Virtual Headhpone Studio Solutions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just finished mixing down a track using CLA Nx and my new DT990 Pro's and I am extremely happy with the results. It was good before but the headphones weren't as good.

I was surprised to hear how fked up some areas were especially in the low end. Using CLA Nx with the inbuilt correction for the DT 990's, I heard it so much better.

Why do I like mixing down so much more than writing music ? lol
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

chagzuki wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:07 pm What headphones are you using? Of all the headphones correction plugins I've tried, Sonarworks is the one that stands out as just sounding wrong on Sennheiser HD 600s. I assumed with their long history the opposite would be the case, but even at 50% the correction around the 2-6Khz range sounds highly artificial... which confuses me as according to the frequency graph the alterations should be subtle. I seem to be getting on better with Realphones in that department.

I'm going to do some cross referencing to see which room sim plugin does best with not screwing up the mid/side stereoism (if that's a word), as there seem to be significant discrepancies.
I know that sonarworks is supposed to work better with some headphones than others. I suppose a good headphone would be one that requires as little correction as possible. They have some reviews on their blog or site about which headphones work good with Sonarworks.

I've been using a K-702 for the past year or so. Sonarworks boosts the bass on those massively, so the 702s are obviously naturally lacking a bit in the bass department. Before that I was using ATH-m50X for some years, which was not lacking in the bass department, compared to the AKGs.

When I check my mixes in the various Waves NX rooms, I disable Sonarworks and use the built in profile for my 702's in the Waves plugins, so I get to hear my mixes with 2 different kinds of correction applied to my headphones and between those 2, I feel that I am able to better judge my mixes. If my mix sounds ok through sonarworks and through the waves correction, then I suppose that my mix is on the right track.

In the future, I might try a more expensive headphone and see how that works with Sonarworks, but for now, what I use is serving me well, and I am still in an experimention mode with all of these new rooms and headphone correction software and I am playing around with different scenarios to see how best I can use them and to get to know what works well for me.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:38 pm Why do I like mixing down so much more than writing music ? lol
Mixing is always different per tune and thus for me very attractive :hyper: :help:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 pm Have you tried the different filter/quality settings on Sonarworks? Btw, this was the reason why I didnt go to that route, I thought the correction sounded too phasey.
I'm quite new to it, so only just got around to realising you could add custom tweaks to the EQ curve. I don't think linear/minimum phase etc. makes any difference, but dialling down one of the boosted sections of the correction curve seemed to put things into order for me... so actually this might be a better system than with Realphones. Realphones takes a different approach, also allowing for custom tuning, but of a different sort, and their target frequency response is apparently based on a different system.

As I've just discovered, with HD 600s by far the most important thing is the bass correction, which is significantly lacking, and above that the unadjusted response is very good.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

legendCNCD wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:44 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:38 pm Why do I like mixing down so much more than writing music ? lol
Mixing is always different per tune and thus for me very attractive :hyper: :help:
I find it so relaxing ! lol and I just enjoy it.

chagzuki wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:59 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 pm Have you tried the different filter/quality settings on Sonarworks? Btw, this was the reason why I didnt go to that route, I thought the correction sounded too phasey.
I don't think linear/minimum phase etc. makes any difference
For me they made a lot of difference if I remember right
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Did anyone ever try the Abbey Road or Ocean Way version of NX??

Fluid Audio teamed up with dSONIQ and made Focus

https://www.fluidaudio.com/focus.html

I see, so the headphone comes with a custom version of Realphones that you can only use with that specific headphone. Interesting.

I've been demoing Realphones for the last month and it's an excellent piece of software. Will definitely pick it up if they have some kind of BF discount.

I don't think it hurts to have a few versions tbh, I have Morphit that I use with my older AKG's to create alongside NX from Waves, then move to CLA Nx with DT990s to mixdown.

You just have to remember to disable the damn room emulation before you render, as i forgot yesterday lol

LeVzi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:43 am I don't think it hurts to have a few versions tbh, I have Morphit that I use with my older AKG's to create alongside NX from Waves, then move to CLA Nx with DT990s to mixdown.

You just have to remember to disable the damn room emulation before you render, as i forgot yesterday lol
Options are good. It would be nice to see like NX Atmos too, for those of us who can't setup several hundred speakers all over the place for the privilege of working with the real thing. :phones: :ud:

Return to “Effects”