Acustica Audio HWMC | Howie Weinberg Mastering Console is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Diamond - HWMC – Howie Weinberg Mastering Console has been created by Acustica Audio and Studio DMI, in collaboration with Howie Weinberg, the multi-Grammy-winning mastering engineer with 200+ Gold and Platinum Records, 15 Grammys, 31 nominations, 19k credits, and 25 billion streams to his name.

The 80s saw him working with the world's biggest artists like David Bowie, The Police, Herbie Hancock, Tears for Fears and the list goes on. Until of course, he then defined the sound of Hip-Hop, working on classic records of some of the biggest names, like Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, and the Furious Five, Slick Rick, and Biz Markie.
Just as the 80s were put to bed, onwards came the 90s and upwards Howie kept going, working on seminal albums like Depeche Mode's "Violator", Nirvana's "Nevermind", Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger", Red Hot Chilli Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and U2's "Pop".

Today, Howie's mastering chain, carefully chosen over the years and Howie’s workflow are now available to you in an All-in-One plugin, HWMC – the Howie Weinberg Mastering Console.

The plugin aims to capture the flexibility of Howie's hybrid setup, distilled into the perfect, single tool, to serve enthusiasts, amateurs, professionals, and Howie himself, who wanted to incorporate it into his own daily workflow.

At a glance

HWMC - Howie Weinberg Mastering Console features six different sections:

C SECTION: A ‘Coral-style’ Mastering Tube Compressor with four different switchable compressor operating modes depending on the rectifier circuit emulations selected.

E SECTION: A 2-band stereo EQ offering ±9dB gain for both Channels (Left-Right) with a bell response derived from a ‘Scarlet-style’ Parametric Stereo Mastering EQ.

F SECTION: Includes really smooth, gentle hi and low shelf filters with a 10kHz high shelf and a 100Hz low shelf plus High-pass and Low-pass filters with a slope of 12dB/octave.

L SECTION: An ultra-transparent algorithmic Brickwall Limiter with oversampling-rate buttons (1x - 4x - 8x).

ADC: A Clipping stage that includes three different models (C1 - C2 - C3) from least to most aggressive, controllable via the Clipper knob and the oversampling-rate buttons (1x - 4x - 8x) from the sampling of different Howie's analog-to-digital converters.

DAC: A Preamp stage which includes three modes from the sampling of different digital-to-analog converters, Howie's signature sound (Dcs - Mytek - Mytek+Tape).

Presets

HWMC comes with a wide range of presets, from 70's Punk, 80's Rock to Hip Hop, EDM, and Pop music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0qRqGVThQ

Technical information

• Plug-in Format(s): VST2, VST3, AU, AAX
• System Requirements (PC Windows): Windows 10
• System Requirements (Apple macOS): OSX 10.14
• Available sample rates: 44.1 - 48 - 88.2 - 96 kHz
• CORE 17
• M1 macOS Monterey Compatible

Price and availability

Introductory price: €125 | 50% OFF until December 23, 2021 (reg. price €249).

The product is at an introductory period for the first four weeks after release or until the first official version is released. This implies that the product may receive improvements, changes, or fixes available through Aquarius Desktop updates during that time.

How to install the free 30-day trial

HWMC user's manual

HWMC web page: https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/hwmc

A tutorial on proper workflow for this would be great welcomed

Tchad Froom wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:38 pm A tutorial on proper workflow for this would be great welcomed
Absolutely. There will be one.
At the moment there is a walkthrough video by Matty Harris here: https://youtu.be/NZlMPTuoiV4

I installed the trial but have yet to work through it. Looking forward to other's opinions on this!

Acustica Community wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:43 pm
Tchad Froom wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:38 pm A tutorial on proper workflow for this would be great welcomed
At the moment there is a walkthrough video by Matty Harris here: https://youtu.be/NZlMPTuoiV4
If AA ups their game on YT demonstrators you'll sell more products. This guy is a clown barely able to spit out the parameter names let alone give any insight to what makes HWMC special. Hire Dan Worral to make a vid and you'll see what I mean. Your sales numbers will definitely increase over this wannabe "influencer". The only thing this guy influences me to do is never hire him to master anything of mine.

Tchad Froom wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:04 am
If AA ups their game on YT demonstrators you'll sell more products. This guy is a clown barely able to spit out the parameter names let alone give any insight to what makes HWMC special. Hire Dan Worral to make a vid and you'll see what I mean. Your sales numbers will definitely increase over this wannabe "influencer". The only thing this guy influences me to do is never hire him to master anything of mine.
Matty Harris isn't an influencer. He actually is a professional mixer/mastering engineer. Meaning he does this for a living, and is a professional. :tu:

wuworld wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:31 am
Tchad Froom wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:04 am
Matty Harris isn't an influencer. He actually is a professional mixer/mastering engineer. Meaning he does this for a living, and is a professional. :tu:
Yeah just like Wytse's a "professional". Just because you have a studio doesn't make you a professional. If you watch that video and think he knows what he's doing then that explains why you think he's a professional. :clap:

.. nope, this just doesn't do it for me. The clipping, limiting and everything is very difficult to operate within the tiny margins that you need to use these kinds of processes. It VERY quickly sounds grainy and bad if you are not extremely careful with this plugin.

There's quite a bit of lack of attention to details when it comes to the plugin's general usability and design.

Example: One of the common culprits, that plagues some of their other plugins, is the bizarre insistence on making completely useless compressor GR meters. When was the last time you saw anybody master a track and need 36dB of GR range? Heck, when even in mixing do you need 36dB of GR metering for a compressor? Why not instead make the range as linear and as long as the 0 to 36dB range is but instead in 0.1dB resolution.

Then there is the VU metering. It'd be a lot more useful if you could actually patch it inside the virtual chain to check the internal gain staging levels between the various processes. Another missed opportunity to make "pretty graphics" actually useful.

Then there is the Limiter and ADC section and all their confusing controls. It's pretty difficult to figure this out without reading the manual (where the order of the default processing is written wrong!), which should not be the case at all with good basic UI design.

Final nail in the coffin is that I just don't like the sound of this. As soon as the Limiter's GR meter even flickers for an instant, your transient goes flat and lifeless.. and you very quickly get grainy output of your audio if it keeps going constantly.

Sorry to be this harsh but this plugin implements quite a few negative parts of a typical Acustica Audio plugin design and it just happens to be in an area (mastering) where these are directly detrimental to the end results. It doesn't help at all that the sound of the limiting/clipping isn't all that great. Hopefully it's just some bugs in the system and this all can be improved but as it stands right now at trial version 1.0, I can't help but feel like this was a huge letdown.

EDIT: It's possible the HQ button is bugged somehow. It at least seems to mess up the routing and and goes weird internally so some of the grainy distorted sound from the clipping stage can be attributed to this most likely. I'm not beta testing for them any more so I'll just delete the trial for now and see if it's sorted out in a month or two. :)

EDIT2: Also the high-shelf in the filter section is probably bugged.

EDIT3: Low Shelf in the filter section is 100% broken when running the trial in 48kHz sample rate. Watch your speakers! The plugin outputs huge DC offset and subs.

EDIT4: Really annoying that you can not UNINSTALL this Trial easily from within Aquarius. Have to manually uninstall it and searching for all the files.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

HWMC update available in Aquarius (commercial & trial)
-GUI minor changes (routing section)
-User's manual updated
-Minor fixes

!*

Return to “Effects”