MuLab 9 pre-beta (+clip launcher video)

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
humanboeing
KVRist
130 posts since 17 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:40 am

And for anyone interested, Mulab's new clip launcher can run independently from the timeline composer.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11280 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:49 am

humanboeing wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:40 am
And for anyone interested, Mulab's new clip launcher can run independently from the timeline composer.
What does that mean exactly? Both Bitwig and Live can have both playing at the same time, but on a given track only on of them can play.
FOR SALE: Live 11 Suite $375



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3000 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:51 am

humanboeing wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:40 am
And for anyone interested, Mulab's new clip launcher can run independently from the timeline composer.
Call me dumb, but what that means really? In Bitwig you can have them run simultaneously which is an perk in my book, independently means what really?

humanboeing
KVRist
130 posts since 17 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:36 am

If you want to sync the clip launcher with the timeline composer you can do it. A sync mode can be set for every scene and every single clip as well as the timeline has a live sync mode. You can trigger clips, clip scenes via midi or gui as well as you can trigger a loop from the composer that way (or start it from a certain point) . But the main thing is they can play apart from each other. My answer may not be sufficient as I haven't explored this feature completely yet, this is a new approach which is not present in other daws, so to complete it let me quote Jo from the introductory video:

"Note that the live clip matrix can play independently from the timeline, the live matrix and the timeline are two complementary tools to make music with and they will play in perfect sync thanks to the quantization options, but you have the freedom to use the live matrix independently from the timeline and that's different from most other DAWs that have a live matrix because if you start playing clips there, then the timeline will automatically start playing too, and imo that's a disadvantage. I've chosen to do it differently because this way it gives more creative freedom and more musical options."

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3000 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:07 am

Don't understand how is that different than Bitwig, you can play only clip launcher or only timeline or both simultaneously, you can trigger clips wherever you are in timeline, you can just use clip launcher without it playing anything in timeline, think Logic have the same approach too, what is here different and what's the gain?

humanboeing
KVRist
130 posts since 17 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:24 am

Is that the case? Last time I played with Bitwig I'm sure when I played a clip from the launcher the timeline started going, perhaps I was doing something wrong or they updated it?

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3000 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:42 am

It's playing the timeline of course, but not the clips in it, you can choose to play only the timeline, only the launcher or both, but yeah, there's global play button that will engage in the timeline nonetheless, even if it doesn't play the clips from it, what's the perks of not doing it like that?

pinki
KVRian
1134 posts since 2 Nov, 2006

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 am

Two different tempi? Now that would be interesting! I've longed for any piece of DAW-like software to have two genuinely independent clocks.Is this it?
Last edited by pinki on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humanboeing
KVRist
130 posts since 17 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:02 am

Two different tempos? Let me blow your mind: you can have as many composers as your processing power can handle, and they ofc can have different tempos, different arrangement, different everything pretty much, I'll attach a screenshot to give you an idea.

To passing bye: I'll have to check Bitwig to further discuss the topic, it feels like there is some sort of confusion in our conversation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3000 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:08 am

Ah cool, you can have numerous clip launchers + timeline combos, in Bitwig there's only one, here I can see 3 of them, it's something like Studio One's Scratch Pad + Bitwig/Live clip launcher on steroids, really interesting concept.

User avatar
Michael L
KVRAF
3898 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 am

dellboy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:33 am
Ah, right, so the current beta is just for registered users
but the public beta is only in a week or 2
buying happiness

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3000 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am

As I got it, plan for MuLab is to be used as plugin in other DAW's too, man that's brilliant, with seamless integration, every DAW could have this clip launching madness added to it and MuLab could become something like ultimate sketchpad you can have on your thumb drive, than incorporated into your favorite DAW.

humanboeing
KVRist
130 posts since 17 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:24 am

Yeah, let's hope it gets some attention when it drops.

dellboy
KVRAF
1863 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:55 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:07 am
Don't understand how is that different than Bitwig, you can play only clip launcher or only timeline or both simultaneously, you can trigger clips wherever you are in timeline, you can just use clip launcher without it playing anything in timeline, think Logic have the same approach too, what is here different and what's the gain?
I am currently demoing Bitwig and I have not found a way to switch off the timeline, I have just set up a loop for the time being to stop it. Whats the proper way to do it?

I have found it annoying that the timeline keeps running as I have recorded lots of audio clips of my hardware to use in sampler tracks and have just left them cluttered on the timeline and they obviously trigger when I hit start. So as a novice I straight away see a reason to run the launcher and timeline independently.

Passing Bye
KVRAF
3000 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm

dellboy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:55 am
Passing Bye wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:07 am
Don't understand how is that different than Bitwig, you can play only clip launcher or only timeline or both simultaneously, you can trigger clips wherever you are in timeline, you can just use clip launcher without it playing anything in timeline, think Logic have the same approach too, what is here different and what's the gain?
I am currently demoing Bitwig and I have not found a way to switch off the timeline, I have just set up a loop for the time being to stop it. Whats the proper way to do it?

I have found it annoying that the timeline keeps running as I have recorded lots of audio clips of my hardware to use in sampler tracks and have just left them cluttered on the timeline and they obviously trigger when I hit start. So as a novice I straight away see a reason to run the launcher and timeline independently.
You can't switch it off, think in my next response I confirmed that, both are playing in same time, but you can choose where the clips play, from clip launcher only, from timeline only or from both, if you choose from clip launcher it will mute the clips in timeline, but it will still play there.

Why are you recording in timeline, isn't point of clip launcher area to not clutter the timeline with different clips?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”