Questions for Nexus 3 owners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm It is indeed not that expensive, but only if you don't think about the expansions - otherwise it can quickly get expensive. Of course if you have big projects at hand it might not seem that much. Not earning from music, at least yet, so these things matter when you want to get something just because you like and want to own it.
Exactly.

Personally, as someone who doesn't use Kontakt, seriously dig non EDM sounds that Nexus got to offer and those in expansions, at least judging by demo's I heard and watched for most part, that would be kind of thing I would use it for again, to get all bread&butter sounds, pianos, strings, choirs and etc, than some of the EDM stuff too, I really like more deep mellow side of house, there's plenty of expansions that go in that direction, for commercial work some of those sounds are completely spot on, for others I'm more than covered with U-He stuff.

There's chance you will find great value in it, there's chance you will get disappointed, I know plenty of folks hate Nexus Grandpiano patch with satisfaction, I absolutely love it, it's one of my favorite piano patches, it's overused, it's over the top, but it bloody works 9/10 for me in the context, if I had a need for it again, that alone could justify getting Nexus again, but that's just me.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:34 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm It is indeed not that expensive, but only if you don't think about the expansions - otherwise it can quickly get expensive. Of course if you have big projects at hand it might not seem that much. Not earning from music, at least yet, so these things matter when you want to get something just because you like and want to own it.
at least judging by demo's I heard and watched for most part, that would be kind of thing I would use it for again, to get all bread&butter sounds, pianos, strings, choirs and etc, than some of the EDM stuff too, I really like more deep mellow side of house
Yes, that's exactly the reason why I am considering it. Not that I need it, but I might need such sounds in my future productions and don't want to waste time looking for options when I know Nexus 3 could fit the bill. Expansions will need to be avoided for cost reasons.
There's chance you will find great value in it, there's chance you will get disappointed,

Which is why I might go for a used license if I decide to go for it. I know it becomes NFR but at least then I would have paid less and have got to make use of it anyhow.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:58 pm Expansions will need to be avoided for cost reasons.
Doubt factory offering alone will cover majority of those sounds than, you will need to dip your toes into expansions, people spend fortune on Kontakt libraries and one need to get at least few dedicated expansion to cover that front, factory alone isn't really going to cut it, at least for me personally, I would get both Hollywood bundles for example, again to not have to use Kontakt, if you use and like Kontakt and have invested in similar libraries, maybe all that isn't necessary and whole thing will leave you quite underwhelmed.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:23 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:21 pm I hope that at least the Nexus 3 factory content is brand new. Even if 50% patches are great and usable it would be worth it.
Don't quote me on this, but as far as I understand, it's the exact same thing from Nexus 1.
Sorry to quote you on this, but it isn't - 350 new factory presets were made for the initial release of Nexus 3. They are good quality, comparable to the contemporary expansions. The original expansions were generally weaker.

I can't see a way to just show the new stuff in the browser, but the 763 factory presets in total break down as:

Arps 86
Bass 108
Brass 20
Classical 10
Drumloop 7
Drums 3
FX 18
Guitar 13
Lead 137
Organ 2
Pads 117
Plucked 37
Pads 38
Sequences 42
Strings 10
Synth 35
Trancegate 38
Vocal / Choir 27
Woodwinds 5
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Glad to be proved wrong on this!

No activation problem, Nexus 3 works perfectly well, it is still an excellent vst, a reference despite everything.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:09 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:58 pm Expansions will need to be avoided for cost reasons.
Doubt factory offering alone will cover majority of those sounds than, you will need to dip your toes into expansions, people spend fortune on Kontakt libraries and one need to get at least few dedicated expansion to cover that front, factory alone isn't really going to cut it, at least for me personally, I would get both Hollywood bundles for example, again to not have to use Kontakt, if you use and like Kontakt and have invested in similar libraries, maybe all that isn't necessary and whole thing will leave you quite underwhelmed.
Yeah, I understand your point. I may not be able to avoid them but would surely want to restrict based on need. I do have all the NI stuff except post K13 release.

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:22 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:23 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:21 pm I hope that at least the Nexus 3 factory content is brand new. Even if 50% patches are great and usable it would be worth it.
Don't quote me on this, but as far as I understand, it's the exact same thing from Nexus 1.
Sorry to quote you on this, but it isn't - 350 new factory presets were made for the initial release of Nexus 3. They are good quality, comparable to the contemporary expansions. The original expansions were generally weaker.

I can't see a way to just show the new stuff in the browser, but the 763 factory presets in total break down as:
Thanks for the list. Correct me if I am wrong, I am seeing the following for Nexus3 Starter:

2,799 sound-presets divided into 22 categories
2,238 multi-samples (~18 GB uncompressed)

Does it mean the 763 presets you say are the news ones in this 2799?

Any idea what is the total preset count of Nexus3 Starter + the free/legacy expansions?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:08 amThanks for the list. Correct me if I am wrong, I am seeing the following for Nexus3 Starter:

Any idea what is the total preset count of Nexus3 Starter + the free/legacy expansions?
Here's how I understand it:

When you buy Nexus 3 now you get factory content and 10 free expansions, all of which are older but some are still really useful. The factory content is the figure of 763, and that divides as per my earlier post. 350 of those patches were new to Nexus 3, the others go back to the earlier versions. I think.

The other approx 2,000 patches are the bundled expansions.... again, I think. That sounds like a lot, there's usually circa 120-150 presets in each expansion, give or take a bit.

I've just looked again and there are also two banks called ROM Extensions 1 and 2. I don't know if these count as factory or part of the free expansions - but I think the former. Between them there are 490 patches. So that might explain it... 1,500 free expansion patches seems more like a plausible figure.

I don't know in the history of Nexus when those ROM Extensions appeared.

The good thing with Nexus 3 is that it doesn't really matter where it call comes from. Searching for categories across different libraries used to be really fiddly, now it's trivial. It's a shame they stopped doing their Christmas expansions, which were a few freebie patches from all their recent libraries. Again, they used to be a pain to find in anger, you'd never remember what was there, but now it goes into the big melting pot and can be easily found.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:26 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:08 amThanks for the list. Correct me if I am wrong, I am seeing the following for Nexus3 Starter:

Here's how I understand it:

When you buy Nexus 3 now you get factory content and 10 free expansions, all of which are older but some are still really useful. The factory content is the figure of 763, and that divides as per my earlier post. 350 of those patches were new to Nexus 3, the others go back to the earlier versions. I think.

The other approx 2,000 patches are the bundled expansions.... again, I think. That sounds like a lot, there's usually circa 120-150 presets in each expansion, give or take a bit.

I've just looked again and there are also two banks called ROM Extensions 1 and 2. I don't know if these count as factory or part of the free expansions - but I think the former. Between them there are 490 patches. So that might explain it... 1,500 free expansion patches seems more like a plausible figure. I don't know in the history of Nexus when those ROM Extensions appeared.
Excellent, thanks a lot for the detailed clarification. It's a bit convoluted for a new customer but I understand it now. That's a decent amount of content for Starter edition.
The good thing with Nexus 3 is that it doesn't really matter where it call comes from. Searching for categories across different libraries used to be really fiddly, now it's trivial. It's a shame they stopped doing their Christmas expansions, which were a few freebie patches from all their recent libraries. Again, they used to be a pain to find in anger, you'd never remember what was there, but now it goes into the big melting pot and can be easily found.
Great to know browsing and searching is improved although for me it would be a new experience (I will admit that I did pirate Nexus 2 for a short time 10+ years ago when I got into music). Would have been indeed nice if they continued their free Christmas expansions trend.

I think the Christmas/New Year discounted price will be $199, right? Any chance for it to go down to $149? Otherwise I would probably fancy a used copy instead with the knowledge that it becomes NFR.

By the way, Nexus3 is still not NKS compatible, right?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:49 amI think the Christmas/New Year discounted price will be $199, right? Any chance for it to go down to $149? Otherwise I would probably fancy a used copy instead with the knowledge that it becomes NFR.

I'd expect $199 and 20% off expansions, but they could yet surprise us.

Don't think it's NKS, but don't use that so not sure.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:36 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:49 amI think the Christmas/New Year discounted price will be $199, right? Any chance for it to go down to $149? Otherwise I would probably fancy a used copy instead with the knowledge that it becomes NFR.

I'd expect $199 and 20% off expansions, but they could yet surprise us.

Don't think it's NKS, but don't use that so not sure.
Okay, thanks again. $149 would be a welcome surprise and very much tempting if I don't find a second hand license by then.

No worries. Probably it isn't else people would have been more vocal about it considering how popular it is now and so many companies support it.

I had some questions regarding Nexus, so created a support ticker and asked for the list of free Expansions. It's quite a lot and tallies with DanielPL's list on first page from what I can see. A total of 25 free Expansions.

Here's their reply:
Is there a list or just a total number of free expansions that are included with Nexus3 Starter edition?

Here is a list of the expansions that come with Nexus:

Dance 2
Crank
Crank 2
Halloween
TV Movie Game
Psytrance
ROM Extension
ROM Extension 2
SID
Synthetic Textures
Minimal House
Minimal House 2
More Cowbell
Perpetual Motion
Digital Legends
Chiptunes
Christmas 2013 - 2018 (6 separate XPs)
Advent 2017 - 2018 (2 separate XPs)
Summer Deep Chill

19! And that's cool they bundled those Christmas XPs. That makes sense of the 2,000 figure.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Changed this message as I made a mistake when purchasing the upgrade to nexus 4, all good now 8)
Last edited by DJJD2021 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”