Reason 12 update out (12.2.2)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 am
antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:54 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 pm Great update, looking forward to Apple M1 native support
Why? Apparently it runs just fine via Rosetta. They could've spent that dev time actually working on the DAW for you know, the remaining 99% of users... :dog:
Afaik Rosetta 2 is intended as an interim solution to give devs longer to port their stuff to Apple Silicon.
Yes, it will work for 2-3 years still. Plenty of time to work on Apple Silicon support AND the DAW at the same time. For some reason they've chosen the former, to appeal to that 1% of user base. Notice there's nothing in refreshed roadmap that only benefits the DAW - that's half of year lost.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:43 am
matrixo9 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:45 amSo I'm wondering as someone kindly gave me reason 10 ,as we're speculating if the daw is dead , is why are they doing vst3 on the roadmap still then? as this isn't needed for the rack is it ? I haven't got the rack but the rack doesn't load vst does it?
Because significant, but continuously shrinking portion of the user base still wants to use Reason DAW and they won't leave that money on the table.

At some point though it won't be worth their while anymore.
Is the regroove graphics a daw update ?
I don't know because I don't have the rack I have lite 11 but I can't be botherd to install that shit

I think there half ditching the daw because the racks a priority but hopefully there's tweaks

Question the things where u can see the midi of multiple tracks at the same time is it in ten ?
Can't remember how to do it cheers

machine_spirit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:21 am The DAW isn't dead but it's definitely on life support.
antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:43 am ... continuously shrinking portion of the user base...
I'm pretty disappointed in the Reason 12 rollout and that now there seems to be nothing for workflow in the revised roadmap, even though an early 2021 Reason Studio blog stated that Reason 12 would have workflow enhancements.
So for me there is somewhat of a lack of trust in Reason Studios now, and I'm unsure how that would translate into future purchases right now as I only upgrade every 2-3 versions anyways, but I've read that many other people are quite happy with the Mimic and updated Combi in R12.

How are you two coming to the conclusion that Reason is dying?

matrixo9 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pmIs the regroove graphics a daw update ?
I don't count any graphics update a "DAW update", so no.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:03 pm
But if it's not on the rack then it's part of the daw

festeringheap wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:19 pmHow are you two coming to the conclusion that Reason is dying?
I mean Reason the DAW. Not sure about Reason Studios and Rack Plugin. They wouldn't increase the price if it wasn't selling. But v12 cycle so far added nothing exlusively for Reason DAW, actually they even took away Inserts controls in Mixer...

Even if you look at the roadmap, the revised version doesn't mention "workflow features" anymore and while you could argue VST3 is DAW only feature, it's not really a DAW upgrade either.
Music tech enthusiast

matrixo9 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pm
Sure, but it doesn't make working easier, faster or allow you to do something you couldn't before.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:10 pm
matrixo9 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pm
Sure, but it doesn't make working easier, faster or allow you to do something you couldn't before.
They did make some daw improvements in 11
I think antic undoubtedly the rack comes first ,
But they can always sell that daw as long as they slightly update it so maybe it taken a back seat
But it will still genarate some money won't it ?
So they probably won't ditch it unless they go bust
But unfortunately the rack is where they are trying to corner the market

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:08 pm
festeringheap wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:19 pmHow are you two coming to the conclusion that Reason is dying?
I mean Reason the DAW. Not sure about Reason Studios and Rack Plugin. They wouldn't increase the price if it wasn't selling. But v12 cycle so far added nothing exlusively for Reason DAW, actually they even took away Inserts controls in Mixer...

Even if you look at the roadmap, the revised version doesn't mention "workflow features" anymore and while you could argue VST3 is DAW only feature, it's not really a DAW upgrade either.
Well, you said "continuously shrinking portion of the user base", so I was wondering how you came to that conclusion.

Nothing in your current post touched on proof that this was happening.

You just said v12 cycle added nothing to DAW. I said the same thing about workflow enhancements. But I can't say from that that there's a continuous shrinking portion of the user base because of that.

matrixo9 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:17 pmThey did make some daw improvements in 11
I said nothing about 11. That's why I'm on 11 Suite, because it's the last good version (and v12 so far adds nothing for me, and many others).
Music tech enthusiast

festeringheap wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:49 pmWell, you said "continuously shrinking portion of the user base", so I was wondering how you came to that conclusion.

Nothing in your current post touched on proof that this was happening.

You just said v12 cycle added nothing to DAW. I said the same thing about workflow enhancements. But I can't say from that that there's a continuous shrinking portion of the user base because of that.
Again, when I say "shrinking user base" Imeant Reason DAW. Lots of "old" Reason users left the DAW and moved to Live, Studio One, Bitwig, Reaper or Cubase. New (not all, but most) people who are buying it rarely use the DAW - they get it for the plugin.

Simple math would tell you that adding those 2 results in shrinking user base of those who want to use Reason DAW.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:54 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 pm Great update, looking forward to Apple M1 native support
Why? Apparently it runs just fine via Rosetta.
Not the Rack plugin. If you use a Host in native mode (non Rosetta) the plugin window acts all weird changing size back and forth like an accordion... I don't want to use Logic in Rosetta mode just for Reason Rack to behave :?

Standalone you're right. It works fine via Rosetta
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

festeringheap wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:19 pm How are you two coming to the conclusion that Reason is dying?
As far as RS is concerned, Reason means the RRP, that's clear at this point. I was talking about the DAW specifically. An endless stream of bullshit from RS combined with essentially zero attention given to the DAW since i bought it in 2019 (and absolutely nothing indicating that this is going to change) means i'm not particularly optimistic about the future of the DAW. We were told that the DAW would not be forgotten several times and instead we got little to nothing and a sad aggressive subscription system etc. It's certainly possible that this will change but to expect it would be madness.

machine_spirit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 pmwe got little to nothing and a sad aggressive subscription system etc. It's certainly possible that this will change but to expect it would be madness.
I actually like to be informed about what's new via newsletter.. but Reason Studios newsletter is so pathetically desperate to get people to subscribe.... unsubscribed...
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:27 pm
machine_spirit wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 pmwe got little to nothing and a sad aggressive subscription system etc. It's certainly possible that this will change but to expect it would be madness.
I actually like to be informed about what's new via newsletter.. but Reason Studios newsletter is so pathetically desperate to get people to subscribe.... unsubscribed...
I get informed by devs all the time about stuff. Most of the time I'm too lazy to even open up the emails and just delete them. So if Reason Studios if pushing subs, I'm not really noticing. That's me, though. And I suppose I can understand if it bothers some people who would rather get an email once a month with some company info.

But ultimately, dev emails are there to remind you of the product/company and are really a prod for you to part with your cash.

(I did open up a recent Reason Studios email though and found the title somewhat dishonest:
What if we told you you’d get ALL our 75+ rack devices for just $99.99
Technically, you will not get all 75+ rack devices for 99.99
You can subscribe during BF and get a yearly sub for 99.99 which will let you use 75+ devices for a year, but you certainly don't get them as suggested in the title. It's a nitpick, yeah).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”