One Synth Challenge #153: K1v by Nils Schneider (Vovaman wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Think I'm done.

https://soundcloud.com/taptapdoubletap/ ... 70f11fc57d

This is for Fallout fans - the scene is a ballroom dance hall where the dancers are dilapidated robots, stuck in an eternal loop until our character arrives and starts messing things up.

DAW: Live 11

K1V x 20

Ableton effects
EQ8, Limiter, Amp, Compressor, Reverb, Saturator, Drum Buss, Resonator, Utility, Hybrid Reverb, Pitch, Shaper, Colour Limiter, Overdrive, Erosion, Corpus, Shifter, Echo, LFO, Phaser-Flanger, Pitch Hack (for the reverse sounds), Envelope Follower, GrainFreeze, Device Randomiser, Arpeggiator, Auto Filter, Auto Pan.

Third party
Valhalla Freq Echo, Valhalla Supermassive, Valhalla Space Modulator
Last edited by Double Tap on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

https://soundcloud.com/jasinski/winter- ... 51d032c293

Ableton live
Saturation, EQ8, Glue Compressor, Amp, Cabinet, Pedal, Echo, Auto FIlter
Super Massive, Limiter6.

Update

The track is pretty rich on the higher frequencies. I already have a high pass filter around 19k cutting some of them out. Do you people feel it still has too much higher frequency content which maybe is a bit tiring on the ears and the filter should cut deeper?

Thanks for any feedback.

:tu:

And now for something completely different…

I really don’t know how the whole thing materialized as I only remember that I was thinking of skipping this month since I was wondering what kind of sound design you can do with basically a 4 wave/sound mixer and limited AM possibilities.

Three weeks later I have to admit that K1v is definitely a keeper. It has a distinctive character and messing around with it is quite rewarding as you end up with highly usable and expressive sounds and unique timbres!

Anyhow without further ado I present my submission for this month.

https://soundcloud.com/user-38230094/th ... 6aec41a63d

Session Details

FerricTDSmkII
DensitymkIII
LoudMax

K1v x10

GMonoBass
DC1A3
Azurite
TAL-Filter-2
ReaEQ x7
BC Phaser
Wider x4
Krush
Dimension Expander
Grain Strain
Transverb
Valhalla Supermassive
Stochas
BC Flanger
VariSpeed
TAL Reverb 4
Leet Delay 2
Last edited by phankiejankie303 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok folks. Here's a track from DoctorBob heavily influenced by Cream and bands contemporary to them. Brings back memories of my student days!

DAW : Reaper with 21 * K1v
Track FX: Bass Professor, AradazAmp2_Green, Boogex, Classic Phaser, JS Distortion, FuzzPlus3, Leslie, Mr Donald, WOK Leslie, Oril River, OTT, Reaeq, LFX-1310
Master FX: TDR VOS SlickEQ, MSED, Limiter No.6
Meter: SPAN, Youlean Loudness
Stats: LUFS: -11.2, DR: 9

Enjoy at Volume 11

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/volume11
Last edited by doctorbob on Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Submission for November
Link removed for the moment. The multilayered bass made of inverse saws works perfectly on my DT1770Pro but sounds like soup in my car. Lets see if i can do something about it :(

K1V x 21
Daw: Cubase 11
Stock Cubase Effects:
Delay, Reverb, Compressor, Brickwall Limiter, Maximizer, StepFilter, AutoPan, stock EQ of course
3rd Party Plugins:
Youlean Loudness Meter 2 Free, Auburn Sounds Couture Free
Last edited by Neptune on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Here's my track.

https://soundcloud.com/madmcman/bliss-k1v

28 k1v's
ReEQ
Valhalla Supermassive
Saike Not OTT
STFU
Tremolo
TDR Nova
ReaXComp
Fresh Air
Smooth Limiter
Wider
Saike Reflectosaurus
Midi Transpose Notes
Vastaus
Transpire
Saike Swellotron
EpicVerb
BlueCat's Flanger 3
ReaVerbate
RoughRider 3
Densitymk3
Leet Delay 2
TDR Kotelnikov
Saike Transience
Saike Tanh Saturation
CHOW Tape Model
Saike 4band splitter
Bass Professor mark 2
Huge Booty Bass Enhancer
Filther
Ripple Phaser
ReaComp
Bark of the dog 2
Saturation

Hi BBlunt - I love the tune you submitted!, but I just noticed that in your third-party plugin list you have two Toneboosters plugins, Compressor and Equaliser.
BBLUNT Music wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm [...]
THIRD-PARTY Plugins:
ToneBoosters Compressor
ToneBoosters Equalizer
[...]
Are these free versions? I know that Barricade has a CM version, but not aware of any others. If they are free then awesome, I'll crawl back under my rock : ) but if they're not, you might be in breach of the rules this month : (

From the 1st post in the thread
bjporter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm Rules Note:
  • Effects: For this month only the rules on Fx type are relaxed i.e. modulations, distortions, granular etc. may all be used (and can go full 11!) as long as the source sound is from the K1v - no external sound generators or audio rate modulations. All Fx used must be freeware and be freely available at the start of the competition, no betas.

My submission.

https://soundcloud.com/treeheated/iyou

A fun idea for a variant rule! I'm not that excited about romplers but I did enjoy the chance to learn how to make a special sound using effects. I planned to learn dblue Glitch and use it all over the place, but as the composition evolved and other ideas came up, the glitch ended up taking a more minor role, just towards the end of the track. Some cool sounds came out of Xhip Vocal and Xhip Quantizer and these got a more central focus. And a lot of the sound of the track comes from moving resonances around in an EQ, or simply going overboard with reverb.

I found myself in the rare situation of getting a little frustrated at Reaper here and there. Mucking around with modulators, putting them on anything and everything, is something that's easy and fun in other DAWs but a little bit of a nuisance in Reaper. At one point I was thinking of modulating the speed of an LFO with another LFO, had to look online to see how to do it, and decided I couldn't be bothered. Any suggestions for plugins or extensions that improve the situation would be appreciated.

Work time: 19h, plus a couple of hours learning/experimenting with new effects.

DAW: Reaper
Free plugins:
- Nils' K1v x20
- ++pitchdelay x1
- dblue Glitch x1
- OrilRiver x12
- STFU x1
- TDR Nova x1
- Xhip Quantizer x1
- Xhip Vocal x4
Stock plugins:
- 4-Tap Phaser x1
- Chorus (Stereo) x1
- ReaComp x1
- ReaDelay x6
- ReaEQ x14
- ReaLimit x4
- Waveshaping Distortion x2
And util/viz plugins.

Okay, so after suffering migraines for some time, I’ve actually woken up with a clearish head, so I thought I would give the OsC another go, changing the offending reverb
https://soundcloud.com/eauson/disguise-the-limit

Reaper
15 odd instances
Used fx

Many thanks to those who listened & commented on the previous version which I will leave up for now :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

My entry for this month. Apologies in advance for the length -- I am normally critical of overly-long OSC songs and this clocks in at around 7 min.... sorry! :dog:

I really enjoyed this synth - especially not having to make drum sounds out of noise!
37 Instances in Logic Pro X. Logic EQ, Compressors, Reverbs, Nova Free, Leveling Tool.
Enjoy....

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/osc-153 ... hine-mix-2

Lit Alto (Nailing the Sole Feeture)

When I first tried out K1v I was so disappointed, with like 6 instances it was making crackling noises with audio dropouts, so I thought I wouldn't enter this month. Turns out it was the ”Tomita” patch causing all the troubles(?!).
No clue why this patch messes up my system.

Then I started improvising with my guitar (in MIDI mode) and came with up with so many new things/ideas that it was mind-boggling.

The first sketch of the song was made.

One idea led to another and many parts were made but then I started playing with a real guitar over the track and some things were so good only with real guitar and not so good with MIDI that I thought of not entering the track to OSC.

The reason being that some funky guitar licks do not translate well to the MIDI domain - especially not the K1v of all VSTs! ;)

But then I changed my mind and made a whole new arrangement.

So several really cool parts of the song (atleast to my ears) have been omitted. Also for the sake of keeping a certain structure and mostly due to the length of the track.

Even with several parts omitted the song is still 8 minutes long.

Midi controllers:
Boss SY-1000 (Guitar to MIDI mode)
C-Thru Music's Axis-49

Number of instances of Nils' K1v:

DAW:
Cubase Pro 11

Stock Cubase effects made by Steinberg:
Vst Bass Amp, Vst Amp Rack, Autopan, Stepfilter, Chorus, Limiter

Free effects used:
Analog Obsession: Brit, Pre, ReLife & Sweetdrums

(please check out Analog Obsession - Not only the best stuff out there (!!!) but also completely FREE)

Thomas Mundt's Loudmax
Melda: Mcharmverb & Mvibrato
Valhalla Supermassive
Chow Tape Model
TDR Kotelnikov

https://soundcloud.com/user-414219875/l ... le-feeture
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Hello again.
My second month here and this is what I've made.
I will like to thank to Nils Schneider for make this Emulation vst. I didn't knew this Kawai K1 Synth but when I started to listen its sound it remembered me to the Korg M1 waves. Yes maybe this is synth has more cheap sound than the Korg but it also makes me travel to that age.
And after listen those sounds I thought to make an old school house track with that first of the 90s feeling.
I hope I have achieved that purpose.

Created in Renoise
-17 Instances of K1v
-Internal Renoise effects: Delay, mpReverb, Compressor, Digital Filter, EQ 5, Distortion, Maximizer
-External fx: Valhalla Supermassive, jb_Broadcast

Good luck and for sure i will have fun time listening your creations

https://soundcloud.com/davi_dj/kawai-dreams

treeheated wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:50 pm I found myself in the rare situation of getting a little frustrated at Reaper here and there. Mucking around with modulators, putting them on anything and everything, is something that's easy and fun in other DAWs but a little bit of a nuisance in Reaper. At one point I was thinking of modulating the speed of an LFO with another LFO, had to look online to see how to do it, and decided I couldn't be bothered. Any suggestions for plugins or extensions that improve the situation would be appreciated.
Get MuTools "MUX"! Its a whole modular synth you can use within Reaper, very flexible and easy to use. You may use other VSTs within MUX - and with the upcoming new version 9 you will may even use an additional composer (!) within Reaper ...

Hi folks,
this time I'll try again! First I planned a single-instance using K1v's 8x-Multi-Setup, but unfortunately there are no eight audio-outs in VST2. So I go the standard way:
https://soundcloud.com/nenneb/seeminorw ... -challenge
Produced in Mutools MuLab8-32bit using
K1v (15x)
MHorseP3 (Master and Bass)
Abstract Chamber (2x)
LoudMax (4x)
ClassicDelay (3x)
AzuriteMultiChorus (1x)
Wider32 (1x)
Widener (intern 1x)
Chorus (intern 5x)
EQ (intern 3x)

Hope you like it! :-)

Yeah I just can't get anything done with this synth. I think it's good for adding a layer in a song full of other synths, there are some patches I like, but pretty bad for every sound in a song.

I guess if you're making a song in the Really bad 90's B Movie Soundtrack genre this could be an ace in the hole.

Return to “Instruments”