Vocoders - ImageLine Vocodex worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also I agree with the above recommendations for Melda MVocoder. It's extremely versatile and fun for normal (and very odd with all the wacky modulations and stuff) vocoding. Next time it goes on sale then Ovox from waves is very fun for robo-vocals and the built in synth that tracks your input pitch makes things very simple.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Wait sorry, I'm confused. So you can still buy and register Vocodex from Plugin Boutique, but the software will no longer be supported or updated by IL? I wonder if it will ever go on sale, if it goes for like $40 sometime, it would still be worth it to me.

Since I bought Vocodex, I haven't really used it, I must say. I absolutely detest the GUI. Already hated Harmor's GUI. IL's GUI work is not for me really.

MVocoder looks interesting. Tempting for the price. Not sure if I would use it much though. I hardly make use of vocoders, and, when I do, then TAL's freebie is probably enough for me.

Jkist wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:35 am Wait sorry, I'm confused. So you can still buy and register Vocodex from Plugin Boutique, but the software will no longer be supported or updated by IL? I wonder if it will ever go on sale, if it goes for like $40 sometime, it would still be worth it to me.
It appears so. I didn't buy it though was tempted. For something that' not supported by the dev, it really didn't seem like money well spent to me, though from my investigations into vocoder plugins it came up as among the best. Especially considering the price - that's the weird thing. There are 2 or 3 obvious contenders that cost at least double - $200-250 or around that price, which seemed silly to me - not worth it in any way. Yet Vocodex is a reasonable price, and the other main contender MVocoder is only $25 (through November). I was prepared to spend some cash, but turns out I didn't need to get ripped off to the tune of $250. Vocodex and MVocoder aren't cheap sounding either - in fact the reason I rated those 2 is specifically because they go up to 100 bands, which gives you real voice clarity (if that's what you want). The other expensive ones don't have even half of those bands. :?

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:52 am Since I bought Vocodex, I haven't really used it, I must say. I absolutely detest the GUI. Already hated Harmor's GUI. IL's GUI work is not for me really.

MVocoder looks interesting. Tempting for the price. Not sure if I would use it much though. I hardly make use of vocoders, and, when I do, then TAL's freebie is probably enough for me.
I can't say that MVocoder GUI is among my absolute favourites, but it's at least simple and well laid out. Not cluttered like so many of the others - e.g the Papen one has way too much stuff on one page. I often don't particularly like multiple pages - but with MVocoder I think it was the right way to go, because mainly most people just want straight vocoding - so it's there on the front. Then if you want esoteric shit - it's on other pages where you can dig deep.

I'm very happy with it - stunned actually (hard to believe it's $25), but I will likely use vocoding more. I checked out the TAL freebie and it's OK, but I found it pretty rough sounding. Useable, but not clear enough for me. I think TAL would be OK more for vocal FX type things rather than musical vocoding - I would happily mix TAL vocoder in with vocals, but not 100% on its own.

kritikon wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm I checked out the TAL freebie and it's OK, but I found it pretty rough sounding. Useable, but not clear enough for me.
Yeah, I totally understand that. Whenever I tried it, it sounded pretty rough to me as well.

How is the Izotope vocoder? Its expensive, but being Izotope, its bound to go on sale for pennies at certain times during the year...

I looked at it, but it did way more than I needed or wanted. If you want full vocal FX then it's probably great - compares well against other vocal FX plugins. It is more limited than MVocoder or Vocodex as a pure vocoder - can't remember off the top of my head how many bands - way less than 100 though. But yeah - $200 - you can probably get it cheaper than that and it obviously does more vocal FX than vocoding. It seems once you buy something off Izotope they offer discounts on most of the other stuff if you grab them. Not a bad looking GUI too - fairly concise but seems to have a lot of options easily accessed. If I had a singer I wanted to disguise because they couldn't sing, Izotope would do it... :hihi:

Bought Vocodex at JRRshop, the serial includes both the FL Studio-only version AND the VST version :)
edit: removed useless info
Last edited by meru on Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have iZotope vocoder thingie and OVox. Much prefer OVox (sound and ease of use).

Return to “Effects”