One Synth Challenge #153: K1v by Nils Schneider (Vovaman wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... 153-k1v-by

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #153! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Rules Used This Month:
  • Imported Samples are not allowed: There is plenty of scope with the samples provided in the synth.
  • Effects: For this month only the rules on Fx type are relaxed i.e. modulations, distortions, granular etc. may all be used (and can go full 11!) as long as the source sound is from the K1v - no external sound generators or audio rate modulations. All Fx used must be freeware and be freely available at the start of the competition, no betas.

And now for something completely different... K1v is an epic emulation of a classic Japanese rompler, compatible with the original hardware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTqC_bP76K0

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: Either 1x NFR software license of either Bioscape or Lunaris, or two soundsets of choice

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sweet.

Yeah nice one team :tu: Should be fun

I'm excited! I might even have the time to enter this month.

I make no promises that a Leonard Bowman track with unlimited FX will be any more or less musical than my previous tracks, but it should be interesting.
Curious how other folks are going to approach this concept.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

"Includes 968 Single presets and 384 Multi presets, the original factory bank + all ROM cards + all 200 Kawai PHm Pop Synth Module Singles. Organized in banks and with search capability"
I'm just clarifying - everything that comes with K1v can be used, right?)
This synthesizer is just like a vintage El Dorado!
By the way, maybe I missed it, but it seems there is no link to the synthesizer on the OSC website yet.

Is using granular effects with pitch shift/overlay (not full wet) also ok?.. :roll:

OK, so effects with an LFO like phaser, frequency shifter and the like, keep the rate below 20hz?
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

bjporter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm Rules Note:
  • Effects: All Fx used must be freeware and be freely available at the start of the competition, no betas.

What do you mean by "no betas".
For example the most recent version of OrilRiver by Denis Tihanov is a beta (2.0.3 Beta). It is also one of the free plugins recommended by OSC here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/free-plugins

Does that mean that who uses OrilRiver will be disqualified? :o

L-EctroBit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:14 am
bjporter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm Rules Note:
  • Effects: All Fx used must be freeware and be freely available at the start of the competition, no betas.

What do you mean by "no betas".
For example the most recent version of OrilRiver by Denis Tihanov is a beta (2.0.3 Beta). It is also one of the free plugins recommended by OSC here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/free-plugins

Does that mean that who uses OrilRiver will be disqualified? :o
Sorry, its a bit clumsy - this is intended to refer to the original line in the rules regarding plugin availability. If the version used is generally available and not time limited in any way it should not be a problem.

This sounds interesting indeed! Ironically I don't think I need modulation fx as much when working with samples, compared to more "raw" synth sounds. But it's always nice to have the option :)

wow! yesterday i accidentally found this plugin and loved it — and here we have the challenge.
looks like a sign.

Wish more was emulated on the 90's rompler side. I'd pay someone at least 3 pints of beer and some crisps in any flavor desired for a Yamaha MU-Series or SW1000XG VSTi. Some of the old XG sounds are really quite difficult to simulate as they had a distinct vibe all to themselves and the rom's are impossible to hack it seems. I regularly reach for the vsti out of Yamaha SOL2 or record the QY70. For that early 90's chilled London M25 party 6am rave sound the XG synths, K1v etc always hits the spot for me anyway. Still sound great when not used by the trance boys haha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRm2r2qADg

--
Last edited by yplugins on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Don't spend a lot of time editing then think your DAW will save the config. Upon reloading, all patches went back to the lovely
IA-1 Ahh

I guess we'll need to edit patches, export the bank, then use program changes to load up the correct patch?
Would also need to import that bank on every instance every time you load the project?

Maybe I'm missing something. Hopefully.

EDIT!: This was the VST3 version on WIndows 10. VST2 DLL WORKS FINE AND SAVES.

yplugins wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:32 am Hello, here my entry
Hello! Of course, it's not bad. And in principle, K1v sounds great from the start, a little filter, EQ and reverb and the track is ready! *figuratively
But I still don't understand why it's so early to put out a sufficiently raw track. This is reasonable only in one case - if you are absolutely sure that you will not have a single free hour until the end of the month. Otherwise, you deprive yourself of the pleasure and opportunity to learn and develop through the OSC competition and community.
P.S. In any case, this is your right and I will not encroach on it! :hug:

Return to “Instruments”