Best de-esser / plugin for 't' 'ch' 'sh' sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do it manually. Zoom into the wav file, find the culprit and bingo, done
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

olepro wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:01 am Melodyne
https://youtu.be/XoNngoqhUMg?t=205
Thank you! I was unaware that Melodyne could do this. Sounds promising.

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 am Do it manually. Zoom into the wav file, find the culprit and bingo, done
This is my usual approach. Sometimes I find that just lowering the volume doesn't fix the harshness, and reducing the volume of the offender too much begins to sound unnatural. Do you ever eq the offending part after you've isolated it?

Did you try the Hofa one?
It's easy if you know how

Lesha wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:31 pm Did you try the Hofa one?
Not yet. On my demo list. Is this your go to?

I've never used anything by Hofa, so I'm interested to try.

I still have not bought it unfortunately, but while I demoed it was great on whistling types of sibilances.

jackson881 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 am Do it manually. Zoom into the wav file, find the culprit and bingo, done
This is my usual approach. Sometimes I find that just lowering the volume doesn't fix the harshness, and reducing the volume of the offender too much begins to sound unnatural. Do you ever eq the offending part after you've isolated it?
Not separately but the vocal track is always eq'd. I normally use Waves de-esser in combination also on the main vocal buss.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

jackson881 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:03 pm
garfield78 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm sibalance v4 from https://www.toneboosters.com/
Was next on my list. Thanks!
The UI has been simplified a lot since v3, but I'm finding the de-essing works as well if not better - could do with lower freqs at the bottom of the range, but it's dead simple to use with great results, IMO.

jackson881 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 pm
It's a good option if a) there aren't too many to deal with, and b) your daw supports spectral edits (go Reaper!!)

Soothe is fine too if you tweak it a little.

Melodyne is my current choice, anything to make me listen to my voice for the least amount of time... :)

TDR Nova does a great job, too.

Izotope allow 2, not a complete solution though. Still requires reducing punch.

Weiss De-esser is the most natural sounding I’ve heard. Kind of sucks it doesn’t allow you to pull the frequency all the way down though, de-essers somehow work great on bass as well.

Spiff would be an interesting option too, I reckon. But I’ve only played with the demo a couple of times, came away impressed though.

Every other de-esser I tried sucks to me and I always end up removing it and just using fabfilter pro-mb or the Weiss if I can get away with it (latency/cpu)

Return to “Effects”