How do you use Output Portal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't get anythin' musical out of dis. Seems the YouTube folk can't too. Is it only good for percussion? Sounds pretty shit on anything polyphonic and the presets are terrible. :dog:
Last edited by Kinh on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seems like you picked the wrong tool for your interests. Good luck.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Easy, push some buttons, then use wet/dry automation. Sometimes render them to wave on another channel to effect more etc.

Can get polyphonic sound good too, I just wouldnt keep it on all the time, but more of an effect for the sequences.. anyway, nice effectbox with easy granular.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:47 am Seems like you picked the wrong tool for your interests. Good luck.
Yeah maybe. Ain't the first time.

Tried demo once, though already have a bunch of nice granulars, compare with that Portal looks a bit simplify perhaps, but found that he pretty good in sense of rhythmic \ time signatures snapped fx sequences. It seemed to me this is its strong side. But, this advantage for almost 100 bucks (sale price), frankly, i'm still unsure that it worthly. Will think.

I think Portal’s fantastic. For melodic or harmonic sounds, it helps to note have too complex a loop going into it as most of the presets seem set up for “press a note, hear insanity.” For percussion, think of it like a vocoder or a delay feedback preset and feed it repetitive but sparse loops.

Portal is one of my favorite effects of the last year. It's easy for it to come across as simply a sound mangler, but it offers up some of the most musical results when applied properly. Instead of me trying to describe how with words, I think it would be better to listen to Simon Stockhausen's inspiring examples of presets he created specifically for Portal.

Patchpool Fractalism for Output Portal - https://www.patchpool.net/portal_fx.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxFmb0QMhU

It's the kind of effect that can work on all kinds of source material. It's easy to over do it for sure, but sometimes that's what people are after. I've been really impressed with the musical results I get with it, especially reversed, shimmering delays. I also love using it to create special robotic vocal effects using the X/Y pad to automate constant movement. I think anyone with an open mind could find a useful purpose for it.

What does ‘musical’ mean??? Like a melody? A guitar chord? Céline Dion singing? If that is what you mean, indeed you have the wrong tool, that’s not the purpose of Portal.

Portal shines especially at:

-Textures
-Stretching
-Pads and drone creation
-Experimental sounds
-Delay with a unique color
-Cutting edge sound design
-Frying your chicken

morphex wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 am Portal is one of my favorite effects of the last year. It's easy for it to come across as simply a sound mangler, but it offers up some of the most musical results when applied properly. Instead of me trying to describe how with words, I think it would be better to listen to Simon Stockhausen's inspiring examples of presets he created specifically for Portal.

Patchpool Fractalism for Output Portal - https://www.patchpool.net/portal_fx.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxFmb0QMhU
I can make these kinds of sounds too but the problem I have with it is you can't apply it to a beat or anything.

Kinh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:17 am I can make these kinds of sounds too but the problem I have with it is you can't apply it to a beat or anything.
Why? Of course you need some basic arrangement and mixing skills… As I mentioned already its about spice, not the main ingrediences…
Think drop maybe if you are a beat junky without imagination of anything without beat…

Omg. Tried again Portal (thru splice) better now. Can someone explain, why "Offset" works only when we use grains Count more than 1 ? Or rather - only for grains after voice #1 (and this is not bug, in user manual this rule mentioned too).
But why ??
So, respectively, during use Offset, we will get permanent mixing of #1 "un-offsetting" voice (which still in place), layered to #2 etc voice(s), which will be shifted in time (from #2 to #16, equally together), so it all will sounds like mess of two different stream in the same time.

And this is fine ? Or I didn’t understand something lol.
Well, just, if i see all properly, then Offset can say almost unusable here, as well the clean scan (and all related tricks) is impossible here at all. What very sad.

Another thing (not so critical perhaps but) Grain delay's (as well FX Delay's) feedback hard locked to daw transport, that not exactly cool. That however another time confirms some sync\rhytm-based direction of this thing.
I'm pass.

c_voltage wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 pm Another thing (not so critical perhaps but) Grain delay's (as well FX Delay's) feedback hard locked to daw transport, that not exactly cool. That however another time confirms some sync\rhytm-based direction of this thing.
I'm pass.
There's a sync function in the grain delay that gives you the option of have it sync to you DAW or not and use ms instead. Same in the delay fx section. (If I understand well what you mean here, not sure)

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 pm
c_voltage wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 pm Another thing (not so critical perhaps but) Grain delay's (as well FX Delay's) feedback hard locked to daw transport, that not exactly cool. That however another time confirms some sync\rhytm-based direction of this thing.
I'm pass.
There's a sync function in the grain delay that gives you the option of have it sync to you DAW or not and use ms instead. Same in the delay fx section. (If I understand well what you mean here, not sure)
Neon, no no, speech about feedback tail, which sounds only during daw playback.

Oh! Ok ok I see. I've noticed that in many other FX plugins as well, delays and reverbs in which the tail stops when the DAW transport stops. It can have its utility sometimes though, especially with ultra long tail.

Return to “Effects”