Bitwig Studio 4.1 BETA released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:53 pm
sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 am
antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 am
sQeetz wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:12 pm...plugin window display issue...
What's that?
The f*g thing that the mouse pointer changes to whatever is underneath the plugin window.
It only happens when Bitwig is used fullscreen on MacOS.
If the plugin window is selected, it does not happen.
It does. Want a screen cap?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pmI bought this Mac about a year ago. That was when I reported and they acknowledged that they knew there was a problem. They just considered it to be minor and not worth the trouble and I admit it probably being, but still :help:
Considering macOS users are 30-35% of Bitwig users, I'm surprised I've not heard more about this. Are you sure it isn't isolated to specific plugin(s)? or version of macOS? Or maybe it really only happens with full screen and indeed most macOS users don't do that - I always see the ugly 'dock' at the bottom on YT videos ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:55 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:53 pm
sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 am
antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 am
sQeetz wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:12 pm...plugin window display issue...
What's that?
The f*g thing that the mouse pointer changes to whatever is underneath the plugin window.
It only happens when Bitwig is used fullscreen on MacOS.
If the plugin window is selected, it does not happen.
It does. Want a screen cap?
You're right... I only clicked the expand to fill screen and not the actual full screen mode. I've never used full screen mode so forgot how to access it!

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:00 pm
sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pmI bought this Mac about a year ago. That was when I reported and they acknowledged that they knew there was a problem. They just considered it to be minor and not worth the trouble and I admit it probably being, but still :help:
Considering macOS users are 30-35% of Bitwig users, I'm surprised I've not heard more about this. Are you sure it isn't isolated to specific plugin(s)? or version of macOS? Or maybe it really only happens with full screen and indeed most macOS users don't do that - I always see the ugly 'dock' at the bottom on YT videos ;) :D
I've never used full screen mode. (I also keep the dock hidden and on the side). On my new AS MBP, there is no size difference at all in full screen mode so really no need to use it. In regular screen mode, if you select Bitwig in the background with a plugin window open, it does the same thing when hovering over the plugin window. Select the plugin window to make it active and it doesn't.

antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:00 pmConsidering macOS users are 30-35% of Bitwig users, I'm surprised I've not heard more about this. Are you sure it isn't isolated to specific plugin(s)? or version of macOS?
It's with every plugin on every MacOS version since I got this MacBook (Big Sur to Monterey)

here is the official answer from the Bitwig team I got on May:
"Hi Thomas​,
​thanks a lot. Unfortunately It looks like currently there's not really a way to improve this due to the way the plugin hosting and window handling works between Bitwig Studio and macOS.

Best regards,
Bitwig Technical Support Team"

Or maybe it really only happens with full screen and indeed most macOS users don't do that - I always see the ugly 'dock' at the bottom on YT videos ;) :D
I don't get why people do that either :o My dock is set to hide all the time.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pmI've never used full screen mode.
I really like it. I also have the menu bar hidden. :o The full fullscreen experience. :hihi: besides: apps like Bitwig don't use the menus anyway, so I don't see a reason for keeping it at sight all the time

edit: If I had one of the new MBPs, though, I would probably leave the menu bar on because of the notch. Don't know if the fullscreen experience I'm used to would work on one of those, too...
Last edited by sQeetz on Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double

sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:40 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 pmI've never used full screen mode.
I really like it. I also have the menu bar hidden. :o The full fullscreen experience. :hihi: besides: apps like Bitwig don't use the menus anyway, so I don't see a reason for keeping it at sight all the time

edit: If I had one of the new MBPs, though, I would probably leave the menu bar on because of the notch. Don't know if the fullscreen experience I'm used to would work on one of those, too...
Yeah, with the new 16" MBP, the full screen mode does nothing a far as size cause the menu bar is up in line with the notch. The menu automatically disappears when you enter full screen and that space is just empty.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:46 pmYeah, with the new 16" MBP, the full screen mode does nothing a far as size cause the menu bar is up in line with the notch. The menu automatically disappears when you enter full screen and that space is just empty.
That's what I thought. thanks :)

sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:16 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:00 pmConsidering macOS users are 30-35% of Bitwig users, I'm surprised I've not heard more about this. Are you sure it isn't isolated to specific plugin(s)? or version of macOS?
It's with every plugin on every MacOS version since I got this MacBook (Big Sur to Monterey)

here is the official answer from the Bitwig team I got on May:
"Hi Thomas​,
​thanks a lot. Unfortunately It looks like currently there's not really a way to improve this due to the way the plugin hosting and window handling works between Bitwig Studio and macOS.

Best regards,
Bitwig Technical Support Team"

Or maybe it really only happens with full screen and indeed most macOS users don't do that - I always see the ugly 'dock' at the bottom on YT videos ;) :D
I don't get why people do that either :o My dock is set to hide all the time.
It's too show solidarity with their Windows brothers who are unable to hide the task bar. :D

In regards to the mouse cursor bug, are you running your plugins as a Bitwig process or as separate, sandboxed processes? They should only need to set the tracking area of the plug-in window so that when it's focused, the cursor behaves properly. If the window is unfocused, despite being on top, the underlying window will control the cursor, like what you are seeing.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:22 pmIn regards to the mouse cursor bug, are you running your plugins as a Bitwig process or as separate, sandboxed processes? They should only need to set the tracking area of the plug-in window so that when it's focused, the cursor behaves properly. If the window is unfocused, despite being on top, the underlying window will control the cursor, like what you are seeing.
It doesn't matter the level of sandboxing. It happens on all levels.

syntonica wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:22 pm It's too show solidarity with their Windows brothers who are unable to hide the task bar. :D
Taskbar hiding is one fundamental thing every Windows User should do. I did. And still do in Parallels :wink: There is no need for it to be visible all the time.

sQeetz wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:29 pm
syntonica wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:22 pmIn regards to the mouse cursor bug, are you running your plugins as a Bitwig process or as separate, sandboxed processes? They should only need to set the tracking area of the plug-in window so that when it's focused, the cursor behaves properly. If the window is unfocused, despite being on top, the underlying window will control the cursor, like what you are seeing.
It doesn't matter the level of sandboxing. It happens on all levels.
Weird. That sounds like Bitwig is probably at fault then and not some obscure Cocoa bug.

That said, seeing the wrong cursor is an age old problem that I'm used to from the Atari ST days, so it doesn't bother me. I'm used to clicking on or grabbing something with as busy bee that doesn't point at all.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:41 pmThat said, seeing the wrong cursor is an age old problem that I'm used to from the Atari ST days, so it doesn't bother me. I'm used to clicking on or grabbing something with as busy bee that doesn't point at all.
I'm just an*l like that. :lol: It bothers me extremely... so much that I sold my Bitwig license.
Still got 8-track, though, just to check out if it gets fixed. Maybe.. who knows

Instead of just using it in a non-fullscreen maximised window?

🤷

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”