An Invitation to Soundpaint

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As for the prices: Troels said on Discord that this is all part of the concept:
- There will never be sales.
- The prices are very competitive from the start.
- The bundle is just to make it easier for people who want it all, and slightly rounded off for a clean number.
So you can buy or not whenever you feel like it in any combination and never feel cheated since another sale or bundle deal came along afterwards.
No Fomo.

I think I can relate to that.

Otherwise I'm a bit torn with Soundpaint so far. On one hand its quite nice and fast and sounds good, on the other hand, it's a bit too simple for my tastes.
Like it doesn't support Aftertouch ATM, has no MPE yet (although it's supposed to come next year) and some of the structure feels a bit odd to me.
Also things like you can't export your presets individually, they are all saved inside one binary file, same for the factory presets.

Also odd: all that talk about those hidden gems you get when you buy multiple libraries and ATM it looks that there are only 2-4 gems total. More to come, but still, from the videos it sounded like a lot more.

Since it's completely closed at this time with it's own format and the morphing didn't do much for me personally soundwise yet, it's more or less a rompler. The sounds are good, but I guess all the rather in-your-face pre-launch-videos and over the top language have their part in putting me off more than make me eager.

So wait and see. Since the engine is free and the prices are stable, one can just watch what will happen over time.
The plan is (Discord again) to release ~2 libraries a week.

Right now it looks to me mostly like a way to get away from NI and Kontakt for 8dio.
Which is a very valid idea and several sample providers are going that way ATM.
And Soundpaint isn't the worst such engine I've seen.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:56 pm
Right now it looks to me mostly like a way to get away from NI and Kontakt for 8dio.
Which is a very valid idea and several sample providers are going that way ATM.
Troels stated that 8dio will remain with Kontakt for their main sample library business, and that SoundPaint is a new product with its own separate name and website. However there might be some overlap as they port existing samples to the SoundPaint format.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

yeah i don't see escaping from kontakt as being a viable business option atm.
even if soundpaint was able to do everything kontakt can, it's such an industry standard at the minute, it would be difficult to pull the user base away, until kontakt and ni do something to really screw it up.

but as a different product, it can attract users by offering something new to the game.

That got my attention. Looks like modern one-stop sound station, comparable to Omnisphere? (don't own that one).
Also another competitor to Kontakt, which is dated - but constantly popular thanks to open format.

Soundpaint is somehow trapped in this closed format. On the one hand, it's very powerful as it is, I am indeed impressed by GUI, UX and performance. But then, would you drop everything else that you cannot load into Soundpaint and switch to this pricy tool?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:56 pm But then, would you drop everything else that you cannot load into Soundpaint and switch to this pricy tool?
Who says you should switch? Just another tool in the kit.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I wish they'd give out quick soundpaint conversions of their kontakt libraries to owners for free, but I'm guessing they won't because they probably want every soundpaint library to have the 127 velocity layers thing for branding reasons.

I think I'm kinda done with "must have FULL version of Kontakt" libraries.

It's just that I don't use my 8dio stuff because you have to sideload it because it's unlicensed, so I end up using the libraries that show up on my kontakt front screen instead.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:56 pmLooks like modern one-stop sound station, comparable to Omnisphere?
No. Omni is a synth, Soundpaint is a sample player.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:00 pm I wish they'd give out quick soundpaint conversions of their kontakt libraries to owners for free, but I'm guessing they won't because they probably want every soundpaint library to have the 127 velocity layers thing for branding reasons.
It will cost them money to convert and bandwidth to download so free seems unrealistic.
There will be upgrade pricing according to SP and 8Dio tended to have low upgrade pricing so it might not be too bad.
If it's 10% of what you paid it will be good, but 10% of the full price then not so much.
Although will all the freebies they have handed out over the years, some could be free! :)

But as you say, they will want to make them fully SP complaint which is where the fun might be.
Being able to create patches using 'parts' from 4 very different libraries opens up some interesting options.

Has anyone tried the free Piano in Soundpaint yet ? It's shows 7.5 gig on disk. Installation of SP was fairly easy as was the Piano download/install process.

But can anyone confirm or deny what I experienced and that is there seems something "off" about the velocity response ?

Disclaimer, this system doesn't have the greatest midi controller and I won't be installing SP on my studio system but it almost felt like the Velocity had some "randomize" applied to it. The response felt really inconsistent here almost haphazard for a lack of a better term.

If anyone else has tried it yet maybe they could chime in. The piano sound itself is not bad but I have better so I've uninstalled the whole lot but will keep an eye on future SP development.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

agharta wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:00 pm I wish they'd give out quick soundpaint conversions of their kontakt libraries to owners for free, but I'm guessing they won't because they probably want every soundpaint library to have the 127 velocity layers thing for branding reasons.
It will cost them money to convert and bandwidth to download so free seems unrealistic.
There will be upgrade pricing according to SP and 8Dio tended to have low upgrade pricing so it might not be too bad.
If it's 10% of what you paid it will be good, but 10% of the full price then not so much.
Although will all the freebies they have handed out over the years, some could be free! :)

But as you say, they will want to make them fully SP complaint which is where the fun might be.
Being able to create patches using 'parts' from 4 very different libraries opens up some interesting options.
Do it's been confirmed that they are going to make soundpaint versions of all the 8dio libraries?

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:27 pm Do it's been confirmed that they are going to make soundpaint versions of all the 8dio libraries?
No, they didn't say how many they are converting.
They did say that they have about a 100 to release, but didn't say how many are new.
They may be planning to release two per week.

After installing SP and testing the piano, I purchased ORANGE 808 UDS. I received emails confirming the purchase. The product shows as one of my instruments in my account, but with no download button. On two different computers, when I do Library Management > Check Library Purchases..., it tells me I'm up to date, with nothing available to download, and I've never been able to install or use the 808. I emailed support@soundpaint.com and info@soundpaint.com, but receive no reply. I opened a trouble ticket at zendesk, then later got an email that said nothing but my purchase is confirmed, with no acknowledgment of the problem I'd described, and no fix. I replied to the zendesk email as it instructs, cc'ing that email to support@soundpaint.com and info@soundpaint.com, but have received no reply. How long did people have to wait for a purchase to become available for download? My next step is to paste this message in every forum where Troels appears. After that, all I'm left with is waiting out the period that other people say they waited, then file a dispute and chargeback at PayPal.

agharta wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:33 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:27 pm Do it's been confirmed that they are going to make soundpaint versions of all the 8dio libraries?
No, they didn't say how many they are converting.
They did say that they have about a 100 to release, but didn't say how many are new.
They may be planning to release two per week.
So the "100 to release" and "2 per week" quotes are referencing old libraries? I'm sorry, I'm confused.

What I'm getting from you is that it's been confirmed that they will make soundpaint versions of at least SOME of their 8dio libraries, and previous owners of the kontakt versions will be offered a cross grade to the soundpaint version for a reduced cost. Is that all correct?

That's the last that I heard.
They're on Discord if you want to get info direct.
I am only stating what they have shared on VI Control, but more is on Discord which I don't use.

Jimmy34742 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:53 pm After installing SP and testing the piano, I purchased ORANGE 808 UDS. I received emails confirming the purchase. The product shows as one of my instruments in my account, but with no download button. On two different computers, when I do Library Management > Check Library Purchases..., it tells me I'm up to date, with nothing available to download, and I've never been able to install or use the 808. I emailed support@soundpaint.com and info@soundpaint.com, but receive no reply. I opened a trouble ticket at zendesk, then later got an email that said nothing but my purchase is confirmed, with no acknowledgment of the problem I'd described, and no fix. I replied to the zendesk email as it instructs, cc'ing that email to support@soundpaint.com and info@soundpaint.com, but have received no reply. How long did people have to wait for a purchase to become available for download? My next step is to paste this message in every forum where Troels appears. After that, all I'm left with is waiting out the period that other people say they waited, then file a dispute and chargeback at PayPal.
It's Sunday and I imagine they are very busy seeing that they have recently released a new platform.
Talking about PP disputes seems premature!

Return to “Instruments”