uneager to eat what's been put on the table. ;) I thought this might be a bit less in the post-Jobs era, but, not really.

I like that everything in Mac is multi-client.
If one if migrating from Mac to PC I'd advise them to first check out if their audio interface is multi-client in Windows (RME is typically multi-client).

gainstage wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:21 pm I like that everything in Mac is multi-client.
If one if migrating from Mac to PC I'd advise them to first check out if their audio interface is multi-client in Windows (RME is typically multi-client).
The RME implementation on Windows is actually vastly superior to what RME did for Mac OS. The WDM Devices option, under the Hammerfall DSP traybar app, means you can have up to eight i/o devices exposed not only to ASIO applications, but to general OS apps (Skype, Zoom, etc etc) via the OS itself, all 8 of them with full routing control under Total Mix.

Whereas, on Mac OS, you can see the multiple devices, but you're limited to using one at a time for the main system I/O. And, no, you can't use the aggregate device stuff to "get around it", because it still only lets you select the one set of I/O to use at the OS level.

RME's loopback facilities, under Windows, are nothing short of amazing. You can be sending different mix minus settings, via loopack, to multiple different apps with no issue. Just use a different I/O with each app, with the different mix settings. You could even do something like send different left and right channel mixes if an app supports stereo input!

Most people don't realize RME's drivers can do this stuff, but it means you never need to use kludgey loopback solutions if you own an RME card. Though, as said, unfortunately, you're limited to the one I/O device on Mac OS, compared to eight on Windows. (Again, talking about ordinary apps at OS level, not ASIO aware DAW hosts.. )

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”