Nexus 4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Yes this is true people act a lot like oh it is new i need to buy. I skip a lot of time versions cause of issues etc.
I consider a bit n3 or n4 cause of n2 support in future, i need to check if the elicenser issue will harm my n2 license...
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Did they fix the random sample accuracy drift? If yes, it's an instant buy for me.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:32 am There’s no upgrade price from version 2 to 4 on the website? Looks like I have to begin with the starter pack as a minimum?? Anyone confirm?
I have Nexus 2. It says in the FAQ you can upgrade from Nexus 2 or Nexus 3, but the upgrade option disappeared over night when Nexus 4 appeared.

I think this is an error. I have submitted a ticket over it. They replied saying the issue was now fixed, but I still see no upgrade option.

I expect it will be a while as Adam was working at 3.00 AM.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

No, obviously no-ones holding a gun to anyones head to force them to update, but we're all stuck on software that will now not be updated if we don't pay. Would you seriously be happy buying a synth that gets 11 months of support?

We're basically all on refx's version of waves yearly update plan now. Anyway, let's see how this plays out for the greedy fkrs.

AnX wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 am
X86 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:31 am Nexus 3 hasn't even been out very long and they're already moving on to 4 :bang: ,I just bought Nexus 3 a couple months ago, now they want to hit me up for 99 bucks again?? OMFG....

And on top of that, the two newest expansions they just released are only usable on Nexus 4, so you're forced to pay the upgrade to nexus 4 in order to use new expansions.

I'm at a loss for words.

You're not forced to buy anything...
Actually you are forced to buy the upgrade if you want the ability to purchase the two new expansions that just came out and all future expansions. They are locked behind a Nexus 4 upgrade paywall. So you get no more expansion support if you choose to not upgrade to Nexus 4

So if someone needs those new and future expansions they need to pay to upgrade first for the privilege of being able to pay again for the new expansions.

I don't think this is going to bode well for refx.
Last edited by X86 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

But you're not forced to buy the expansions...

Vote with your wallet :wink:

Caine123 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:54 am ....
I consider a bit n3 or n4 cause of n2 support in future, i need to check if the elicenser issue will harm my n2 license...
as far as I know, it only becames an issue if your elicenser dongle is broken, as you can't transfer it to a new dongle for the refx license (not sure how much of that is just an refx thing though, nexus2 only works on the elicenser that they have registered to your account, don't know any other developer who does that, for sure I can transfer my steinberg licenses to a new elicenser and they just keep working)

rsp
sound sculptist

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:32 am There’s no upgrade price from version 2 to 4 on the website? Looks like I have to begin with the starter pack as a minimum?? Anyone confirm?
Last night, out of curiosity, I signed in and it showed me an upgrade of $179 from N2.

Today it showed me no special price, $249 buy now, and when I was curious enough to see if adding it to the cart would correct to an upgrade price, I was reminded..that I was banned from making any future purchases.

(basically I have spent close to $1,000 over the years with two n2 license and expansions, which still work, but I am sure there will come a day when an OS upgrade will kill them...)

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 pm

Today it showed me no special price, $249 buy now,

rsp
Yep, this was my "deal"...yet another one for the scrap heap....since deciding to update my software after a few years working primarily in the hardware domain, I'm really starting to appreciate the reality that I am not constantly shelling out to keep my HW synths working as they are supposed to (quite a number over 30 years old). The cost of bringing all my VSTi and DAWs up to date is absolutely insane, so I am just ditching them. I am much happier with a simple workflow of using Logic with my hardware synths and a handful of selected quality plugins that don't seem to need a financial contribution each year to keep them working...I have noticed, though, that the worst offenders for wanting more cash are the producers of sampler/rompler instruments, so at least I am regaining a lot of HD space.

I was raised and started out professionally with hardware. The convenience of software is too much for me to venture back that way alas.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 pm
Last night, out of curiosity, I signed in and it showed me an upgrade of $179 from N2.

Today it showed me no special price, $249 buy now, and when I was curious enough to see if adding it to the cart would correct to an upgrade price, I was reminded..that I was banned from making any future purchases.

(basically I have spent close to $1,000 over the years with two n2 license and expansions, which still work, but I am sure there will come a day when an OS upgrade will kill them...)

rsp
I have a support ticket about it. There is a technical problem with Nexus 2 upgrades.

If you contact support they say they will send you an upgrade link.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

m-ac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:15 am No, obviously no-ones holding a gun to anyones head to force them to update, but we're all stuck on software that will now not be updated if we don't pay. Would you seriously be happy buying a synth that gets 11 months of support?

We're basically all on refx's version of waves yearly update plan now. Anyway, let's see how this plays out for the greedy fkrs.
Exactly. Those who bought Nexus 3 when it came out, surely didn't expect to have to pay another 99 Euros in a YEAR'S time, in order to be able to use new expansions. THAT is the problem. My god, the people on here saying just accept it as it is, unbelievable.

And what's even worse with Nexus 3 (and presumably 4) is that your old Nexus 2 free presets (i.e. non-REFX ones that the general public have made) don't just load in Nexus 3, it has to contact its server to 'convert' the preset (temporarily) so that it plays in Nexus 3. What happens when that server goes down, or REFX goes bust, sells to Apple, or just decides to not support old Nexus 2 free presets? (Which are among the best sounds I've ever heard from any synth, ever, by the way.)

Why would anyone buy from ReFX????? Wasnt the owner kind of a jerk? I read stories years ago users had run ins with him. I never had Nexus, but it seems that this sort of business model is off putting.

m-ac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:29 am Are they seriously trying to charge us again just 12 months after paying for the update to V3 and for what, OTT in the effects and an arp timeline overview that I've never heard a single person request? :help:

https://refx.com/nexus/
Well, IK Multimedia released Syntronik 2 MAX less than two weeks after releasing Total Studio 3.5 MAX. Upgrade price for Syntronik 2 MAX is €149 + VAT. I would say that's even worse.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 pm
m-ac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:29 am Are they seriously trying to charge us again just 12 months after paying for the update to V3 and for what, OTT in the effects and an arp timeline overview that I've never heard a single person request? :help:

https://refx.com/nexus/
Well, IK Multimedia released Syntronik 2 MAX less than two weeks after releasing Total Studio 3.5 MAX. Upgrade price for Syntronik 2 MAX is €149 + VAT. I would say that's even worse.
It's not just the timeframe, its the fact that V4 looks to be no more than a point update.

Return to “Instruments”