Reason price hike starting October 1st

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:17 pmApart from that there are (surprisingly) other people in the company, who also have an influence on what Reason Studios are doing. https://www.reasonstudios.com/about
Damn, their exec & management board staff is bigger than whole Bitwig company :o
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm However, it was hardly representative for the future, because - for many users - that was a one-off buy and a goodbye with Reason ecosystem.

Sort of like paying for divorce lawyer ;)
Yes I thought a lot of users saw R11 as an 'exit tax' .
But then I've been seeing people saying the exact same thing about 12, now that it's high res and combinator 2 they can buy just one last version and move on.
I wonder what features R13 will bring that make it a "this is my absolute final Reason purchase ever"?

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:17 pm
jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:35 pm
jens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:33 pm I don't and they won't. But imo they direly need to change their course and for this put someone else at the helm. Somebody who understands this market.
You mean like us here?
Nope, I meant as in most other DAW companies where the CEO has at the very least some sort of music background to begin with. ;-)
I'd be damned if he hasn't.
Well, that might end badly for you. So far I haven't seen any evidence that would make me assume he has - quite to the contrary I'd say.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

f**king spam!

"Did you forget? We're giving you 40% off Maia Matrix Edition!"

Nope, you xxxxx, I did not forget, I just have zero interest in it. When I subscribed to your newsletter because I am/was using your DAW, I had no idea you'd end up stooping so low. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:50 am f**king spam!

"Did you forget? We're giving you 40% off Maia Matrix Edition!"

Nope, you xxxxx, I did not forget, I just have zero interest in it. When I subscribed to your newsletter because I am/was using your DAW, I had no idea you'd end up stooping so low. :shrug:
You can always unsubscribe.

As long as you're here, I doubt you'll miss out on any important Reason news :)
Music tech enthusiast

Yes, I guess so... quite sad nonetheless. I certainly did not at all mind receiving the occassional offer, regardless of whether it concearned me or not. But this kind of agressive spam (where they are obviously checking their database on whether a customer already took part in an ongoing sale - they sent me the original offer three days ago) is way too much for me. That's just so tacky and pathetic.

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm
festeringheap wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:59 pm From what I can gather, many Reason users except the hardcore fans bypassed R11, as it was a very lightweight offering. (Although it's likely that RS may have snagged many older users who gave up on Reason in the past and thought that the RRP was pretty cool. [whether or not that will translate into them buying 12, 13 etc is another story])
So, there may have been many bypassers of R11 who bought the R11/free R12 offering in May of this year. Leaving only those few perpetual hardcore fans to buy in September. Which included a massive price increase on a flimsy unstable lightweight version. I think it's been a slow uptake for those users, imo, and likely even the majority of the new RRP owners from last year aren't buying.
I don't think that's accurate.

11 Suite when it was released was selling like hot cakes.
Antic, I'm not sure any of us know for sure, but I didn't buy Suite, even though I had none of the REs which would have made it a killer deal.
There was no 'complete the bundle' for anyone who had a bunch of the included REs, so RS didn't snag all those people.
In addition, for a big chunk of 2021, until Reason 12 was announced (and even afterwards) Reason Suite was still heavily discounted at Jrr, Audiodeluxe etc. so looks like they had a ton of copies still for sale that they were trying to move.
antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm But even more importantly, lots of people bought 11 to access Reason Rack Plugin to either move to different DAW and take their favourite REs with them, or - while already being in other DAW for years - to access their native & 3rd party REs that were stuck in Reason they were no longer using...
With a very cheap (or free) copy of Reason 11 Lite, you could access all your REs.
If you installed Reason Lite 11.2 instead of Reason Lite 11.3 , you received a ton of Reason devices to use. R11.3 Lite update removed a shit-ton of stuff.
antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm So I wasn't surprised that in terms of sales and "users" growth the 2019/2020 was their best period ever, like the CEO was boasting over Twitter.
Yes, I do agree that the Suite deal contributed to their bottom line for sure. :)
antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm However, it was hardly representative for the future, because - for many users - that was a one-off buy and a goodbye with Reason ecosystem.

Sort of like paying for divorce lawyer ;)
Yes, it could be.
I wonder how many people are still on earlier versions though? Their lastest SDK for RE development which was released a week or so ago, is for those REs to be used in Reason 10 and higher. You'd think that if R11 was so successful, the SDK would be for R11 and up. Looks like there is money to be made still from users on Reason 10.

festeringheap wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm I wonder how many people are still on earlier versions though? Their lastest SDK for RE development which was released a week or so ago, is for those REs to be used in Reason 10 and higher. You'd think that if R11 was so successful, the SDK would be for R11 and up. Looks like there is money to be made still from users on Reason 10.
https://www.reddit.com/r/reasoners/comm ... _youre_on/
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:52 pm
festeringheap wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm I wonder how many people are still on earlier versions though? Their lastest SDK for RE development which was released a week or so ago, is for those REs to be used in Reason 10 and higher. You'd think that if R11 was so successful, the SDK would be for R11 and up. Looks like there is money to be made still from users on Reason 10.
https://www.reddit.com/r/reasoners/comm ... _youre_on/
Hmmm.. so out of 325+ votes in a Reason-centric forum, there are twice as many R11 users than there are R10 users?
Yes, it does look like there are likely many Reason 10 users out there still.
So money is to be made on REs through them. Still wonder why RS wouldn't have the latest SDK pump out R11 REs, forcing a buy to R11 (or rather 12) when an irresistible RE comes out.

Whats Reason 12 like these days?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:23 pm Whats Reason 12 like these days?
A new beta was published earlier today (after 2.5 weeks...) so we'll see.

The stable release is as broken as ever.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”