Why is FL Studio so popular?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it really that popular or is just your YouTube algorithmic suggestion, your personal FL bubble? I’ve never seen a video with someone using FL studio. Which probably just means that the mighty algorithms know that i am not the target demographic.

vurt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:45 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:32 pm I think it's great that FL Studio exists. Good stuff that people have choices for any kind of workflow.

What I never understood is that FL Studio isn't the catch basin for more Synapse Orion users. Or maybe it is. How would I know. :) Rarely read about it here, so, I just figure that it's not. From the looks of it, it seems to be the obvious choice.
its not like football! you dont just pick your team based on who is winning!!! :cry:
If your favorite club doesn't let any spectators in any more (a.k.a. doesn't support current plugin formats which could become standard), you might be out of luck though.

I know a few plugins which are only available as VST3 now.

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:09 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:45 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:32 pm I think it's great that FL Studio exists. Good stuff that people have choices for any kind of workflow.

What I never understood is that FL Studio isn't the catch basin for more Synapse Orion users. Or maybe it is. How would I know. :) Rarely read about it here, so, I just figure that it's not. From the looks of it, it seems to be the obvious choice.
its not like football! you dont just pick your team based on who is winning!!! :cry:
If your favorite club doesn't let any spectators in any more (a.k.a. doesn't support current plugin formats which could become standard), you might be out of luck though.

I know a few plugins which are only available as VST3 now.
pub league is where the real football is anyway not flashy stadiums with prawn cocktail sandwiches...

:hihi:

Don't worry. FL Studio is underground too. :hihi:

fese wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 pm Is it really that popular or is just your YouTube algorithmic suggestion, your personal FL bubble? I’ve never seen a video with someone using FL studio. Which probably just means that the mighty algorithms know that i am not the target demographic.
It is probably the most popular electronic music making DAW- they have over a Million member at their forum, almost 2 million actual posts...its active....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I first tried it ages ago when it was still a sugary cereal. It was a blast to use that step sequencer and get quick results. Since then, with all the updates, it less resembles a Fruit Loop and more resembles a Frankenberry...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

wuworld wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 pm Why is FL so popular?
Why is Reaper popular or Cubase or Logic or?

Could it be people like the workflow?

Kids could use Mommy's credit card to buy any DAW. Reaper is only $60, I'm sure many Moms can swing that. Bitwig has a $99 version (on sale now 79 USD / 79 EUR) and so on.

If you really want to know then try the FL Studio demo. Like the workflow? Buy it. It's not for you? Delete it and move on.

If you're asking just out of idle curiosity then I'd suggest your time could be better spent..... :shrug:
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:24 pm I first tried it ages ago when it was still a sugary cereal. It was a blast to use that step sequencer and get quick results. Since then, with all the updates, it less resembles a Fruit Loop and more resembles a Frankenberry...
I'm afraid that'll be the fate of many DAW's (and already is for some). Nothing good will ever rise from the threats of the peeps who will switch to other DAW's if they don't get this and this and that feature that DAW XY has. And the need to justify future paid upgrades, of course.

That's why I prefer software development with a strict vision of what the software should look like, and reasonable expansion of the existing feature set. Otherwise... well... you'll end up with a Frankenberry DAW.

Actually, FL Studio has much better preconditions for that than other DAW's: They have lifetime free upgrades. Instead of paid upgrades, which have to deliver dozens of new features, which "the people want" (ugh...).

Guess they have to play the game anyway, to make people switch to their DAW, when a new version with attractive new features is being released.

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 pm Don't worry. FL Studio is underground too. :hihi:
used by wombles? :o

FREE UPDATES !!!

Beside that
-long on market
-many pro users
-cheaper than most others pattern style DAW's
-good stock effects
-very good Synths ( For me there is not much like Sakura and Harmor )
-Edison (Maybe the coolest Drag and Drop Recorder I know )

Probably its charming personality and youthful appearance :shrug:

Or, I suppose one could argue that it’s got the tools needed to create music at a cheap price, free upgrades, yada yada yada, as absurd as that seems
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

vurt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 pm Don't worry. FL Studio is underground too. :hihi:
Fraggles

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:03 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm
Fraggles
built by doozers? :o
Last edited by vurt on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GOL was a Doozer and returned back underground to his Doozer clan never to be heard from again.

that explains everything!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”