Keeping it Minimal And Being Productive

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am a singer mostly when i practice enough
and I play keys , I have wrote so many songs over the years but what really stops me from getting productive is soooo many patches so many plugins.
I have been going through what i do and don't need and making my arsenal more small and because of that i am starting to get more creative for example
using only 10 favourite pad sounds that I like and adding my own effects for quick simple modulations , I'm also getting rid of libraries and stuff
because it has hampered my creativity , i think i have ocd anyway ( not the cleaning kind )
my question is do you think too many options makes you waste time and you find yourself playing with toys instead of actually finishing or learning anything
i see some priducers with thousands of sounds and they make good stuff
so is it only me , i know i need to keep it all small now but do you ? cheers

Very similar discussion going on in this thread :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Virus TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | Maschine+ | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:36 pm Very similar discussion going on in this thread :tu:
Thats interesting but he is giving advice I'm asking for it thank u

"do you think too many options makes you waste time and you find yourself playing with toys instead of actually finishing or learning anything"
not at all. albeit I take exception to denigrating playing with toys :D. No, I go to the situation ready to make something and that's what I do. Sometimes things are shitcanned, and no regrets

I don't collect plugins tho, not my addiction of choice

forget about my jive

if what you want is 'songs' and you're distracted by too many options, chances seem good you're trying to be the producer of your track while making the track, and at a site such as KVR there are all these effing compressor types, and EQ types, and so much to know. This doesn't have to be your concern while tracking, or while arranging (much) and it's more typical to separate into a couple or three different processes, or hats to wear. The people that care a lot about 'multiband splitters' or even linear phase EQs and that are probably not worried about their songcraft, ya know... and that may never be anything you'll use.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrixo9 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:59 pm my question is do you think too many options makes you waste time and you find yourself playing with toys instead of actually finishing or learning anything
It's possible to fall into analysis paralysis, yes.

Not sure if the music genre you want to make will allow it, but maybe you could start by laying down a stripped down version of your song (like, voice, piano, and drums), and then start building up from there. If you want to add a pad, maybe add the first pad you find, and replace/ modify it later. Just a thought, good luck with your music. :party:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”