Questions for Nexus 3 owners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Out of curiosity, I have a few questions for Nexus 3 owners, especially for those who only have the starter version (no expansions).

1. Is the factory content only good for (aimed at) EDM/trance/dubstep/etc.?
2. Are there any free expansions included with the standard version apart from the factory content? Perhaps previous Christmas giveaways, legacy or something. If so, could anyone please list them?
3. Are there still any issues with activation/cloud app failing intermittently? I remember reading about some issues with it when Nexus 3 was launched. Hope it is stable now.

Last year I bough version with 10 latest packs, following is the list of packs marked as free on my account.
  • Advent 2017
  • Advent 2018
  • Chiptunes
  • Christmas
  • Christmas 2013
  • Christmas 2014
  • Christmas 2015
  • Christmas 2016
  • Christmas 2017
  • Christmas 2018
  • Crank
  • Crank 2
  • Dance 2
  • Digital Legends
  • Factory Presets
  • Halloween
  • Minimal House
  • Minimal House 2
  • More Cowbell
  • Pepetual Motion
  • Psytrance
  • Required Content N3
  • ROM Extension
  • ROM Extension 2
  • SID
  • Summer Deep Chill
  • Synthetic Textures
  • TV Movie Game
I haven't had any problems with activation. When I didn't use it long enough, next time I decided to launch it plugin asked to refresh the license by running reFX Cloud. That's all I needed to do.

Thank you, DanielPL. Great to know there are no activation problems. It does say a brief connection is needed once in 30 days, but that's fine for me.

I assume two things: you bought Nexus 3 new from their shop and these are additional/bonus expansions on top of what you purchased (Nexus 3 + 10 latest). Am I correct?

I wonder if at least these free expansions will be included if I buy a used copy of Nexus 3 (Starter) from someone.

I no longer 'have' Nexus 3 but I have a good friend who produces reggae and dancehall and this is his go to synth.
And another one who does the same and I know it at least use to be his go to as well, not sure about now.
rsp
sound sculptist

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:47 pm I assume two things: you bought Nexus 3 new from their shop and these are additional/bonus expansions on top of what you purchased (Nexus 3 + 10 latest). Am I correct?

I wonder if at least these free expansions will be included if I buy a used copy of Nexus 3 (Starter) from someone.
Indeed, I bought it from their shop and these are nice addition to what I bought in the 10 license package.
I believe every Nexus user gets those free expansions, so most probably yes - used copy should also include them. During license transfer you can ask their support, they should clarify that for you.

zvenx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:50 pm I no longer 'have' Nexus 3 but I have a good friend who produces reggae and dancehall and this is his go to synth.
And another one who does the same and I know it at least use to be his go to as well, not sure about now.
rsp
Thanks. I am thinking if the starter factory content is still worth it on its own or does it rely mainly on the expansions. Of course it depends on how we use it but considering how popular Nexus 3 is factory content might be a bit dated, isn't it?

I did check a couple of videos demonstrating factory content and it sounds great although the demos showed more of the EDM side of it.

DanielPL wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:02 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:47 pm I assume two things: you bought Nexus 3 new from their shop and these are additional/bonus expansions on top of what you purchased (Nexus 3 + 10 latest). Am I correct?

Indeed, I bought it from their shop and these are nice addition to what I bought in the 10 license package.
I believe every Nexus user gets those free expansions, so most probably yes - used copy should also include them. During license transfer you can ask their support, they should clarify that for you.
Thanks again. Yeah, does look like a good list of free expansions. If it (starter) goes on sale for $149 I might consider buying new.

Yes, now thinking about it again I think that should be the case since license transfer of Nexus includes any expansions, as I recall reading about this in the past. Would be still good to clarify if I buying a used copy though.

Seems like most of what you get is from Nexus 1 days, so it's pretty dated, still in my personal limited opinion based on my own personal experience, it's worth it for few patches alone, think I once did whole thing using 2 Nexus 1 sounds, it was quick deadline, but on other hand I actually love Nexus stock pianos, that Monastery patch and few others.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:05 pm Seems like most of what you get is from Nexus 1 days, so it's pretty dated, still in my personal limited opinion based on my own personal experience, it's worth it for few patches alone, think I once did whole thing using 2 Nexus 1 sounds, it was quick deadline, but on other hand I actually love Nexus stock pianos, that Monastery patch and few others.
That's good to know, thanks for sharing your opinion. The free content is just a bonus, which is appreciated since it will definitely have some dated but still great sounds.

I hope that at least the Nexus 3 factory content is brand new. Even if 50% patches are great and usable it would be worth it.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:21 pm I hope that at least the Nexus 3 factory content is brand new. Even if 50% patches are great and usable it would be worth it.
Don't quote me on this, but as far as I understand, it's the exact same thing from Nexus 1.

That would be a shame. They just updated the software?! So factory content has been (almost) same for Nexus 1, 2 and 3?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:27 pm That would be a shame. They just updated the software?! So factory content has been (almost) same for Nexus 1, 2 and 3?
Yeah, pretty much, big thing for 3 was new licensing system/ditching dongle and re-designed GUI/browser, probably few more things I can't recall, one of them being M1 native support now, it's not much, but it's perfectly compatible with previous version. From 1 to 2 there was few enchantments that made it worth it to upgrade, accessing layers was one of the big ones.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:27 pm That would be a shame. They just updated the software?! So factory content has been (almost) same for Nexus 1, 2 and 3?
Yeah, pretty much, big thing for 3 was new licensing system/ditching dongle and re-designed GUI/browser, probably few more things I can't recall, one of them being M1 native support now, it's not much, but it's perfectly compatible with previous version. From 1 to 2 there was few enchantments that made it worth it to upgrade, accessing layers was one of the big ones.
I see. Wish they added more new factory content as well. I was just reading the changes in Nexus 3 and observed that they promised NKS support but it still hasn't got it, is it true?

[Saw this note in a video: NEXUS3 expands the factory content by more than 350 new, high-quality, hand-crafted presets. So yeah they did this courtesy.]

Do you recommend getting Nexus 3 Starter (with hopefully a bunch of free expansions mentioned above)? Hope they don't plan to drop Nexus 4 anytime soon. :hihi:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm Do you recommend getting Nexus 3 Starter (with hopefully a bunch of free expansions mentioned above)? Hope they don't plan to drop Nexus 4 anytime soon. :hihi:
They are in business of selling expansions and I doubt majority aren't interested in that after getting Nexus, factory selection is more than decent and they keep adding older expansions for free, which is their way of adding "new" factory content without actually making new content, which is kind of genius, anyone that want more will get more, that's their approach.

Nexus isn't that expensive when you are making money with it, even with all expansions, that jingle I made with 2 factory sounds paid for it, I understand that as hobbyist one look at things differently, I do now and that's why I'm not in that ecosystem, but if some miracle happened and I got back to being paid audio whore, I would get into it without blinking.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:02 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm Do you recommend getting Nexus 3 Starter (with hopefully a bunch of free expansions mentioned above)? Hope they don't plan to drop Nexus 4 anytime soon. :hihi:
They are in business of selling expansions and I doubt majority aren't interested in that after getting Nexus, factory selection is more than decent and they keep adding older expansions for free, which is their way of adding "new" factory content without actually making new content, which is kind of genius, anyone that want more will get more, that's their approach.

Nexus isn't that expensive when you are making money with it, even with all expansions, that jingle I made with 2 factory sounds paid for it, I understand that as hobbyist one look at things differently, I do now and that's why I'm not in that ecosystem, but if some miracle happened and I got back to being paid audio whore, I would get into it without blinking.
Yes, exactly what it looks like if someone just has a brief look at their website, which is why I was a bit unsure about the factory content, but good to know that it is more than decent and they add new content over time. Thanks for the info.

It is indeed not that expensive, but only if you don't think about the expansions - otherwise it can quickly get expensive. Of course if you have big projects at hand it might not seem that much. Not earning from music, at least yet, so these things matter when you want to get something just because you like and want to own it.

Return to “Instruments”