d16 - did they abandon specific plugins -Phoscyon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys i really like the sound of this plugin but the gui size is a pain and i see their forums are not very active too. I saw they released a lot of plugins but it seems they dont update them much?

Phoscyon is still not updated and no one can tell me the gui is workable with its tiny knobs :/
Last edited by Caine123 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I guess they are unable to develop a brand new product that will actually attract the attention of the masses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Yes, it seems D16 has abandoned development and maintenance of their plugins. Unless there is something wrong with my newsletter subscription, I never receive or see any info about updating plugins.

Their Facebook is quite active and recent. And they updated the entire silverline earlier this year.

Probably a bad idea to start baseless rumours.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Crap sorry guys i will edit it was meant for phoscyon
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Yes, they "abandoned" it...

Unthinkable that they don't do a fancy new GUI for their 16 year old plugins, I know. Because it happens all the time with other developers.

We should make a subforum here, for the poor "abandoned" users, then they can cry all day long under their equals there. I propose Caine123 as the moderator.

Phoscyon's GUI is perfectly fine, BTW. Unless you use a 27" 4k screen, on which everything is tiny.

They seem to be active on Twitter as well. Ping them there if you have any concerns before buying.

http://twitter.com/d16group
Stormchild

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am We should make a subforum here, for the poor "abandoned" users, then they can cry all day long under their equals there. I propose Caine123 as the moderator.
Why do some people always feel the need to insult others without a reason? This is a public forum, guys. Is it so hard to respect the view of someone else if you don't agree with him? This offensive, condescending attitude here is really beyond me

Well no hard feelings here cause some need this attention and care for their home to stay clean i guess? :) oh and sorry i respect the time invested from mods but i dont want my time consumed like this to be a mod ;)

Didnt know it is 16 years old already but an old plugin doesnt need to be bad or outdated overall does it? I like the sound and with not much competition still i could see phoscyon updated with new interest for customers.

Dont need always shiny new releases if an old plugin could get a refresh.

enCiphered wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am We should make a subforum here, for the poor "abandoned" users, then they can cry all day long under their equals there. I propose Caine123 as the moderator.
Why do some people always feel the need to insult others without a reason? This is a public forum, guys. Is it so hard to respect the view of someone else if you don't agree with him? This offensive, condescending attitude here is really beyond me
Normally, I'd say you're right. If I hadn't read a dozen of similar threads by the same person already.

I just wonder why people don't use their head a bit more often about these things. Phoscyon is 16 years old. It's a legacy plugin which hasn't been updated since 2015, and it probably doesn't sell more than a handful of licenses in a year. How likely is it that developers will spend a lot of time and effort to make the GUI fit nowadays' demands, or even develop a VST3 version of it, or update it for Apple M1? Very unlikely, if you think about it.

Well... maybe D16 surprises us all, spends all their time and effort to develop a GUI, a VST3 version, and makes it M1 native. I estimate that that will take about a year for their small staff. I'm not a developer, but, considering how long it took NI to make Massive X even Rosetta2 compatible... Mind you, a year for a 16 year old plugin, which only sells a hand ful of licenses a year. Does that sound worthwhile to you?

But, yeah, sorry for the harsh words in my former posts. It's just that I... would hope that people would give things a bit more though, and don't always see everything from their couch potatoe consumer's eyes. I guess the most of us work, and we all know that our day jobs take a lot of time, work and effort to get things done. Same with this.

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:33 am Well... maybe D16 surprises us all, spends all their time and effort to develop a GUI, a VST3 version, and makes it M1 native. I estimate that that will take about a year for their small staff. I'm not a developer, but, considering how long it took NI to make Massive X even Rosetta2 compatible... Mind you, a year for a 16 year old plugin, which only sells a hand ful of licenses a year. Does that sound worthwhile to you?
Waves do that, and get a lot of heat that they dare to charge a few $$$ for the "WUP". I´m perfectly sure that absolutely no other developers take note of the WUP wars when considering whether or not to invest time in a compatibility upgrade which they would have to charge for because they, like most people, want to ... you know... pay rent and buy food and stuff.

Not referring to the OP here, but it seems that the general consensus these days is that $29 for a plugin buys infinite/lifetime development capacity. I should try that on my staff some day: "Salary? You had that last year".

Seriously though: They surely haven´t only considered the number of licenses being sold these days, but also whether or not there would be a spike in sales (new + paid upgrades) after a cool upgrade with more effects, "devil fish"-style mods, and a fancy big GUI. I´d wager to guess they don´t expect a worthwhile spike.

I believe last year they've updated several of their older "Silver Line" FX plugins to include scaling and when I asked last week - over at Twitter - if they're gonna do the same for Repeater (developed with Slate Digital) they said yes, although no specific date was given:

https://twitter.com/antic604/status/145 ... 81763?s=20

So I'm hopeful they'll get to Phoscyon or Lush-101, too.

Phoscyon might be a legacy plugin, but it's *THE* 303 emulation, IMO better than ABL3 and it's rarely on sale, so I guess it sells well still.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am Yes, they "abandoned" it...

Unthinkable that they don't do a fancy new GUI for their 16 year old plugins, I know. Because it happens all the time with other developers.

We should make a subforum here, for the poor "abandoned" users, then they can cry all day long under their equals there. I propose Caine123 as the moderator.

Phoscyon's GUI is perfectly fine, BTW. Unless you use a 27" 4k screen, on which everything is tiny.
If they updated their plugins, including GUI, I'd actually buy from them. I'm assuming they're just kinda dead so no money from me. If they update, they may see my money.

Many people use higher resolution monitors. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it's not an issue. If a dev wants to be taken seriously and make more money, they should implement scaling options.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caine123 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 amPhoscyon is still not updated and no one can tell me the gui is workable with its tiny knobs :/
I'm pretty sure FL can scale DPI-unaware plugins, like Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase or Studio One can:

(here I'm going from 100 -> 125%, plugin has to be re-loaded hence it disappears for a moment)

Last edited by antic604 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Their plugins work as intended :shrug:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Return to “Instruments”