Bitwig Studio 4.1 BETA released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:02 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:23 pm Correct me if I am wrong but weren´t all these midi fx not (more or less recently) included into Ableton as M4L devices???

I think I can remember something like Bouncy Notes or something...

If so... would be pretty lame copy/paste imho...
Yeh, the inspired by nature packs included with Live 11 has bouncy balls and a lot more stuff...far more interesting than the new Bitwig offering (at face value at least), but its all a bit of fun and of very limited use to me in any form for my music (I lean towards automation rather than randomness), so somewhat moot...

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/inspired-nature/#?
On this note, does anybody know if Live has something like the dribble effect in Bitwig 4.1? Either native or 3rd party is fine.

Trancit wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:23 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:43 pm
trevormeier wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:01 pm Integrated modulation is a big plus…
Bitwig's modulation system stands apart from any other DAW in terms of power and workflow.
In general I am with you... it´s really powerful and nice built...

But in reality it turns out for me and my way of working (I am never into the really nerdy stuff like generative music etc... if someone generates here something it´s me and I am not modulated... :D ) the integrated modulation options in stuff like Unfiltered Audio, Serum, Vital, Synthmaster, etc...etc... is far more than what I would ever touch...
Sure, whether it is useful to a particular person is up to them...

In this case, the person I was responding to was asking specifically about generative elements mixed in with more regular compositional structures.

Also, the new Note FX devices are very powerful and easy to use for all sorts of manipulations of incoming midi data. Lots of stuff will be musically useful to many people like strumming chords. However, it would also be possible to make complex generative compositions starting with a single note clip.

The Note FX can also be used in deterministic ways and are not just for randomization. The Bitwig modulation system makes the Note FX devices more flexible than similar static devices.

trevormeier wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:39 pm Any users of both out there? How is Bitwig for integrating generative music with more traditional composition techniques?
This is just a simple 1 bar clip with 4 on the beat quarter notes feeding a simple polysynth sound. Using 2 of the new Note FX. It would be easy to far more complex structures and/or combine some generative stuff with some structured deterministic stuff.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/4.1beta2.mp3

DJDJ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:54 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:02 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:23 pm Correct me if I am wrong but weren´t all these midi fx not (more or less recently) included into Ableton as M4L devices???

I think I can remember something like Bouncy Notes or something...

If so... would be pretty lame copy/paste imho...
Yeh, the inspired by nature packs included with Live 11 has bouncy balls and a lot more stuff...far more interesting than the new Bitwig offering (at face value at least), but its all a bit of fun and of very limited use to me in any form for my music (I lean towards automation rather than randomness), so somewhat moot...

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/inspired-nature/#?
On this note, does anybody know if Live has something like the dribble effect in Bitwig 4.1? Either native or 3rd party is fine.
If I understood Dribble correctly, Bouncy Notes from the Inspired by Nature pack should work the same. Just drop the balls straight down (default behaviour).

Oh ok! It seems I understand now where is Bitwig heading!
I don't mind the mini games, but I thought they will improve things that really helps in the workflow and production! Better markers, better mixer tools, improving the browser and what's already there ... etc.
At least imitate and bring us the Groove pool!

No! Not for me unfortunately! Not for me!

I'm not sure I would renew my plan for this update but since mine is active I'm happy to have access to the new features. Dribble is fun and the Euclid mode in Note Repeats is also very useful; I might even delay buying a second Ornament & Crime for my rack as a result, which means more money for some other module I don't really need :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

Wow 4 kvr threads on the 4.1 release. Must be really something.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:39 am Sure, whether it is useful to a particular person is up to them...

In this case, the person I was responding to was asking specifically about generative elements mixed in with more regular compositional structures.

Sorry if it was misleading... my post was not meant against yours... :hug:

excuse me please wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:30 am Wow 4 kvr threads on the 4.1 release. Must be really something.
Think again.

Tested it out the other day - the things added are neat and make sense for what Bitwig is. Strum is really cool and well appreciated (now I don't have spit out midi from multi-note to alter the individual note timings), color palettes are a welcome addition, the chance parameter on muli-note is sweet. I could generate some cool patterns using a chain of these devices

it was mentioned by antic604 but yepp BWS4.1b1 is less depressive (so much better :) )
using BWS with 0 mid and 35 black levels (hate gray) :tu:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

dirtydenver wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:33 pm Tested it out the other day - the things added are neat and make sense for what Bitwig is. Strum is really cool and well appreciated (now I don't have spit out midi from multi-note to alter the individual note timings), color palettes are a welcome addition, the chance parameter on muli-note is sweet. I could generate some cool patterns using a chain of these devices
I used to do picks and strums by hand with the help of a fingering chart. Now, if it did all that! :pray:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Bitwig Studio 4.1 is officially released now!

@syntonica have you hada look at the new strumming/guitar features built into Scaler 2.5? I'm not sure if it's totally what you want, but might be worth looking into.

sbmongoose wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:52 pm @syntonica have you hada look at the new strumming/guitar features built into Scaler 2.5? I'm not sure if it's totally what you want, but might be worth looking into.
Scaler 2.5 is pretty capable in that regard. I downloaded a couple days ago and only briefly explored it so have not explored in any depth yet.

Bitwig's new Strum device can strum up or down and you can do some basic patterns like up - up - down. There are 4 steps and each can be set to up or down.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”