XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 pm I'm not fan of randomisation! Maybe a happy accident or a nice mistake while working, but not really into the "unknown" or click the "surprise me" button ;)
Likely XO isn't for you.

The big pull of XO is that it gobbles up everything you own. In my case, I have over 80,000 samples in there (just the Battery 3 and 4 libraries - which are both different - add tens of thousands). The joy of it is that it makes it quick and stupidly fun to mix and match stuff, pulling stuff from here there and everywhere. Add in the beat designer, and its more akin to improvised cookery than a strict recipe.

That's how I see XO. It's not the place to forensically get something that's in your head. It's a place to go "something in this sort of vibe" by chucking a search term or criteria at it and then start throwing a lot of things together til you like it.

I love it.

It's amazing how fast and slick it is with 80,000 samples. All my 8 outs are mapped to individual tracks in Cubase so I can add any of my own effects very simply. It lacks for much detailed manipulation of the samples themselves, but with over 80,000 to choose from I don't feel that as much of a constraint. However if you are the type of person who must sculpt every element to be totally unique, then XO isn't the right tool.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:36 am
EnGee wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 pm I'm not fan of randomisation! Maybe a happy accident or a nice mistake while working, but not really into the "unknown" or click the "surprise me" button ;)
Likely XO isn't for you.
Why?!!

cryophonik wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:26 am To me, the power of Atlas 2 (and XO, although I like Atlas better) is how it lets me best utilize the gazillion samples I already had.
IMO, that is exactly the main point of both of these. Not "how many samples does it come with?". That's missing the point.

TheHelioSequence wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:02 am The thing I really appreciated about Atlas 2 was the randomize kit feature, but ultimately I felt it was missing tools to process and produce sounds within the plugin (compression, harmonics/distortion/bitrate, synth like filters, reverb/delay). While I would say that any individual plugins would be better in a final production, there is something about the intention of making a kit with these kind of FX that works better for me workflow wise when writing with XO (or Battery).

The thing that annoys me the most about XO is the lack of ability to randomize the entire kit and each sample. The work around for me is to pull up a preset and then limit the library to a specific sample folder... then I'll get something more unexpected. But overall I'm still really wishing for this feature and feel somewhat disappointed that it was never implemented.

Another miss is that it really seems like XO could include drums samples from any AD2 packs that you own. It would even be nice if any of the midi packs would also import into XO (even if in a somewhat simplified and quantized manner). Why not have some more integration between their product lines?

Great price on either XO or Atlas 2 right now if you've been holding out for a sale.
You can randomise sounds using the "Sample Combiner" in XO.

I must say that this has been an interesting discussion the past few pages. Very informative for people looking to buy XO or Atlas 2 (or both!) right now.

Still on the fence for Atlas 2. XO has that special sauce for me.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:11 am I must say that this has been an interesting discussion the past few pages. Very informative for people looking to buy XO or Atlas 2 (or both!) right now.

Don't be, they are both great. Get both! :)

IGNORE :lol:
Last edited by Biome_Digital on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:03 am
Likely XO isn't for you.
Why?!!
Er, the rest of the post you snipped?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:13 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:11 am I must say that this has been an interesting discussion the past few pages. Very informative for people looking to buy XO or Atlas 2 (or both!) right now.

Don't be, they are both great. Get both! :)
Can Atlas 2 be resold/transferred? If so, I can take a chance. :)

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 am I've just updated XO. It's using 60%/70% CPU, just playing a drum loop!! Something's not right here. Can anyone test?
Latest version too. Working fine for me. Windows 10, FL Studio 20.8.4.

Perhaps just a glitch? You could try closing your DAW (or even restarting your computer) and open the XLN Online Installer and see if it updates anything. Then start again.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 am
Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 am I've just updated XO. It's using 60%/70% CPU, just playing a drum loop!! Something's not right here. Can anyone test?

Perhaps just a glitch? You could try closing your DAW (or even restarting your computer) and open the XLN Online Installer and see if it updates anything. Then start again.
Wasn't XO, actually. Was Reaper's Tuner plugin using massive amounts of cpu. Removed it and problem solved! :D
Last edited by Biome_Digital on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 am
EnGee wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:03 am
Likely XO isn't for you.
Why?!!
Er, the rest of the post you snipped?
Er, the rest of your post doesn't make any sense! You are using XO in that way, so what?! You want all others to do the same?! I don't understand your logic! (if there is any!).

Biome_Digital wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:28 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 am

Wasn't XO, actually. Was Reaper's Tuner plugin using massive amounts of cpu. Removed it and problem solved! :D
Oh, good. :tu: I think we all have gone through such things at least once. :D

- More chained patterns a la elektron sequencer
- modulation with LFO on fx, sound parameters
- Probability on step
- More FX
- More randomizer stuff for patterns generation

Frankly, after some demoing XO, it seemed to me that it's most advantage stay within his own library, because i had more usable result exactly with that. Whereas trying add my folders, it was similar more to "wrong" randomness (compare to XO factory). Additionally, many of samples from user folder was not recognized, as i understand due to some lenght\size restriction in XO import system. Although i did not found any info in user manual about this nuances. Maybe someone digged this moment ?

Personally for me, would be desirable ability to somehow process not only oneshots, but loops as well, with further some AI's slicing and adding this pieces to XO library. That would be fun thing.

Return to “Instruments”