Arturia V Collection 8.2 Up - M1, Faster, Better GUIs etc

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been thinking on getting arturia v8, I don’t own anything from the arturia company yet, but I have checked their things and they sound really good imo

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:40 pm Yes, I hope they add Spark 2/3 (back) in V Collection 9. Would be a nice and much-needed departure from synths. :tu:
Spark has been deprecated for years now. I wish this wasn't the case, but one hope is that they are being cool enough to tweak the Spark 2 software enough to run well decently in Rosetta. Like I mentioned earlier that's great to me, because I've been afraid to use it knowing M1 is around the corner here. So maybe...

It's a great drum sequencer, works better than any of the other ones I've used in a DAW, it's not restricted to 4/4 etc. Really a shame they've more or less abandoned it.

TmS1 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:40 am Been thinking on getting arturia v8, I don’t own anything from the arturia company yet, but I have checked their things and they sound really good imo
Check if you can get Analog Lab Lite somehow, should be available for a few $ and will save you 100$ in the sale.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm Well I got updates to newer versions with enhanced features without having updated to the newest collection. Most notably the Synclavier update some time ago. Finally I did upgrade to get the extra instruments as well... I wonder if V7 owners get the updated versions as well. It seems a good practice to do so, as thankful customers are more likely to get over the fence to upgrades...
I'm on V6 and downloading some updates right now, there have been a couple the past few months, I can't be sure but they seem to be the latest versions. :party:

Even with the V Collection 8.2 update, vendors still get it wrong on Apple Silicon.
The Applications are Native but the pkg (installer) isn't, it still requires Rosetta 2.
I know how to extract this so I did and sure enough, Arturia Software Center is a Native Apple Silicon application but the pkg (installer application) is NOT!!

Having so much stuff in V8 and FX2 seems really cool until you have to update everything. Takes hours. Think I will uninstall the stuff I don’t use.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:40 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:19 pm I'm not so sure- they haven't really done anything with drums since Spark...you could see 2 or 3 drum machines in this package....just sayin' ;)
Yes, I hope they add Spark 2/3 (back) in V Collection 9. Would be a nice and much-needed departure from synths. :tu:
machinesworking wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:05 am Spark has been deprecated for years now. I wish this wasn't the case, but one hope is that they are being cool enough to tweak the Spark 2 software enough to run well decently in Rosetta. Like I mentioned earlier that's great to me, because I've been afraid to use it knowing M1 is around the corner here. So maybe...

It's a great drum sequencer, works better than any of the other ones I've used in a DAW, it's not restricted to 4/4 etc. Really a shame they've more or less abandoned it.
it is hasn't really been abandoned, well the last update was from 2018.... i have Spark 2, still use it, even got the old CDM, great drumcomputer, have used it a lot, a lot. last year or more less, mainly, didn't use drums, or not in that way...

that update 2018 was 'big' news, for me, for instance, it introduced some other bugs, i don't really encounter, only graphical glitches.. they are known...

indeed, not restricted to 4/4. and modelling!! modular modelling!

and opinions, differ, but i really like the sound of Spark, and also for making own Drum Sets.

i wanted to check the date and found this;

https://www.arturia.com/products/spark/resources

a new version for MAC, with the strange 'Apple M1 activation support', will mean Rosetta??
(i am not mac user, so don't know).

but i agree fully, i find that Spark still works great, well on windows..., and with the CDM, i don't mind the small GUI.

it is strange that is a bit left behind.
you can still buy it, so... and even the sparkLE controller?

i hope a M1 native will appear, and perhaps even a new version (that doesn't break my CDM....), i still fire it up for making some beats, and drums are getting back, so Spark 2 will be back...

underrated, a pity, also by Arturia..
Last edited by WasteLand on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHall1000 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:26 pm Having so much stuff in V8 and FX2 seems really cool until you have to update everything. Takes hours. Think I will uninstall the stuff I don’t use.
does depend on your system and bandwidth of course, but there is an option; in the ASC: under preferences -> advanced -> silent install and download size optimization.
yes you can't choose and/or, you get also silent install, don't know if the settings you have used the first time, are used for the silent install.

I didn’t get into the V collection until after Spark was retired, but it always sounded like an interesting instrument. It seems like the V Collection always was an odd home for it, though.

What I would really like to see Arturia do is build a spiritual successor to Spark that is a sister product to Pigments. Basically a super-versatile percussion workstation with an array of different synthesis and physical models that can go anywhere from basic 808 to mutant space timpani, maybe also with some clever onboard sequencing options.

It would also neatly round out three collections: V Collection, FX Collection, and Pigments Collection.

SHall1000 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:26 pm Having so much stuff in V8 and FX2 seems really cool until you have to update everything. Takes hours. Think I will uninstall the stuff I don’t use.
You must have slow internet or something because I have both V8 and the FX coll. and I updated everything yesterday and I didn't time it but it didn't take hours, more like minutes. Less than 30 I would say.

WasteLand wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm i wanted to check the date and found this;

a new version for MAC, with the strange 'Apple M1 activation support', will mean Rosetta??
I did a little experiment. I use Spark 2.4.0 b106 (the 2018 version) on a Mac running 10.14. I D/L’d the M1 version from the link you provided. Rather than attempting to run the installer, I opened the package in Pacifist and extracted the VST2 v2.4.1.b2022 plug-in only. I exchanged this version with the older 2018 version and launched Cubase 11.0.41.

Cubase registered it and I ran a test. It seems to work in 10.14. All the screen tabs and controls work, as does its internal sequencer and access to the sample libraries.
Spark v2.4.1 Mac.jpg
None of it feels glitchy except for one thing I bumped into: rerouting drums to separate outputs. Reassigning a drum to a separate output (and correspondingly providing one within Cubase) temporarily freezes Cubase’s metering for about 3-4 seconds while Cubase figures out what happened. Then it’s business as usual. This doen't occur in v2.4.0.

So, this new version apparently will work in older versions of the Mac OS, but there seems to be some graphics-related translation issues that eventually sort themselves out.

Other than the metering delay mentioned, operationally and sound-wise, there appears to be no operational difference between the two versions.

My opinion is don’t bother installing this version unless you have an actual M1 Mac running 10.15 or higher. I’m guessing that anyone running an M1 Mac will see the Spark update in the Software Center update, but not otherwise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:31 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm i wanted to check the date and found this;

I did a little experiment. I use Spark 2.4.0 b106 (the 2018 version) on a Mac running 10.14. I D/L’d the M1 version from the link you provided. Rather than attempting to run the installer, I opened the package in Pacifist and extracted the VST2 v2.4.1.b2022 plug-in only. I exchanged this version with the older 2018 version and launched Cubase 11.0.41.

Cubase registered it and I ran a test. It seems to work in 10.14. All the screen tabs and controls work, as does its internal sequencer and access to the sample libraries.
Spark v2.4.1 Mac.jpg

None of it feels glitchy except for one thing I bumped into: rerouting drums to separate outputs. Reassigning a drum to a separate output (and correspondingly providing one within Cubase) temporarily freezes Cubase’s metering for about 3-4 seconds while Cubase figures out what happened. Then it’s business as usual. This doen't occur in v2.4.0.

So, this new version apparently will work in older versions of the Mac OS, but there seems to be some graphics-related translation issues that eventually sort themselves out.

Other than the metering delay mentioned, operationally and sound-wise, there appears to be no operational difference between the two versions.

My opinion is don’t bother installing this version unless you have an actual M1 Mac running 10.15 or higher. I’m guessing that anyone running an M1 Mac will see the Spark update in the Software Center update, but not otherwise.
I'm not sure that extracting just the VST is a good way to instal an update? There's a chance other things changed besides just the VST plug in, and it's likely the plug in is just a shell for the Application that runs in stand alone as well. There are at the very least settings GUI wise that would be different for the M1 version that might be across the line, AU, VST and stand alone. It seems that the GUI is the major difference that needs to be addressed when it comes to M1 Apple Silicon support, so that framework would have to. be at least tweaked to get Rosetta support on an old plug in like Spark.

All in all, if you wanted to test the new version for stability on an x86 system I would go in and pull all the old versions dependencies, full install the new version, and if it has issues replace it again with the older version, which is still up on Arturia servers.

I'm getting the same here (in Logic Pro X).
I'm an "8" user and all instruments validate apart from Wurli 2. I've tried to reinstall it individually, but it doesn't install... quits/crashes before completion. (M1 MacMini, Monterey)...
I've dropped a ticket with Arturia but have yet to hear back.
Any solutions as of yet?
TV

Tony Vincent Productions / SoundShop370
www.tonyvincent.com / www.SoundShop370.com

Spark works ok for me on Big Sur (Intel)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All well and good but are they ever going to fix the CS-80V ring mod mix? We've been requesting this since version 1 but it still hasn't been fixed.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

Return to “Instruments”