Vital - Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital Vital Ascendant (Vital Content Pack)

LeVzi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:46 am Also, is there an issue with GUI scaling ? The font is so hard to read on 1080p when its enlarged.

Really blurred and does my eyes in.
I'm not getting blurry fonts at that resolution on windows 10 looks fine to me. Have you got an example screenshot? it might just be a graphics driver issue or settings maybe... or just old age :D

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:29 am
LeVzi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:46 am Also, is there an issue with GUI scaling ? The font is so hard to read on 1080p when its enlarged.

Really blurred and does my eyes in.
The fonts on it look rough for me too, sort of thin and indistinct like parts of it are faded. One of the reasons I don't use it.
Thats exactly it, especially the menu selections, they are the worst.

Is it skinnable ? I only bought the pro version yesterday.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

This is what it looks like on mine when viewed at 200%, this is on windows 10 at 1980 x 1080, there's a bit of loss when uploading the screenshot to kvr but i don't see blurry fonts on my screen. I did have problems on a work laptop with blurry /jagged fonts once and it turned out to be the nvidia driver and monitor driver combination i think.
200%.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MilksterX wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:14 pm This is what it looks like on mine when viewed at 200%, this is on windows 10 at 1980 x 1080, there's a bit of loss when uploading the screenshot to kvr but i don't see blurry fonts on my screen. I did have problems on a work laptop with blurry /jagged fonts once and it turned out to be the nvidia driver and monitor driver combination i think.
Also often Windows side scaling (125%, 150% ...) comes into the equation. I think you can tame windows scaling per-app in the executables compatibility options.

I also think, fonts are a weak spot of the software. Too thin.

Font choice is not the best one in practice. I also struggle with it sometimes in Windows, 1080p.

I finally got around to testing Vital properly, and immediately had to get the Plus license to support the excellent development work.

While it isn't quite everything I'd personally wish from a synth, it is rather amazing in comparison to many others. I'm surprised that it's available for such a low price, and that there's a free version too. That is likely to make Vital "the new Synth1" of the VST scene.

For those wondering whether Vital works on an offline computer, the version 1.08 which I tested indeed does.

If I may mention some dreams for the future:

- multisegment envelopes with assignable ADSR points (such as in NI Absynth and IL Harmor) would be useful. Using LFOs in Envelope mode already comes close, though.

- the editing window for partials and phase could be taller - perhaps resizeable? - with scrollbars and info readout showing which partial the cursor is hovering over. This would help a lot in purposeful editing of partials.

- also for partial editing window, showing octaves via background colors or grid would help

- perhaps most of all, I'd wish for per-oscillator ability to set partials in non-harmonic distribution (for example, "X partials per semitone"). This would be great for making non-harmonic / inharmonic / semiharmonic timbres, such as drums, percussion, soundscapes etc. An example of implementation would be oct/Hz switch and multipliers in PITCH section of IL Harmor.
Not sure if this is feasible in architecture of Vital, but I dare mention it anyway, because feature like this is quite rare, despite potential usefulness. If this possibility already exists somewhere in Vital, please tell :)

- freely drawable filters that work in additive/frequency domain. Probably not possible in Vital, as the signal chain does not seem to be additive throughout. But one never knows about the future...

Overall, big thanks to the developer for great work - in many aspects, Vital sets a new bar for software synths!

8 months without any updates. Some would create a new synth from scratch during that time. But here evrn bug fixes are missing. Very good that i didn't buy a Pro version.
Last edited by Dark Lights on Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Are there known bugs?

mabian wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:22 pm Are there known bugs?
Yes, check their forum. But even bug fixes aside, no minor updates with all those suggestion in the forum. That's pretty slow development.

Dark Lights wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:21 pm 8 months without any updates. Some would create a new synth from scratch during that time. But here evrn bug fixes are missing. Very good that i didn't buy a Pro version.
It’s been quiet from Matt
https://forum.vital.audio/t/it-s-been-q ... att/7951/8
lokki
Sep 19

He said on multiple occasions that he is working on a new graphic engine, which is quite a big update, so it will take some time. I reckon (as he also stated) that he will include some minor bug fixes in that new “branch” as well.

I think we all underestimate the ‘pressure’ that a dev can get into, releasing such a popular piece of software. As I understand it, Vital is basically a one man show, right?

Thousands of bug reports, feature requests, support questions, critique (but also praise!)… Make it harder to focus again and sit down to write new code.
Tytel
Sep 24

Yeah basically I realized that the biggest thing slowing development down was doing graphics/ui stuff.

As lokki mentioned I’m working on a new graphics engine. It’s a pretty large undertaking and it will mostly speed up development for me in the future because it’s a lot easier to use. As a plus it will also will let me make prettier apps and improve a bunch of general user experience stuff like window opening time, memory usage, etc.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Also, on Twitter this evening:

Matt Tytel
@matttytel
If you think Vital’s business model is weird just wait till black friday

Double Tap wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:44 am Also, on Twitter this evening:

Matt Tytel
@matttytel
If you think Vital’s business model is weird just wait till black friday
Noice! Vital is one of my favorite freebies.

Any news on an Apple Silicon native version of Vital?

zzz00m wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:07 pm
Dark Lights wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:21 pm 8 months without any updates. Some would create a new synth from scratch during that time. But here evrn bug fixes are missing. Very good that i didn't buy a Pro version.
It’s been quiet from Matt
https://forum.vital.audio/t/it-s-been-q ... att/7951/8
lokki
Sep 19

He said on multiple occasions that he is working on a new graphic engine, which is quite a big update, so it will take some time. I reckon (as he also stated) that he will include some minor bug fixes in that new “branch” as well.

I think we all underestimate the ‘pressure’ that a dev can get into, releasing such a popular piece of software. As I understand it, Vital is basically a one man show, right?

Thousands of bug reports, feature requests, support questions, critique (but also praise!)… Make it harder to focus again and sit down to write new code.
Tytel
Sep 24

Yeah basically I realized that the biggest thing slowing development down was doing graphics/ui stuff.

As lokki mentioned I’m working on a new graphics engine. It’s a pretty large undertaking and it will mostly speed up development for me in the future because it’s a lot easier to use. As a plus it will also will let me make prettier apps and improve a bunch of general user experience stuff like window opening time, memory usage, etc.
As a UI/UX designer, I can attest that a huge UI overhaul can easily be a 4-5 month task, and that’s with a UI person and a software engineer working together.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”