BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Thanks Oleg. :tu:

I have a FEATURE REQUEST: Please can you add the ability to import MIDI files with monophonic melodies and t0 convert them into an arpeggio pattern with identical melodic form.

This could be used for example to convert all the midi files used in UNIFY DISCOVERY for their orchestral patterns - currently played via the UNIFY MIDI player engine - into their BlueArp equivalents.

Why do this? because - like EAST WEST ORCHESTRATOR - by having all the patterns in an arpeggiator like BlueArp - one can do much more clever reharmonisation on the fly of the original melodic patterns. Something not possible when just playing midi files.

But being able to import melodic patterns from MIDI would be useful I'm sure for lots of other uses too,

dstenning wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 am I have a FEATURE REQUEST: Please can you add the ability to import MIDI files with monophonic melodies and t0 convert them into an arpeggio pattern with identical melodic form.

This could be used for example to convert all the midi files used in UNIFY DISCOVERY for their orchestral patterns - currently played via the UNIFY MIDI player engine - into their BlueArp equivalents.

Why do this? because - like EAST WEST ORCHESTRATOR - by having all the patterns in an arpeggiator like BlueArp - one can do much more clever reharmonisation on the fly of the original melodic patterns. Something not possible when just playing midi files.

But being able to import melodic patterns from MIDI would be useful I'm sure for lots of other uses too,
Unlikely to happen, too much efforts and needs lots of redesign which will conflict with the hardware design.
This feature however can be implemented in Unify MidiBox because at least it has the feature of loading Midi files already.

I have version 2.2,1 installed on Windws 10 running in Ableton Live 11. When I tried to upgrade this to the latest version I was blocked by Google Chrome from doing so with a warning that the download is malicious. Norton has also reported the site as dangerous.

None of that happens here on Chrome. Neither with the VST2 nor with the VST3 version.

Also: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url-anal ... 1636200908

Files are legit, site is legit. ;)
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rogerl_uk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 pm I have version 2.2,1 installed on Windws 10 running in Ableton Live 11. When I tried to upgrade this to the latest version I was blocked by Google Chrome from doing so with a warning that the download is malicious. Norton has also reported the site as dangerous.
Don't use chrome.

Or go back two pages on this topic and read posts regarding this issue.

I have an idea: Chrome probably took the old http site from the cache, instead of loading the new one. Try visiting the site, and press reload. Or empy the cache.

Hi, thanks fo rthe suggestion; I tried but no luck. It is not just Google, but Norton is reporting a "malicious download"! I am not sure if this is a false result or the site has been compromised in some way.

rogerl_uk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:39 pm Hi, thanks fo rthe suggestion; I tried but no luck. It is not just Google, but Norton is reporting a "malicious download"! I am not sure if this is a false result or the site has been compromised in some way.
This was something wrong with SSL certificate, now should be fixed. At least I'm not getting this error any more. Still in Chrome there was an option to download the file, but it was pretty counter-intuitive. You had open drop-down list in the bottom where the file appears and select 'keep anyway', something like this.

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:49 pm I just realized that CC message pass thru doesn't work in the VST3. When I set pitch bend messages or MIDI CC messages to pass thru in the "Settings" tab of BlueARP in the VST3, and use the pitch bend wheel, or try to control the triggered soft synth's parameter via the knobs or faders of my MIDI controller, nothing happens. It works fine in the VST2.
Can anyone confirm that?
Hardly keeping myself from cursing (not about your question, but about vst3). Sadly, it will never work in vst3 cause $teinberg deliberately disabled that in the sdk. So in the future versions I will have to grey out some settings. I believe in MIDI-FX it works fine, in vst2 as well.

Some news from my side - I got an M1 Mac and now should be able to compile BlueARP for m1 chip. I know it is easy on CPU and performance-wise it won't make any difference, but looks like you can't use x64 plugins (compiled for intel Macs) in a native M1 hosts, and vice versa. Like mixed scenarios do not work, at least I understood so.
FL Studio already has M1 Mac version, just tried it, seems to work fine. Looks just the same as on Windows.
So the question is - is there any demand for M1 Mac version of bluearp already? Cause it will require some work from my side to migrate my code to the latest Xcode version (from older Xcode 7 I'm using currently).
Another question - does anyone here still use 32-bit version on older Macs? Cause probably the next 2.3.8 release will be the last release with 32-bit support. Apple deprecated 32-bit builds long ago AFAIK, I can still build 32-bit on my older Mac (from 2015 with i5 cpu), but it is a hassle to maintain it on 2 Macs. On my new Mac, it should be possible to build so called universal binary - combined arm and intel versions (both 64 bit)

PS. On windows, I'm still supporting WinXP compatible 32-bit version. How much easier it is on windows...

graywolf2004 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 pm I believe in MIDI-FX it works fine
VST3 even if MIDI FX, it doesn't handle CC. :dog:

graywolf2004 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:49 pm I just realized that CC message pass thru doesn't work in the VST3. When I set pitch bend messages or MIDI CC messages to pass thru in the "Settings" tab of BlueARP in the VST3, and use the pitch bend wheel, or try to control the triggered soft synth's parameter via the knobs or faders of my MIDI controller, nothing happens. It works fine in the VST2.
Can anyone confirm that?
Hardly keeping myself from cursing (not about your question, but about vst3). Sadly, it will never work in vst3 cause $teinberg deliberately disabled that in the sdk. So in the future versions I will have to grey out some settings. I believe in MIDI-FX it works fine, in vst2 as well.
Ah, that's a shame. Maybe this helps though? viewtopic.php?t=538083 They talk about JUCE though, so, I don't know how helpful that is for you.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 pm ...
Ah, that's a shame. Maybe this helps though? viewtopic.php?t=538083 They talk about JUCE though, so, I don't know how helpful that is for you.
Sure, I checked that thread carefully. JUCE is another framework, I use WDL, but both can do nothing with these artificial limitations in VST3. I tried - it just doesn't pass CC to the plugin, only notes. It even doesn't pas sustain pedal CC messages! They say that the host should handle it and pass sustained notes instead (just ranting...)

phreaque wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:09 pm
graywolf2004 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 pm I believe in MIDI-FX it works fine
VST3 even if MIDI FX, it doesn't handle CC. :dog:
No, I mean AU MIDI-FX on Mac. Audio units basically don't allow MIDI output, but AU MIDI-FX is a special type of AudioUnit which does. Will test it in Logic, but I'm pretty much sure it will work.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”