Any Thoughts On TC MD4 Native?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
PAK
KVRian
1139 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 pm

The other factor to keep in mind, in terms of TC VSS4, is that it prompted Relab to take VSR S24 off the market and redo their take on it. So there should be some major competition to VSS4, from Relab, at some point in 2022..

Muziksculp
KVRAF
1792 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:35 pm

PAK
KVRian
1139 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:53 pm

Hehe, yep!.. that one. Takes its design cues from the System 6000 version too (which I prefer the look of Vs the "Star Trek" UI)
Will be interesting to see how they compare (sound and CPU wise) when finally done. :)

Muziksculp
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:56 pm

My guess it's done, but not sure why Relab is not releasing it.

dreamvoid
KVRist
352 posts since 8 Jun, 2009

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 am

Muziksculp wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:56 pm
My guess is, there are either legal problems if they rebuilt the Quantec algorithm or it is still too computational intensive for CPUs.
It must be very hard to get something out even with 80% of the Quantec hardware quality. That seems why they chose the old Quantec from the 1980ies. The newer ones have much more computational power and the reverbs are so dense that these sound more 'real' then real ones - so to say.
(I own one of the last Quantecs and one from the 1990ies.)
Last edited by dreamvoid on Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muziksculp
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:27 am

dreamvoid wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 am
Muziksculp wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:56 pm
My guess is, there are either legal problems if they rebuilt the Quantec algorithm or it is still too computational to intensive for CPUs.
It must be very hard to get something out even with 80% of the Quantec hardware quality. That seems why they chose the old Quantec from the 1980ies. The newer ones have much more computational power and the reverbs are so dense that these sound more 'real' then real ones - so to say.
(I own one of the last Quantecs and one from the 1990ies.)
But how would Relab have access to the Quantec algorithm ?

dreamvoid
KVRist
352 posts since 8 Jun, 2009

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am

Muziksculp wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:27 am

But how would Relab have access to the Quantec algorithm ?
Probably they wouldn't, but the technology behind the Quantec sound is known as descriptions. I don't know if these are patented - I assume they are.
What I understand is, that Relab rebuilds the results of the algorithms with own technology. They don't get it licensed. The Quantec results cannot be mimicked ('easily'), hence the need to somehow rebuild the underlaying algorithm, which could infringe patents.
Ok, that is some speculation on my side, something which I usually don't like to do. But, this is too interesting on many levels and I always wondered what Relab is actually doing.

Muziksculp
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 am

I guess, we just have to wait and see what Relab does next, release it or announce something about it.

jens
KVRAF
21457 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:03 am

I don't understand the connection between the TC 6000 and the Quantec? How did you guys suddenly jump (basically mid-setence it seems to me) from a Relab-emulation of the former to one of the latter? :?

jens
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:12 am

'kay - thanks for clearing that one up. :razz:

dblock
KVRAF
2711 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:55 am

I own MD4 and like it but compared to my Softube DS1 and EQ1 the sound just doesn't seem to have any depth or dimension. Just sounds flat to me. I still like it but not enough to use it. When the EQ1 is too heavy for a track cpu wise, I'll alternate with Ivory 5.

v1o
KVRAF
3114 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm

electro wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:33 am
For Mastering in Wavelab 10 I would look at the DMG Limitless and Eventide bundle by Newfangled which I think is still on sale. I just don't see that combo getting beat.
There's no comp in the Newfangled bundle, either single or multi band.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

jens
KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 am

He didn't mention the word "comp" in his post which you quoted and replied to, so what is it that you are trying to communicate here? That Elevate is not really suitable for mastering because there's no "comp" in there? Speak freely! We're all ears! (just hang on for a moment while I go and fetch some popcorn)

Oh, and let's momentarily ignore the fact that technically a limiter is a special type of compressor. I'm pretty sure banal technalities like this aren't really your thing....

v1o
KVRAF
3114 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:33 am

jens wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 am
He didn't mention the word "comp" in his post which you quoted and replied to, so what is it that you are trying to communicate here? That Elevate is not really suitable for mastering because there's no "comp" in there? Speak freely! We're all ears! (just hang on for a moment while I go and fetch some popcorn)

Oh, and let's momentarily ignore the fact that technically a limiter is a special type of compressor. I'm pretty sure banal technalities like this aren't really your thing....
Not at all. You should compare things like for like. A de'esser is technically a compressor but who uses a de'esser to shape the envelope of the signal. In the mastering process limiting and compression are often separate stages. For instance you may decide you want the gentle character of a Varimu comp on the stereo bus, you're not not going to be able to achieve that sound by slapping on a limiter that has infinite ratios and fast attack times. The main reason engineers use MD4 is the sound of the multiband compressor. The limiter is probably not a patch on newer stuff like Ozone and only recently in this native version was able to prevent ISPs. I see Elevate as being complementary but not comparable to MD4. Since it does limiting, clipping, transient shaping and EQ. But doesn't have a multiband comp.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

jens
KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:32 am

Ah, got you now - fair enough - it's a valid point well made actually...

albeit I don't think Elevate ist really comparable to conventional limiters either.

Return to “Effects”