Reason 12 update out (12.2.2)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am If they are going to keep offering annual subscription for 99 USD they should just keep it at that price permanently.
Perhaps the Waves / Plugin Alliance / etc. pricing models actually works, i.e. they show you an obscene "normal" price but everyone know that you normally buy at -50% off, while some less savvy customers will actually pay the full price?

Personally, I've much more respect towards devs like Valhalla DSP and others who never do sales, but instead price their stuff fairly, but "business" isn't about that apparently.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yeh, if I knew Reason was always going to be 99USD a year always maybe I could live with it...who knows, but what if you go in to the 'rental' model and next years its 299!

A simple, fair and consistent pricing policy seems to be a rarity outside of a handful of companies...software companies seem to be of quarterly 50% off sales , they seem to be running out of holidays/excuses to pin their cheap offerings to...ever considered just a consistent all year round fair price!

PS- I love the new marketing from Reason- ''Save over $2000 with Reason+ and get your hands on Reason and over 75 instruments and effects.''
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:55 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am If they are going to keep offering annual subscription for 99 USD they should just keep it at that price permanently.
Perhaps the Waves / Plugin Alliance / etc. pricing models actually works, i.e. they show you an obscene "normal" price but everyone know that you normally buy at -50% off, while some less savvy customers will actually pay the full price?

Personally, I've much more respect towards devs like Valhalla DSP and others who never do sales, but instead price their stuff fairly, but "business" isn't about that apparently.
Waves used to just be horrifically expensive and they never had sales. I didn't own any waves stuff then. 20 years ago, those were the prices. They probably make way more money now.

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:03 pmYeh, if I knew Reason was always going to be 99USD a year always maybe I could live with it...who knows, but what if you go in to the 'rental' model and next years its 299!
Yes. That, combined with the pretty disastrous v12 release and roadmap fiasco don't give me a lot of confidence. Let's see in a couple of months if they deliver on their "promises". I'm willing to switch to R+ once it's substantially better than 11 Suite.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:48 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:03 pmYeh, if I knew Reason was always going to be 99USD a year always maybe I could live with it...who knows, but what if you go in to the 'rental' model and next years its 299!
Yes. That, combined with the pretty disastrous v12 release and roadmap fiasco don't give me a lot of confidence. Let's see in a couple of months if they deliver on their "promises". I'm willing to switch to R+ once it's substantially better than 11 Suite.
Same, 11 suite + free 12 upgrade and algorithm from a previous sale, there isn't really anything else I need! They are going to need to add a lot more stuff to make me think R+ is good value, it will probably take more than a year to add enough stuff (assuming I want it) but I have nothing against them offering the subscription option on principle...but if they only add one or 2 things a year it may be cheaper to just buy them!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:39 pmSame, 11 suite + free 12 upgrade and algorithm from a previous sale...
Right. I'm mad at myself for passing on that Algoritm + Friktion + PattMutt sale :(
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:59 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:39 pmSame, 11 suite + free 12 upgrade and algorithm from a previous sale...
Right. I'm mad at myself for passing on that Algoritm + Friktion + PattMutt sale :(
I am 100% sure it will be back in some form....

antic604 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:59 pm
do you have reward points? all that stuff is in the reward shop

So I'm wondering as someone kindly gave me reason 10 ,as we're speculating if the daw is dead , is why are they doing vst3 on the roadmap still then? as this isn't needed for the rack is it ? I haven't got the rack but the rack doesn't load vst does it ?
I had reason a while back but swapped it as I thought the daw was dead but maybe vst3 does give us some hope what do you think ?

( I was using Ableton live intro in between
But using reason 10 lite again made me realise what I love about it more than Ableton )

matrixo9 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:45 amSo I'm wondering as someone kindly gave me reason 10 ,as we're speculating if the daw is dead , is why are they doing vst3 on the roadmap still then? as this isn't needed for the rack is it ? I haven't got the rack but the rack doesn't load vst does it?
Because significant, but continuously shrinking portion of the user base still wants to use Reason DAW and they won't leave that money on the table.

At some point though it won't be worth their while anymore.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:43 am
matrixo9 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:45 amSo I'm wondering as someone kindly gave me reason 10 ,as we're speculating if the daw is dead , is why are they doing vst3 on the roadmap still then? as this isn't needed for the rack is it ? I haven't got the rack but the rack doesn't load vst does it?
Because significant, but continuously shrinking portion of the user base still wants to use Reason DAW and they won't leave that money on the table.

At some point though it won't be worth their while anymore.
It's mad that daw has a lot going for it ,we even see daws like renoise still going which have an even smaller user base , I'm sure someone else would pick it up as long as they didn't can it completely

Great update, looking forward to Apple M1 native support

matrixo9 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:45 am why are they doing vst3 on the roadmap still then?
That's just basic functionality, a relatively low effort way to signal to the DAW users that they're not completely forgotten. The DAW isn't dead but it's definitely on life support.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 pm Great update, looking forward to Apple M1 native support
Why? Apparently it runs just fine via Rosetta. They could've spent that dev time actually working on the DAW for you know, the remaining 99% of users... :dog:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:54 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 pm Great update, looking forward to Apple M1 native support
Why? Apparently it runs just fine via Rosetta. They could've spent that dev time actually working on the DAW for you know, the remaining 99% of users... :dog:
Afaik Rosetta 2 is intended as an interim solution to give devs longer to port their stuff to Apple Silicon.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”