CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/zWbmY_kdkoY

Compared to top tape plugins.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 pm Compared to top tape plugins.
ChowDSP deserves better than this "YT influencer". Stop posting his vids as if he's an authority on anything. He's not. Use your own ears to determine what works for you. You might even read the manual which will put you MILES ahead of this nitwit.

Tchad Froom wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:13 am
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 pm Compared to top tape plugins.
ChowDSP deserves better than this "YT influencer". Stop posting his vids as if he's an authority on anything. He's not. Use your own ears to determine what works for you. You might even read the manual which will put you MILES ahead of this nitwit.
You gotta chill, dude. No one said the guy in the video is an "authority". No one needs to be an "authority" to make videos about something, even plugin comparisons.

I like his Snake Oil videos. He knows his stuff.

I think so too and he didn't said anything bad about the plugin, by contrary. As for the fact that the plugin has many controls and in some cases this can be a problem, he's right. I was just thinking, it would really help having an easy interface, with basic controls like input, output, speed etc. for fast dialing and a button to switch to advanced interface, if you feel you need more control.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:30 am I think so too and he didn't said anything bad about the plugin, by contrary. As for the fact that the plugin has many controls and in some cases this can be a problem, he's right. I was just thinking, it would really help having an easy interface, with basic controls like input, output, speed etc. for fast dialing and a button to switch to advanced interface, if you feel you need more control.
A mode change?

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 pm https://youtu.be/zWbmY_kdkoY

Thanks for sharing! I thought it was quite a fair review/comparison. I completely agree with his statement at the end that "they all sound great, but they're all meant for a different niche, or a different type of person".

Something I've been thinking about recently with the UI, is not neccesarily that there are "too many" parameters, but that it's not obvious which parameters are the most "important". I get that different parameters are more important to different users, but for example, I think that "Hysteresis Mode" is a very important parameter, but I can't think of a way to make it more obvious to the user, beyond just moving the drop-down menu to a more central location.

And yeah, it can definitely be overwhelming when you first open the plugin and see a barrage of knobs. I don't have any major UI updates planned for the moment, but I'm not opposed to doing something different down the line.

Thanks,
Jatin

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:34 am
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:30 am I think so too and he didn't said anything bad about the plugin, by contrary. As for the fact that the plugin has many controls and in some cases this can be a problem, he's right. I was just thinking, it would really help having an easy interface, with basic controls like input, output, speed etc. for fast dialing and a button to switch to advanced interface, if you feel you need more control.
A mode change?
Something like that, but more like hiding most controls under a button, similar to EchoBoy. You have setting that you'll mostly use on the main interface and if you click "Tweak" and "Style edit" you get more in depth controls.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:44 pm
heavymetalmixer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:34 am
A mode change?
Something like that, but more like hiding most controls under a button, similar to EchoBoy. You have setting that you'll mostly use on the main interface and if you click "Tweak" and "Style edit" you get more in depth controls.
That's a pretty good idea.

Another option to make it a little more beginner-friendly would be more presets. The parameters are here to get close to various models of tape machine in varying states of repair.
Image Image Image Image

Yeah, presets that emulate different machines would be awesome!

CHOW IS EXCELLENT

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:44 pm Something like that, but more like hiding most controls under a button, similar to EchoBoy. You have setting that you'll mostly use on the main interface and if you click "Tweak" and "Style edit" you get more in depth controls.
That's what I was thinking though specifically like Klanghelms DC8C2, same basic layout but more controls are exposed in expert mode.

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/DC8C.html
DC8Ceasy2peak.jpeg
DC8Cexpertpeak.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:57 pm https://youtu.be/zWbmY_kdkoY

I like the high level of control available in the CHOW plugin. I also prefer its minimalistic, small GUI layout. I don't need a lot of eye candy (e.g., an image of a tape deck, fake screws, etc). It doesn't take that long to learn the ins and outs of the plugin. Using an EQ analyzer like the free EQ Curve plugin helps in understanding how the plugin parameters affect the EQ curve.

I like the interface and its simplicity too, but I must admit at first it felt overwhelming and this might stop new users from actually trying it. Musicians/engineers don't have a lot of time to learn new tools and I think it could be good having an easy interface to start with, just like this one but with less controls, and with a click of a button to see all controls that are available right now.

An example:

Return to “Effects”