IK Mulitmedia T-RackS TASCAM Tape Collection available now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personally I'd love to see somebody tackle the early Studers, like the J37.

I am sick and tired of the yearly forced Waves WUP nonsense (calculated by the MSRP, not the price you invested in sales from their OFFICIAL SALES PARTNERS!), as legit paying user. I already have like 4 Waves versions installed on my HDD, and each "forced engine upgrade" doesn't add anything new code-wise. No more, stop treating me like a criminal! "Updates for life" is a thing, else stop the 99% discount sales!

...unless I invest the time in "1:1 porting" J37 to U-HE SATIN. But I'd love to have something simple, like the other TR5 tape machines so far. Setting proper reference levels would be nice though, same goes for IPS values from 7,5ips to 30ips (at least for the A80), but oh well. Can't have everything.

My question remains:
When does the Intro Deal end?
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:35 pm the yearly forced Waves WUP nonsense
Huh? In all these years since I got my first Waves plugin I never spent a single dime on WUP and they all (I now own loads of them) work flawlessly to this day. Back then I was on Win7, now - many machines later - I am on 11. So I have no idea what on earth you might possibly be ranting about.
It's pretty safe to say that it must be something imagined though.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:52 pm
Huh? In all these years since I got my first Waves plugin I never spent a single dime on WUP and they all (I now own loads of them) work flawlessly to this day. Back then I was on Win7, now - many machines later - I am on 11. So I have no idea what on earth you might possibly be ranting about.
Then you obviously only use one computer for audio.

I got the HLS plugin after our discussion about it. It's OK, but I am really regretting getting involved with Waves. They will sell you the plugin for dirt cheap because it's all about trapping you in their WUP scheme. Now I will have to pay Waves a yearly extortion fee if I don't want them to cancel my laptop authorization.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:56 pm
No, actually I don't - why?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:56 pm Now I will have to pay Waves a yearly extortion fee if I don't want them to cancel my laptop authorization.
Or just buy a second copy of it for $29 or less on sale.
Image Image Image Image

As usual, it's "all in my mind" that Waves extorts me form just buying a new plugin, and move over to the most recent engine. No... I bought TimeAlign for Engine 9, J37 for Engine 10, got Berzerk for Engine 11, we're on 13 now or something?

Guess what, in order to use all three mentioned tools, which I actually do quite a lot, I need to have each individual engine installed. So sick of it! Same goes for people telling me to "just do so, never pay a dime". Just keep the waste off of my HDD, things simplified (custom installation is fun - not!), "up-to-date" (OS and hosts and all) and go for the most recent one?

Waves: "What the f#ck are you thinking, mate! We didn't change code for these plugins, but we don't care. Want to be on the most recent engine that we release every October now, because each plugin means a .1 update, pay us again! Oh and since we're calculating by the MSRP of 350quid each, not the 19-29USD sales prices... pay up!". And also "oh want custom installers for your tools only? Hahaha! Only most recent engine. Didn't save a backup or custom installer?! You're out of luck".

All in all, I didn't even invest 120 USD into Waves throughout the years, yet every WUP would cost me 260 quid or something (it's topped at that value or so)! Totally fair...

That is what I'm talking about. This crap needs to be called out, yet nobody talks about it. Only "ooh! Sale! F'n steal at 29bucks a piece. Freebie?! LET'S GOOOOOO!"

But this is not about Waves...
...this is about IK Multimedia.

And I've yet to get an answer to my question.
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

jens wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:45 pm
jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:56 pm
No, actually I don't - why?
Because Waves only gives you 2 authorizations, and they take one of them away when your WUP expires. How is it that you are using your Waves plugins on more than one computer without your WUP being current?

The intro pricing will last at least 30 days from release, so you'll be good for a short while longer.

According to the KVR thread date, 12-OCT-2021, so 11-NOV-2021... by mid/end next week.

Thanks Peter, I can work with that date / time frame.

jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 pm How is it that you are using your Waves plugins on more than one computer without your WUP being current?
You basically have five options:

- simply don't use Waves plugins on both machines but just on your main mixing machine

- buy a second license (as sprnva has already pointed out)

- move the licences to the cloud before switching machines

- put the licences on a USB stick

- set both machines to the same Mac-address

All this works without WUP. The second license is a relatively recent addition to WUP anyway,.

Compyfox wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:38 am According to the KVR thread date, 12-OCT-2021, so 11-NOV-2021... by mid/end next week.

Thanks Peter, I can work with that date / time frame.
Sorry I had looked up that date to be sure then completely spaced on including it in my reply. That is correct, though, glad it is workable.

...they indeed seem to be less subtle than the previous collection. The stereo field irregularities are more noticeable and I find the differences between the different tape formulas to be bigger with these new ones.

multree wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:49 pm ...they indeed seem to be less subtle than the previous collection. The stereo field irregularities are more noticeable and I find the differences between the different tape formulas to be bigger with these new ones.
Yeah, I’m not really digging the Tascam Collection. They seem to only degrade the sound quality. So at least they’re accurate Tascam models. :lol:

I’d really go for an Ampex ATR-100 series so I could get the Ampex sound at 30 ips on my masterbus mixdown.

That's exactly why I seem to dig them. My firm favourite seems to be the A-3340S.
On the master bus I always used the Tape Machine 80 from the previous collection. It's nice and punchy.

I just wish they'd have included some tape hiss (not as extreme as in the space delay but very subtle and tasty)

still putting the demo through its paces, but here's a nice setting for the kick drum channel (mic used was a cheap superlux, directly in the sound hole) the maxed bias setting does something lovely with the 35 tape formula. it's like a super unobtrusive gate.
Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 21.25.42.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Effects”