Logic Pro: Freeze Tracks issue

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Logic Pro-fessors!

1) I "freeze" tracks in a Logic Pro project.

2) After my work is complete, I save & close.

3) Upon re-opening this project file. I hit "play" and the project automatically goes into "freeze tracks mode" for the same tracks that were already previously frozen.

3) Thus, the previous frozen tracks are not being recalled. Though they were saved in the "freeze folders". I've checked my freeze folder after freezing & closing the project.

4) Upon open & initiating "play". When Logic goes directly into "freezing mode" - it creates a new "freeze file" and over-writes the previously frozen tracks in the folder. Not nice!

As you can imagine, this is terribly time consuming and etc. Is there any fix for this? This hasn't happened with all project files.

Thanks in advance :-))

My system:
Logic 10.6.3
Catalina
Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5; 32gb ram

I just tried this with Logic 10.6.3 on my m1 running Big Sur. Works as expected. I froze some instruments, pressed play, saved the project, reopened, pressed play and it worked as normal. You could try reinstalling Logic and see if that helps.
Yo.

@Skandiluz Thanks for your note - much appreciated. Yeah, my issue only seems to work with some projects. I'm hesitating reinstalling Logic because I have a number of personal settings of which I don't won't to lose & re-build. :-) Cheers!

thematix wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:50 am @Skandiluz Thanks for your note - much appreciated. Yeah, my issue only seems to work with some projects. I'm hesitating reinstalling Logic because I have a number of personal settings of which I don't won't to lose & re-build. :-) Cheers!
Can you save your preferences before you re install ?

bill45 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:11 pm
thematix wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:50 am @Skandiluz Thanks for your note - much appreciated. Yeah, my issue only seems to work with some projects. I'm hesitating reinstalling Logic because I have a number of personal settings of which I don't won't to lose & re-build. :-) Cheers!
Can you save your preferences before you re install ?
Hmmm, I don't believe it's that simple. There's library data (huge), presets, key commands & etc. Thanks though! :-)))

I discovered. Hard drive space appears to be 1 factor.

When the main drive begins to fill up and the OS detects it may have a shortage of space. The OS begins independently deleting system and work files it deems least valuable. Thus deleting the “LPX freeze files” upon startup/reopening a LPX project file to clear work space.

Although I had roughly 25% disc space free (including purgeable). Once I freed up more “main drive” space the issue was resolved.

:tu:

And people don't believe me when I tell them to leave their boot drive no more than 50-75% full, even on SSDs. Between AFS, the new "hidden" system partition, needing a huge hunk free for virtual memory, needing room to grow the OS and apps with additions and updates, room to add new projects, etc.

I am pretty merciless in keeping my drive clean from unnecessary files as I do keep stuff like my Spectrasonics Steam folder (60+gb), orchestral library (10+gb), Arturia V collection (30+gb) all on my boot drive. I had 240gb free on my 480gb drive. After this week's Arturia update, I now have 235gb free. It all adds up very quickly.

When it comes to additional drives that will be read-only for the most part, like sample libraries, you can fill them up to the brim.

Edit: Sorry I'm so crabby today.... Just leave yourself some room on your boot drive. I forget that people are plunking down for 8TB drives these days...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I don't have to use freeze much, thankfully, but I have an issue with a current project. It's 8 minutes long, but freeze wants to go for 17 minutes.
The project used to be longer, so 17 minutes would probably be the correct length before. I've looked to see if there are any hidden tracks with midi data longer than 8 minutes, and apparently not. Can't see any automation data either.
If I zoom to focus entire project it zooms to 8 minutes. I can't see anything in project settings that would set the length of freezing. I tried unfreezing all, and re-freezing: same result.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:59 pm I don't have to use freeze much, thankfully, but I have an issue with a current project. It's 8 minutes long, but freeze wants to go for 17 minutes.
The project used to be longer, so 17 minutes would probably be the correct length before. I've looked to see if there are any hidden tracks with midi data longer than 8 minutes, and apparently not. Can't see any automation data either.
If I zoom to focus entire project it zooms to 8 minutes. I can't see anything in project settings that would set the length of freezing. I tried unfreezing all, and re-freezing: same result.
Try shortening the project length by dragging the triangle on the timeline at the very end of the project window

ozinga wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:49 am Try shortening the project length by dragging the triangle on the timeline at the very end of the project window
That's wild, I never noticed that this elementary feature was there, probably because of my habit of keeping a lot of spare junk after the bulk of my projects such that I'm never fully zoomed-out.
It of course fixes the problem. Cheers!
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:19 pm
ozinga wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:49 am Try shortening the project length by dragging the triangle on the timeline at the very end of the project window
That's wild, I never noticed that this elementary feature was there, probably because of my habit of keeping a lot of spare junk after the bulk of my projects such that I'm never fully zoomed-out.
It of course fixes the problem. Cheers!
Yeah, I hate that little thingy. That marker has been there since time immemorial and I've had a long-standing battle with it.

I keep all my unused, but needed, junk in a handful of disabled tracks at the bottom of my project. That way, I can place them beneath the relevant sections in case I need to press them back into service. No hunting around in browsers or file trees.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”