Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
2278 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:40 pm

A friendly bump for this thread and a heads up on the BF deal...

The OPS7 sounds great and it's all synth with no samples,so it feels "alive"...

I have more than enough virtual instruments these days,but the OPS7 is one that I could not resist...

I wonder if Plogue are going to deliver an FS1R clone ?

That would be killer...

In the meantime,I am going to toodle off to their shop and buy OPS7 because it is a winner :tu:
No auto tune and iLok free...

KVRist
162 posts since 5 Sep, 2011

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:47 pm

FS1R, TX81z Would be awesome :pray: but I guess David is working on the C64SID now.

KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:13 pm

I had most of those Yamaha FM synths in hardware including a TX816, a few different DX7's,some TX802's and all that jazz...

Later on,I replaced them all with three FS1R's and that was the best of the bunch for me...

It sounded great with so much attitude...

I know what those Yamaha synths sound like,so when I play the OPS7, I call tell you that it really is a DX7...

Thanks Plogue...

Pure synth with no samples...

That's that way it should be done Arturia :wink:

KVRAF
4641 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:24 pm

digitalboytn wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Pure synth with no samples...

Who says the arturia uses samples ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

fmr
KVRAF
10542 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:17 am

digitalboytn wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:13 pm
Typical fanboy :roll: The mention to samples is just a "sample" of the ignorance. Most of the synths around these days DON'T USE samples, except those that are replicas of the ones that were sample based from start.

The Arturia DX7 V beats OPS7 in basically ANY chapter. The GUI interface is MILES away, as well as functionality and features. OPS7 has a GUI coming from the eighties, and the worst preset management I ever saw in a synth. Only use I got for it is to read DX7 SysEx files...

And the developer acted like a "prima dona" in face of criticism :(
Last edited by fmr on Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRian
1232 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 am

Arturia has the upper hand for user interface, but OPS7’s sound is 100% accurate while Arturia’s is just pretty close.

That said, I already own the Arturia, and I just don’t care about circa 1987 tines enough to buy another DX7 clone.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRist
186 posts since 22 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 am

I bought OPS7 yesterday in the Black Friday sale and am very satisfied, ok the optics can still be improved a bit but otherwise it's really good.
I first wanted to buy the Arturia DX 7 but for this price I had to buy it. However, I still have one small wish for an update and that is a sensible sound browser.
And maybe the engine of the DX7 II.

KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:46 am

Oh how I love stirring up the girls on KVR...

Can you hear the drums Fernando ?

Yes....OPS7 could use a few tweaks here and there,but one thing that is not lacking is the sound and the dynamic feel of the synth...

I've owned enough DX hardware in the past to know what the real deal is like and OPS7 puts me right in the zone...

It has a small install and big possibilities and that's my sort of synth...

The Arturia GUI has a sexy photo realistic GUI, but that comes at a cost in terms of install size and memory use and I don't need the GUI to tell me I'm playing a DX7...

As soon as I played the first few notes on OPS7,it hit the spot and that's enough for me :wink:

Thanks Plogue...This one's a beauty :tu:

fmr
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:53 am

digitalboytn wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:46 am
Yes....OPS7 could use a few tweaks here and there...
A few... :lol:
digitalboytn wrote:
I've owned enough DX hardware in the past to know what the real deal is like and OPS7 puts me right in the zone...
Yeah... You were the only one. Noone else did own FM synths before (and STILL OWNS THEM). :roll:
digitalboytn wrote:
The Arturia GUI has a sexy photo realistic GUI, but that comes at a cost in terms of install size and memory use and I don't need the GUI to tell me I'm playing a DX7...
IF all you want is "playing", anything goes - even just a square window with just a preset name would fit :shrug:

This is the kind of GUI you like, right? :hihi:
2021-11-26.png

BUT some people wants more. And if you want to do something else, that's where things get twisted.

Install size and memory use?... Really? What are you running? A 486 of 1990, with a 40 MB Hard-Drive? :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fernando (FMR)

PAK
KVRian
1131 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 am

fmr wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:53 am
Install size and memory use?... Really? What are you running?
Low memory usage, and efficient code, are always welcome things to see here, regardless of available resources. They can frequently be good harbingers of other things, quality wise, too..

The GUI on OPS7 is not quite to my tastes either, but I don't think it's THAT bad. The main interface obviously paying a bit of homage to the operator layout from the upper-left panel on the DX1.

Compared to the alternatives I'd think someone would be rather ungenerous if they didn't consider this the best DX7 emulation of the bunch, ..sound wise ..at least ;)

fmr
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:52 am

PAK wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 am
Compared to the alternatives I'd think someone would be rather ungenerous if they didn't consider this the best DX7 emulation of the bunch, ..sound wise ..at least ;)
Soundwise, it is good, indeed (never said the opposite). But it's basically its own quality. The "best"?... NO, it isn't. Because the DX7V doesn't fall "that" behind, soundwise (it even has DAC alternatives, which OPS7 lacks), and has a lot more to offer "soundwise".

When I look at a synth, the least of my concerns is if it is 100% faithful to the original hardware. I prefer another kind of orientation, one that privileges functionality and features over "purity". I'm not a "purist"... never been.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRist
300 posts since 18 Jul, 2021

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:05 am

...and harbouring a grudge. don't forget harbouring a grudge.

KVRist
60 posts since 3 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:13 am

[deleted]
Last edited by nominil on Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
60 posts since 3 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:18 am

nominil wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:13 am
gaggle of hermits wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:05 am
...and harbouring a grudge. don't forget harbouring a grudge.
Yep. Gotta troll this thread for the thing he doesn’t like.

KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 am

fmr wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:53 am
digitalboytn wrote:
Yeah... You were the only one. Noone else did own FM synths before (and STILL OWNS THEM). :roll:

Install size and memory use?... Really? What are you running? A 486 of 1990, with a 40 MB Hard-Drive? :roll:
Man...you are so on the ball it's not funny...

I thought I was the only one in the world who had any DX synths and you have confirmed it...thanks for that...

Now regarding my current computer...

You were almost spot on,but your mind reading skills must be just a little on the blink...probably those Arturia GUI's are playing around with your brain...

The current computer is a 386 DX with 4 MB of RAM and a 40 MB hard disc,but I just upgraded the floppy drive to a 1.44mb dual sided wizz bang wonder and upgraded the OS to Windows 95,which is quite a big step up from DOS...

The salesman assured me that I should be right for a few years now,so I have been preparing my mind and I am ready to take on the world :wink:

Return to “Instruments”