XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

XO for only $53.76 at JRR Shop with coupon code "Group". :o

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:40 pm Also, having both XO and Atlas 2 probably wouldn't make sense.
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:55 am XO for only $53.76 at JRR Shop with coupon code "Group". :o
I know, right?

I am tempted to get them both. I'm rationalizing it by telling myself how well Addictive Drums is regarded, so the thousands of samples in XO must be really good. Also, this thread seems to indicate XO has a better interface.

GAS? FOMO? Curse these first world problems! :cry:

With XO available at this price, the answer is clear - XO wins (for me). If I did not have it already, I would have already bought it. The included samples in XO are high quality indeed. It does need some feature additions (more number of sample slots, enhanced sequencer, ability to change MIDI/note numbers, MIDI Out, etc.), but I still can't neglect XO. I think I will skip on Atlas 2. There are other things grabbing my attention as I write this...

I own XO and am trialling Atlas 2.1 right now.

Current list of Pros and Cons between each off top of my head

Atlas sequencer has 16 lanes, XO has 8

The XO sequencer has a far better laid out UI including being able to set a different fourth bar pattern and a couple of FX buses
But, Atlas lets you set each lane with different lengths leading to interesting polyrhythms

I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t loaded all my sample libraries in yet, but Atlas seems more nimble to open and use than XO which seems sluggish in comparison

Not really a huge factor as I have shedloads of samples from third parties like Samples From Mars, but from the samples with the Atlas trial I think I prefer the drum sounds that come with XO.

XO groove presets and mutation options are unique, Atlas can’t do anything similar even though it has got some decent kit sound mutation options.
(Edit: actually just found Atlas does offer sequence ‘Variations’, but don’t seem to have a simple way to step through and back like XO)

A big difference is Atlas doesn’t just work with one shot drum sounds so you can grab and tag non drum samples and handle loops, not just one shots

Only installed and played with Atlas for a few hours, but those are my immediate thoughts.
A big consideration and probably why I’ll buy Atlas is it’s pretty cheap now and as it’s under pretty active development there’s an element of FOMO about where it’s going.
XO has been slow to enhance their product, but my understanding is Atlas has only now caught up with most of its feature set, though not all, and XO is definitely not as abandoned as other things I’ve bought like Accusonus Rhythmiq which showed great promise, but which never seemingly got enhanced in any way.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:14 pm XO updated from 1.2.7 to 1.3. Again, no release log. Expecting at least a couple of small additions, but no clue whatsoever. It just opens the Splash screen again on first launch if you had previously disabled it and the GUI seems a tiny bit refreshed.
I don't recall seeing sample's / pad's properties & step sequencer in Space view before? Maybe that's what they've added?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:19 pm With XO available at this price, the answer is clear - XO wins (for me). If I did not have it already, I would have already bought it. The included samples in XO are high quality indeed. It does need some feature additions (more number of sample slots, enhanced sequencer, ability to change MIDI/note numbers, MIDI Out, etc.), but I still can't neglect XO. I think I will skip on Atlas 2. There are other things grabbing my attention as I write this...
For me Atlas2 wins on 3 counts:
- you can drag & drop samples into pads
- it can actually output MIDI, so you can sequence anything with it
- it works on Linux :)

EDIT: 4! Atlas2 has an actual Undo, so you can always go back to happy accident combo you had

I think I'll get it on current sale :D
Last edited by antic604 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:14 pm XO updated from 1.2.7 to 1.3. Again, no release log. Expecting at least a couple of small additions, but no clue whatsoever. It just opens the Splash screen again on first launch if you had previously disabled it and the GUI seems a tiny bit refreshed.
I'm on Windows so no issue for me, but I guess big for some is XLN Audio added M1 and Monterey OS support across their range
https://www.xlnaudio.com/support/m1-and ... 16th-2021-

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:33 pm
I don't recall seeing sample's / pad's properties & step sequencer in Space view before? Maybe that's what they've added?
No, that was already there. :)

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:45 pm
I'm on Windows so no issue for me, but I guess big for some is XLN Audio added M1 and Monterey OS support across their range
Yeah, I just saw the same link a while ago. Guess they posted it today. Luckily, I am also on Windows.

Something tells me that they could release XO 2 in near future. They have been keeping things up to date from OS point of view, so if they are working on some new things in this last year, we should be able to see them soon. Hopefully.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm I own XO and am trialling Atlas 2.1 right now.

Current list of Pros and Cons between each off top of my head

A big consideration and probably why I’ll buy Atlas is it’s pretty cheap now and as it’s under pretty active development there’s an element of FOMO about where it’s going.
XO has been slow to enhance their product, but my understanding is Atlas has only now caught up with most of its feature set, though not all, and XO is definitely not as abandoned as other things I’ve bought like Accusonus Rhythmiq which showed great promise, but which never seemingly got enhanced in any way.
Great comparison.

I am tempted to get Atlas 2 for some of the pros you and antic604 have mentioned. The only problem is having two similar plugins of this specific type.

If only XO dropped something big this year. It would have been an easier decision.

i nearly bought XO the other day
used
but trying the demo found you can't change individual sequence lengths :0
what's that about?
would have thought that was standard these days

dave dove wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm i nearly bought XO the other day
used
what's that about?
If you want that try ATLAS 2 its currently $49! (and yes it is!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:43 pm
dave dove wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm i nearly bought XO the other day
used
what's that about?
If you want that try ATLAS 2 its currently $49! (and yes it is!)
exackly what i did...

Yep, for me it's the fact that it supports Linux. That alone makes me choose ATLAS 2. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:45 pm I'm on Windows so no issue for me, but I guess big for some is XLN Audio added M1 and Monterey OS support across their range
XO has supported M1 for a while now, good to know they got the rest of the line up going.

I'm going to pick up Atlas 2, the developer is super responsive, and according to him M1 support is just around the corner. I'm fickle, it's a huge plus to me that Atlas can make kits of any size, so the Launchpad, Beatstep Pro and Akai 4x4 configurations here are all supported. At $50 it's a no brainer to get Atlas and see which one I think is a better fit for me.

Return to “Instruments”