Alternative to Phoenixverb for real spaces?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there is one real room I know of, MIR Pro. Before I bought it I was using the original Vienna Suite Hybrid Reverb and doing a lot of work on locating things and working hard for 'back to front' and a lot of attention to width and power panning. Which I enjoyed well enough, but MIR Pro obviates all of that work.

In a similar vein - my favourite convolution for real spaces is Inspirata. Before that I was using Reverberate - which is very very good - but for realism using convolution Inspirata is my first pick.

nightjar wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 pm
FFHKVR wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:04 pm @chk071
Again. Not planned

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... le-silicon
It is extremely likely that iZotope, as they've already done with Neoverb, will bring out another new reverb. And this new product will be offered as a successor to the EA products.

In the meantime, the EA products will keep working under Rosetta 2 with a typical lifecycle of a software product. And when the new successor is ready, an owner of an EA product will pay an upgrade price typical of what would have been the price of an upgraded EA product.

And this will likely happen by next summer.
Another possibility, judging by the chart…is that the EA plugins, in their current version, will not be updated to silicon native. I’m basing this on the fact that they have RX8 listed on the chart as “not planned” but already have RX9 listed as Q4. Perhaps there’s a paid Phoenixverb 2 update coming that will be added to the chart if/when it’s announced. I’m not just being hopeful. That’s just how I was reading it. They haven’t outright discontinued them, which is usually how they do it when they drop support for a plugin.

I know the Exponential Audio reverbs were a big hit in post-production and TV/film surround mixing.
I'd be surprised if iZotope didn't continue developing/repackaging the algorithms beyond Neoverb for the pro market, but we're talking about a VC-funded company that's no longer driven by purely tech/engineering concerns.

To the OP - Regarding Acon Verberate, be sure to check out the Legacy Hall algorithm, I much prefer it to the Vivid Hall algorithm that came new with V2. To my ears, Phoenix/Nimbus, Relab VSR24, Acon Verberate 2, and EAReckon Reverb are in the same league of "clean but not bland with a broad control range". The LiquidSonics reverbs sound fantastic, but as convolution 'verbs they either take up a lot of drive space for IRs, or have a noticeable delay synthesizing an IR (Illusion) that is distracting when auditioning presets.

Another one could be Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven, based on the Bricasti.

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:11 am
fcamp wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:38 am Denis Tihanov Orilriver, it's free, but seriously, try it, especially to replace Phoenixverb.
I’ll give it a try. Hell, it’s VST3 so it already has a leg up on a few expensive reverbs that have been mentioned. :lol:

nightjar wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 pm
FFHKVR wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:04 pm @chk071
Again. Not planned

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... le-silicon
It is extremely likely that iZotope, as they've already done with Neoverb, will bring out another new reverb. And this new product will be offered as a successor to the EA products.

In the meantime, the EA products will keep working under Rosetta 2 with a typical lifecycle of a software product. And when the new successor is ready, an owner of an EA product will pay an upgrade price typical of what would have been the price of an upgraded EA product.

And this will likely happen by next summer.
Monterey breaks all the EA plug ins. they will instantly crash any host and cannot be scanned by Logic's AU validation tool. so anyone who bought a new apple silicon macbook pro (comes w/monterey) can't use the EA plug ins anymore.

so it goes.

as for the OP's search for real spaces in a reverb.. i too like ir verbs for this. find one you like and have a go w/it.

also, flux verb and valhalla room. both can do really nice transparent ambience.

Inspirata looks pretty swell. I was looking at it a little while ago. I'd want the Immersive, don't have free space enough or the funding tho

MIR and Inspirata are like Virtual Sound Stage 2, which I have.
I have been using that for individual early reflections and Phoenixverb for the tail (ER turned off).

Unfortunately, it seems likely that Gabriel is no longer actively developing VSS and I highly doubt it will ever see VST3 or M1.

Either MIR or Inspirata would take the place of my VSS+Phoenixverb combo.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

It depends on your disk space and on how much you can spend. For realism, if you want to exclude Phoenix, I recommend Inspirata (at least, the Personal edition: advanced convolution reverb, fantastic sound, excellent spatialization, that is precise positioning in a space, but huge disk space), EaReverb (algorithmic, will not run properly on recent Macs), Liquidsonics Reverberate 3 (convolution, absolutely excellent, but without spatialization; you can add your IR to it, too, and make them sound even better), Acon Verberate (with the legacy algorithm, for very small spaces only). Dear VR Pro (with its internal "Realtime Auralization" option activated) is also a very good choice (and has very good spatialization). There used to be 2cAudio Aether, a really great realistic reverb, but regrettably it's old now and has problems (at least on the new Macs).

jancivil wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:30 pm Inspirata looks pretty swell. I was looking at it a little while ago. I'd want the Immersive, don't have free space enough or the funding tho
bad luck Jan, you just missed their one day 50% off sale. I upgraded from Personal to professional which is plenty for me. I've gone Free intro offer >Personal>Professional all when a sale or offer and it has still been expensive. But worth it

XComposer wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:29 pm It depends on your disk space and on how much you can spend. For realism, if you want to exclude Phoenix, I recommend Inspirata (at least, the Personal edition: advanced convolution reverb, fantastic sound, excellent spatialization, that is precise positioning in a space, but huge disk space), EaReverb (algorithmic, will not run properly on recent Macs), Liquidsonics Reverberate 3 (convolution, absolutely excellent, but without spatialization; you can add your IR to it, too, and make them sound even better), Acon Verberate (with the legacy algorithm, for very small spaces only). Dear VR Pro (with its internal "Realtime Auralization" option activated) is also a very good choice (and has very good spatialization). There used to be 2cAudio Aether, a really great realistic reverb, but regrettably it's old now and has problems (at least on the new Macs).
I'm selling my DearVR Pro after upgrading to Inspirata Professional - DearVR Pro is also very good and quite a different effect to Inspirata - less natural and a bit more overt spatially. Which may or may not be what one wants. Ideally I would keep both but just cannot keep doing that anymore. I'm keeping Reverberate tho as my basic flexible creative convolution engine, and the Fusion-IRs are exceptional. The OP has a lot of great choices available

Crap that 50% off sale was literally just 2 days ago. :dog:

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:29 am Crap that 50% off sale was literally just 2 days ago. :dog:
I agonised for about 12 hours before upgrading - I felt incredibly strong lasting that long :)

Hopefully they'll have another 50% off sale for Black Friday :pray:

jancivil wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:39 pm there is one real room I know of, MIR Pro.
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:06 pm for realism using convolution Inspirata is my first pick.
Inspirata and MIR really hit the mark for exactly what I'm looking for, with precise placement of multiple sources within the acoustic space.

But how are they regarding CPU?
Are these viable to use in realtime for placing individual performers/desks for a full string section?

Return to “Effects”