Arturia V Collection 9. Predictions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

BBFG# wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 am Synclavier got me to even consider Arturia in the first place. But it's Pigments I actually use. I'd like to see what else they do along those lines of creating their own built from the experience gained in working to perfect the old or write new emulations.
I know this is a dirty little secret. But most of the "analog" Arturia emulations just trade on nostalgia and nice-looking GUI's that evoke the original hardware instruments. Yes, some of the newer V Collection instruments sound much better than earlier models. But it was nice GUI's (as opposed to authentic sound) that built the franchise.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:44 am
BBFG# wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 am Synclavier got me to even consider Arturia in the first place. But it's Pigments I actually use. I'd like to see what else they do along those lines of creating their own built from the experience gained in working to perfect the old or write new emulations.
I know this is a dirty little secret. But most of the "analog" Arturia emulations just trade on nostalgia and nice-looking GUI's that evoke the original hardware instruments. Yes, some of the newer V Collection instruments sound much better than earlier models. But it was nice GUI's (as opposed to authentic sound) that built the franchise.
I would disagree. I don't like all the analog emulations, (I've used the Minimoog only as a place mark until I got back home to my Moog for instance), but a good portion are decent soft synths that are fun and quick to program.

If you don't buy into the idea that they're exact copies of the originals and more like send ups, then they're pretty cool.

If you want a "real" analog sound go with Diva or Repro1-5.

I suspect only a few users know what the 'authentic' sound was (and a lot probably wouldn't like it if they heard it without a ton of FX and mastering!). V Collection has some gems, some great digital synth emulations (which in my opinion are normally more interesting than analogue emulations anyway) and it's great value. Using it with laboratory is convenient and you only need to load 1 plug in to access pre-sets form almost 30 synths.

If you want real analog its super cheap to buy a hardware analog synth now (I have seen UNO's for under 100) and its great to have a real analog synths with no CPU hit in your bag of tools...definitely no real need to 'have to' emulate now if u=you care about things sounding 'real, but ITB is still very convenient and gets close enough for most people.
Last edited by SLiC on Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

machinesworking wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 am I would disagree. I don't like all the analog emulations, (I've used the Minimoog only as a place mark until I got back home to my Moog for instance), but a good portion are decent soft synths that are fun and quick to program.

If you don't buy into the idea that they're exact copies of the originals and more like send ups, then they're pretty cool.

I would say the Mini V, the Prophet V, the CS-80 V, the Modular V, and the 2600 V have been replaced by better sounding plugins from other manufacturers (mostly u-he and Synapse Audio).
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 am
machinesworking wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 am I would disagree. I don't like all the analog emulations, (I've used the Minimoog only as a place mark until I got back home to my Moog for instance), but a good portion are decent soft synths that are fun and quick to program.

I would say the Mini V, the Prophet V, the CS-80 V, the Modular V, and the 2600 V have been replaced by better sounding plugins from other manufacturers (mostly u-he and Synapse Audio).
Yeh, but your paying about 10 bucks each for these as part of the V Collection so to then but each one again individually for for 100 bucks plus each from another manufacturer may be over the top for many users...again, most users have never hard an original anyway!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am Yeh, but your paying about 10 bucks each for these as part of the V Collection so to then but each one again individually for for 100 bucks plus each from another manufacturer may be over the top for many users...again, most users have never hard an original anyway!
But that's the scam. Arturia is counting on users never having heard the original synths. Arturia lures in new users by creating almost photorealistic GUI's that mimic the original hardware synths. Then based on the GUI, newbies can claim, "Hey, I got a Yamaha CS-80 for only $10!!!" Of course, what they have is a so-so sounding virtual analog synth that has all the limitations of the original synth but without the authentic sound. It's a business model that was built on deception.
Last edited by Gadget Fiend on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

deleted duplicate post.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am But that's the scam. Arturia is counting on users never having heard the original synths. Arturia lures in new users by creating almost photorealistic GUI's that mimic the original hardware synths. Then based on the GUI, newbies can claim, "Hey, I got a Yamaha CS-80 for only $10!!!" Of course, what they have is a so-so sounding virtual analog synth that has all the limitations of the original synth but without the authentic sound. It's a business model that was built on deception.
What is a scam? Did they trumped anyone about what is there? Are there not demo versions of the synths to try before buy? Anyway, here are the reasons Arturia synths are more the worth the price:

First: They do not have "all the limitations of the original synth". Quite the opposite, they all offer WAY MORE than the originals.
Second: Even if they are not 100% faithful to the originals (which one of those do you own to say that for certain?) they are indeed very good synths on their own.
Third: Arturia is in the process of revising and updating old synths. The Jupiter-8 revised recently already showed they are more than capable of creating better sounding analog. And others will be revised also (some probably already for the next iteration of VCollection).

Even so, I would not bother if they do not revise the Mini, for example (I'm tired of Minis), and instead would work on something like the Andromeda, instead. But the CS80 and the Matrix-12, those are the ones I would like to be revised.
Fernando (FMR)

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am

Yeh, but your paying about 10 bucks each for these as part of the V Collection so to then but each one again individually for for 100 bucks plus each from another manufacturer may be over the top for many users...again, most users have never hard an original anyway!
There was a bit of psychology there: if something is marketed as a 'software version of xy hardware with xy technology inside' - with convincing images of nearly matching sound waves, one could assume that for the money it substitutes that hardware.
For years this was not the case for Arturia, because the shining interfaces covered up for sound engines which sounded as 'inspired by the hardware' - but were no real substitutes. I was not quite enthusiastic about their products before.

My opinion has changed drastically, and I bought into the V-Collection due to:
- The appearance digital emulations (DX7 V, CZ V) which are accurate 'enough'. And the improvement of their older analog emulations, and I like their sound.
- 20minute demos of all their products with a non-obtrusive system. It meant I could play with them just enough after work. The software center also works fine for me.
- They were open to the users and created the SQ80 V (thus saved me 500 euros and saved me lots of space and unwanted electronic repairs)

Their newer emulations are at a level that while users of the original can still point out the differences and points of improvements, I personally can't. Just sit down, play around and enjoy their sound.
They make steps into the right direction - now I'm engaged about their current/upcoming products.

fmr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:25 am What is a scam? Did they trumped anyone about what is there? Are there not demo versions of the synths to try before buy?
Misrepresenting the products you sell (i.e., as accurate emulations of classic hardware synths) is a scam. Arturia "trumped" people by creating accurate representations (GUIs) of the classic hardware interfaces without delivering an authentic, convincing sound. That's a "bait and switch." In other words, a scam.

Sure, people could download and test demo versions of Arturia synth emulations. But like you said, most of their potential customers had never heard the original hardware synths. So they had no frame of reference except the GUIs. They were suckered into thinking that the plugins must sound great because their interfaces looked great.

But with the release of the SEM V and subsequent plugins, Arturia emulations got a lot more accurate and authentic sounding. So the company has far fewer inauthentic plugins in its lineup today.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 am
fmr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:25 am What is a scam? Did they trumped anyone about what is there? Are there not demo versions of the synths to try before buy?
Misrepresenting the products you sell (i.e., as accurate emulations of classic hardware synths) is a scam. Arturia "trumped" people by creating accurate representations (GUIs) of the classic hardware interfaces without delivering an authentic, convincing sound. That's a "bait and switch." In other words, a scam.

Sure, people could download and test demo versions of Arturia synth emulations. But like you said, most of their potential customers had never heard the original hardware synths. So they had no frame of reference except the GUIs. They were suckered into thinking that the plugins must sound great because their interfaces looked great.
You still didn't say which originals do you have to allow you to make such categoric statements. :roll:
Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 am But with the release of the SEM V and subsequent plugins, Arturia emulations got a lot more accurate and authentic sounding. So the company has far fewer inauthentic plugins in its lineup today.
So it's just their OLDER synths that are somehow outdated. Like any other manufacturer's older synths...
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:25 am Even so, I would not bother if they do not revise the Mini, for example (I'm tired of Minis), and instead would work on something like the Andromeda, instead.
They revised the Mini's filter a few years ago. Not 100% sure when that update occured, but I believe it was sometime after 2015.

Who made a CS-80 clone besides Memorymoon (and Arturia of course) ?

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am
SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am Yeh, but your paying about 10 bucks each for these as part of the V Collection so to then but each one again individually for for 100 bucks plus each from another manufacturer may be over the top for many users...again, most users have never hard an original anyway!
But that's the scam. Arturia is counting on users never having heard the original synths. Arturia lures in new users by creating almost photorealistic GUI's that mimic the original hardware synths. Then based on the GUI, newbies can claim, "Hey, I got a Yamaha CS-80 for only $10!!!" Of course, what they have is a so-so sounding virtual analog synth that has all the limitations of the original synth but without the authentic sound. It's a business model that was built on deception.
Its hardly a scam, you can demo and listed to all of the instruments before you buy them....authenticity is the domain of synth nerds and collectors, no one else cares... it either sounds good in your track or it doesn't, nothing else matters at all.

''They were suckered into thinking that the plugins must sound great because their interfaces looked great.''

These people who you refer to, they listen with their eyes?

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 am

But with the release of the SEM V and subsequent plugins, Arturia emulations got a lot more accurate and authentic sounding. So the company has far fewer inauthentic plugins in its lineup today.
I understand your point, and see where you're coming from.
However, what people usually refer to as 'scam' is quite different. We are speaking about audio software which is constantly under R&D, not about people literally robbing you off. I'd rather put this phenomenon closer to how a deodorant advert promises stuff.

When I heard the old instruments before - I did not know the hardware then, but sort of felt they were out of place. After some years of not paying attention, I downloaded the new ones and preferred to use my analogs only as midi controllers cause of convenience.

Return to “Instruments”