Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm we talking about musical instruments? ie a vintage violin, or piano? or are we talking about plugins that run on computers? in which case... if you prefer, say, dune 1 to dune 3, and can't run dune 1 on a new pc... keep the pc you have. problem solved.
Sure, let's keep defining things like it's 1899. :tu:

I'm done feeding you fish.

Hi Peeps... there is a Mac vs PC thread. Please post that stuff there. This is a thread about plugins that will not or are unlikely to be ported to native Apple Silicon.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:13 pm Hi Peeps... there is a Mac vs PC thread. Please post that stuff there. This is a thread about plugins that will not or are unlikely to be ported to native Apple Silicon.
agree, this endless debate does not help anybody, except it keeps you from the street (well that helps, perhaps..).

Mac/PC, get what you want, and make some music.

I know one thing and that is that I am planning to get a new Mac next year sometime and by that time, every plugin that I use and every dev had better be ready and done updating their stuff and making it Apple Silicon native.

Everybody will have had plenty of time by then, and I wont be interested in hearing any excuses. Early birds will be praised and procrastinators will be punished.

When I make the switch next year, any plugin or dev that is not yet on board will be cut off and I wont be installing their stuff onto my new Mac. I'll be doing some spring cleaning, and sometimes it's good to throw away stuff that is no longer useful.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:20 pm I know one thing and that is that I am planning to get a new Mac next year sometime and by that time, every plugin that I use and every dev had better be ready and done updating their stuff and making it Apple Silicon native.
That wouldn't be the case in my case, at all.

chk071 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:23 pm That wouldn't be the case in my case, at all.
Of course it wouldn't, we are two different people of course. I was just saying what I plan to do and what will be my course of action.

I never sell old machines, so I will still have my old Macs that will run any obsolete plugins, but I only plan to install silicon native plugins when I get my new machine. I don't want devs using Rosetta as a crutch, I want them to go full silicon native as quickly as possible.

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:25 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm You know, unlike some of you here, I'd like to be able to play some of my most beloved softsynths 20 years from now. So, I hope you're right, and it won't be that difficult to make them work by then.
BTW, that's one of the very reasons I don't consider switching to Apple at all. When they say something is over, it's over (I already owned Apple gear), and I don't like feeling that powerless.
20 years from now? good luck with that, on any platform. the key might be to keep your current computer for 20 years, and not update anything. personally, am not afraid of change, or new synths; i find that inspiring. but whatever works....
Sure. Again, good for you.
progress (not always easy, or perfect) is still, good for everyone...
FisherKing, look. We're talking about musical instruments here. That's a really personal thing, you know?

I don't care how old an instrument is, where it comes from, how was it made, is it virtual or real... If I find something special, inspiring to me, it'll always be special, and I will always care dearly for it. That's it.

I got your point, you get inspired by progress. That's fine. I'm not like you, however, and I don't understand why you keep arguing about that. Can we now move on, please?
ok lol, i promise to let it go, and feel free to respond, you're more-than welcome to the last word.

are we talking about musical instruments? ie a vintage violin, or piano? or are we talking about plugins that run on computers? in which case... if you prefer, say, dune 1 to dune 3, and can't run dune 1 on a new pc... keep the pc you have. problem solved.
Ok, thank you. I will indeed seriously consider this option (as it seems the most guaranteed one).

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:43 pm @zerocrossing:
I can run my rme firewire ff800 that came out in 2004 on my M1.
What do you want to run on new macs, SCSI?
It’s not apple’s fault some manufacturer plan obsolescence after 3 years.
How are you connecting it? Is there some sort of converter?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:58 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:33 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:25 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm You know, unlike some of you here, I'd like to be able to play some of my most beloved softsynths 20 years from now. So, I hope you're right, and it won't be that difficult to make them work by then.
BTW, that's one of the very reasons I don't consider switching to Apple at all. When they say something is over, it's over (I already owned Apple gear), and I don't like feeling that powerless.
20 years from now? good luck with that, on any platform. the key might be to keep your current computer for 20 years, and not update anything. personally, am not afraid of change, or new synths; i find that inspiring. but whatever works....
I’ve got a bunch of plugins that I purchased in the early to mid 2000s that still work on my Windows 10 box, so honestly I don’t think it’ll be a stretch to expect them to keep working a few more years.
Just out of curiosity, are they 32-bit plugins?
I'm not a tech expert, but I assume it'll be more feasible to see current 64-bit plugins working fine 20 years from now than 2000s plugins working fine these days. Overall personal computer technologies are more mature and stable these days.
Yeah, they are 32 bit. Bitwig can run them with no issues that I’ve noticed. What’s more of an issue is, do you want to run old plugins when they’ve often been surpassed by modern ones. For instance, I still use Möbius but lately I’ve been using MSuperLooper because of the vast effects processing built in.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

its not that i don't want some of the older things, it's nice if they are updated.
but things move forward, crystal is nice, but there are newer things which are also nice.
if something isn't updated, we have to move on or lament losses.
or as others have suggested, legacy rig. then you can use it as a hw synth module on your new more powerful computer, but, use the whole old computer just to run crystal, then adding fx to the audio in the recording pc :band:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 pm
its not that i don't want some of the older things, it's nice if they are updated.
but things move forward, crystal is nice, but there are newer things which are also nice.
if something isn't updated, we have to move on or lament losses.
or as others have suggested, legacy rig. then you can use it as a hw synth module on your new more powerful computer, but, use the whole old computer just to run crystal, then adding fx to the audio in the recording pc :band:
I'm actually hoping virtualisation might help me about all this in the future (and btw, I don't know what crystal is :P )

hippy's use them to center their auras.

Actually, maybe I should be clear: All the softsynths I'd like to be playing 20 years ahead are modern ones (like Massive X, or Factory), none are 32-bit.

old plug in, used as an example of something old.

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 pm Actually, maybe I should be clear: All the softsynths I'd like to be playing 20 years ahead are modern ones (like Massive X, or Factory), none are 32-bit.
but in 20 years, there might be far better options?

Return to “Instruments”