Scaler 2.5 update has a Suggest feature.

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scaler 2.5 Suggest really helps you explore chord progressions for use in RC.

In fact, I use Scaler on RC and RC with Scaler on Ableton and Reaper. Also Chordpotion, and recently Instacomposer.
Musical globalization: I use everything I have to make music.
I love Scaler. The latest update is great, with slick vintage key and guitar sounds, plus new progressions. But the really good thing to not waste time is that new function of suggesting chords or finishing filling in a progression from that suggestion. Although Scaler already had enough tools to decide how to continue such as modulations by mediants,, the circle of fifths, etc. (I keep using them, despite the new suggest tool), this new option makes life easier. The Scaler developers have taken very seriously all the suggestions that from the Scaler Forum
And certainly Scaler progressions can be perfectly used in RapidComposer to generate new things from there that RC always does very well. I also use it in the opposite direction: start from RC and continue with Scaler. What matters is having options to generate or suggest ideas to continue writing
Thank you RC Team for your continuous progress.

It's a good feature. I also use Scaler with RC and it would be great if RC could read the chord labels in the midi dragged across from Scaler as that would save RC from having to try to calculate the chords and faithfully reproduce (where possible) the same chords.

This would benefit everyone, not just Scaler users, but also whenever importing a midi file into RC that has the chord markers embedded.

Well. One way you can do some of that is to work with Scaler in Reaper. Reaper always asks when you insert a progression (from both Scaler and RapidComposer) if you want it to insert the midi markers. Then you export the final midi file, and, when importing it into RC, it arrives with the chords., Hehe
There are other more expensive DAWs, but they don't do what Reaper does

Mykyndryd_ wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:31 pm It's a good feature. I also use Scaler with RC and it would be great if RC could read the chord labels in the midi dragged across from Scaler as that would save RC from having to try to calculate the chords and faithfully reproduce (where possible) the same chords.

This would benefit everyone, not just Scaler users, but also whenever importing a midi file into RC that has the chord markers embedded.
works with EZ keys.. I can drag the chords to the master track of RC and it populates the correct chords.. so, it should work with anything..

I had not thought of it. Thanks
I made a much longer way
I made a video explaining it,
https://youtu.be/EHKoEKY3nZo
I just tested your system and it works perfectly. Thanks

Thanks Gene and JoseJuan.
It works great on simple chords but on something a bit more 'juicy', RC tries to analyse the notes and decide the chords from there. My question is, if the chord names are already embedded in the midi file, RC could just write those names to the chord track and save the effort of trying to analyse: https://youtu.be/DsPisO_vKf0

Cheers.

Mykyndryd_ wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm My question is, if the chord names are already embedded in the midi file, RC could just write those names to the chord track and save the effort of trying to analyse:
Good point, Mike. I'll implement this in the next 1-2 days.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:36 pm Good point, Mike. I'll implement this in the next 1-2 days.
That'd great. Thanks Attila.

Beta12 has the option to interpret MIDI markers as chords (default=ON, in Settings / Miscellaneous / MIDI Import).
Please let me know if you find an issue.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:13 pm Beta12 has the option to interpret MIDI markers as chords (default=ON, in Settings / Miscellaneous / MIDI Import).
Please let me know if you find an issue.

Thanks,
Attila
Hi Attila. I didn't get any success with this so far with more complex chords.
Please see attached midi file. The chord markers are:
Gb maj13, Eb min6 11, E maj13, Eb min7, etc

When importing into RC, the chords are shown as F#, D#, E, D# etc (correct chord roots but no extensions).

It looks like the space in the chord label is causing RC to truncate the chord name and ignore the extensions.

Cheers.
Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Mike,

you are right, thanks for the file! I could fix this easily, but now I am trying to add missing chord definitions, because "Eb min6 11" is not a standard notation. RC recognizes Ebmin6add11 or Ebmin6/11 or Ebmin6(add11) or Ebm6add11 or Ebm6/11 or Ebm6(add11)...
I'll upload a fixed version hopefully in the next hour...

Thanks,
Attila

Thanks Attila. Hope it hasn't caused you extra work.
Cheers.
Mike.

Hi Mike,

the update is available now (beta13). Please let me know if you find a chord name that is not interpreted properly. It is easier if I fix it, but anyone can add or modify chord definitions.

Cheers!
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 pm Hi Mike,

the update is available now (beta13). Please let me know if you find a chord name that is not interpreted properly. It is easier if I fix it, but anyone can add or modify chord definitions.

Cheers!
Attila
Thanks Attila, that was super quick! It still struggles with the Ebmin611 and shows C# after import
Whats the procedure for editing chord definitions.

In the example shown here (midi attached), the chord was C# 9 13 (whatever that is)
If there is a chord which is not identifed from the label, it shows as blank in the import screen. When imported into the composition, the chord cannot be edited by right clicking on the chord track.

Cheers.
Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”